Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UQ for Winter Hammocking- Old topic old discussion but new for hammocking newbie like me!

I started feeling a bit cold during my last backpacking trip with my Phoenix 20°F when the temp was around freezing (32°F). So I practically confirmed that the rating of the UQ is similar to a sleeping bag where you only feel comfortable at about 10°F above the rated temp of the UQ.....
    I looked around and found none that actually sells UQ that is rated below 0°F. There must be a reason for that...I think....I know UQ sellers such as HG will customize the UQ to whatever the temp rating that you need, but that will add cost and weight...so do you know why people dont make regular UQ that is rated below 0°F when sleeping bags actually do...?
    I have a cuben tarp (HG) with doors and am seeking for creative ways to be able to get by in a hammock in the range of 0°F to -10°F in Ohio and PA Winter weather, what are your suggestions? thank you.....

I'm pretty sure Shug will offer his insight. The man has substantial cold-weather hanging experience.

If he's not around to pipe in, go looking for his vids.

If a manufacturer here were to have a regular offering as you suggest, it probably wouldn't be priced all that much cheaper than having it "custom" made. And of course it's going to be heavier. There obviously isn't enough demand to make it as a "regular" item. The irony here is that they're all custom!

I think there is a much stronger market for cold weather sleeping bags (and the good ones will set you back a bunch of bucks) than there is for the UQ you describe, just as there is a bigger market for sleeping bags and pads than UQs and TQs.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Subzero I use ccf pads exclusively. They are bulky, but they provide the insulation necessary for the extreme temps. Minus 22 f so far, and quite warm.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    The issue is sleeping bags are placed directly on insulation thereby helping to give a more accurate insulation reading. With hammocks there is more ventilation robbing warmth. There are several threads discussing ways to increase the warmth, heat a water bottle use a UQ cover, hang a blanket over the top quilt, wear insulated clothing, eat a good meal before going to sleep etc.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I had to go the custom route for my -50C quilt set. Unfortunately, the place I got them from is no longer operating. You always have the option of layering. I do this for my son when he comes out during the winter. Dual -7C quilts gets him down to about -15-20C.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Go with a zero degree HG incubator with 2-4 oz of overfill. Take a 3/4 to 1" closed cell foam pad and put that under your feet. I used the foam pad off the back of my pack. If that doesn't cut it, add your 20 degree phoenix on top of all that but not too tight. Stip down to a good base layer that's not too tight or too lose. If you wear more than that, let it be some down layers. Play with it until you get it dialed in. I'm a cold sleeper. A 20 degree quilt can be chilly to me when it's 36. If the temp is going to be down around 0 then I'd want 0 degree quilts with overfill, the pad under my feet and I'd consider down booties. I'd also recommend a down hat.

Gideon

PS, for temperatures like you're talking about you have to be realistic about the weight. It takes weight to be warm in extreme cold whether it's with hammocks or tents and pads.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have HG 40*, 20* and 0* underquilts. I don't plan on buying any -10* or -20* F underquilts - I'll just stack my quilts for those conditions.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    I have found that when pushing the 0 degree mark that some type of a pod, Spindrift or equivalent really boosts the temperature rating of your quilts. Otherwise, the cold air around you will push your quilts to the limit. The added protection given by these add ons will make hammock camping much more comfortable. That being said, condensation will become an issue when you use these. So you will have to experiment with venting to eliminate this.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, except bears...because bears will just kill you.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I just plan to stack quilts when the extreme cold hits.
    My plan is to get a long 0* UQ that will engulf my full length 20* UQ which should take me nicely into the deep negatives.
    For TQ I will have a 40*, 20*, 0*, and a 15* SB. (everything is 850 dry down) So a combination of them should take care of the worst negative temps I will ever see.
    Also I will use a cotton canvas drop cloth hung over the ridge line draped to the ground to keep the weather (snow and wind) out or set up my DIY just made Canvas Winter shelter, which will be wood stove ready, but have no intent of feeding the fire by night cause I wanna sleep.
    Either way once I get all the bits it is gonna be a lot of fun back yard testing it all out....By Feb I will be salivating for some -40 nights...I think haha.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Dude, you are more hardcore than me! I hammock from Mar-Nov only and I live in the mid atlantic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast