Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hammock Gear leg contour on a 3/4 length quilt...will I miss it?

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a 3/4 length underquilt for 3 season use. At first I was going to go with a 30° quilt to use from 30-70° ranges, and would use my full length Incubator 0 for 0-30°, but after reading plenty of posts on here, it seems that a 20° quilt is even more versatile, and can still be used comfortably up to 70° with not much more venting than what a 30° quilt would require (please correct me on this if I am dead wrong and will overheat).

Anyway, I'm not in a position right now to buy another goose down quilt, no matter how much I want one, so I am going to try and jump on either the HG Phoenix Econ 20 or the Loco Libre Saver Series Habanero 20° while they are still being offered. I would probably get the Habanero at the same 52" length as the Phoenix.

From what I can tell, the Loco Libre quilt would give me 10.4 oz of down, as opposed to 8.8 oz in the HG. The LL at 52" would also be lighter at 17.4 oz compared to the Phoenix at 19.15 oz. The Phoenix is 1" wider at 45" opposed to 44" on the LL...and that doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I've used a 41" quilt several times and never had issues, even though it wasn't ideal.

My main question is, does the contour "leg shelf" cut of the Phoenix make a big deal or negligible difference in a 3/4 length quilt? I love my Incubator and really love that HG contour, but for a 3/4 length quilt, when both quilts have draft collars, it seems like getting 1.6 oz more down while still getting a lighter quilt would be the logical way to go in terms of weight and value (LL is $1.05 more), unless that leg contour just makes the HG design that much better.

Does anyone have much experience with a Phoenix AND another 3/4 length quilt that can speak to whether or not I would miss this? Sorry if this is a repost. I searched through several threads to see if this exact topic of the contour was discussed already and couldn't find anything that fully settled my debate.

Thanks!
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I have a 3/4 Phoenix and a couple 3/4 UQs from Wilderness Logic. Im fine grabbing any of these. I don't even think about the cut.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Having both full length and 3/4s...I use 3/4 most of the time.
    Here is some UQ stuff to peruse if you choose......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Don't know if you'd miss it or not; but I love my 3/4 length LL Saver Series Habanero. It snugs up very well, and has almost no fiddle factor once adjusted to your liking.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a 0* Incubator, a 20* Phoenix, and a 40* Phoenix. I think the Phoenix UQ is perfectly fine for the temps it is designed for - but I wouldn't use a Phoenix below its temp rating (actually I use the 10* buffer rule, so I never use my 20* Phoenix if the expected overnight low is 30* F or lower - I go with the 0* Incubator).

I just don't get all that cold at temps of 30* or higher if I have a properly rated UQ, and the 3/4 Phoenix design is just fine for those temps. I don't even use a footpad in the TQ at 30* or higher.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-13-2017 at 19:53.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Having both full length and 3/4s...I use 3/4 most of the time.
    Here is some UQ stuff to peruse if you choose......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug
    Oh, Shug...it's cute that you think I haven't already spent hundreds of hours watching and re-watching your videos lol

But in all seriousness - love that playlist! I just tried to make my first underquilt video (just a product review) to start a YouTube channel on a trip this weekend, and halfway through filming it I quit because I realized no matter how I edited it, it would be boring garbage. Don't know how you make such quality stuff!
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

I have been looking at the saver/economy quilts lately, and am also somewhat baffled by the weight difference. From my understanding, both use ion 1.1 fabric, and both use 800 fp duck down. I believe the hammock gear uses a taper style and the saver is more-so rectangular. As you said, the hammock gear uses 8.8 ounces of down and the saver series uses 10.4. Lastly, the saver series that you plan on getting has a 1 inch bigger width. And yet, the hammock gear quilt weighs more? It seems, given the fact that they are both using ion fabric, both have draft collars, and both are using the same fill power down that the hammock gear should weigh less. Maybe I'm missing something here, and someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hammock Gear leg contour on a 3/4 length quilt...will I miss it?

I think the HG Econ is actually the one that is 45" wide and the LL is 44", so it explains at least a little of it, but that one inch width difference offsetting it that much more than the 1.6 oz difference in down is really making me scratch my head for the same reasons you listed haha.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawk View Post
    I think the HG Econ is actually the one that is 45" wide and the LL is 44", so it explains at least a little of it, but that one inch width difference offsetting it that much more than the 1.6 oz difference in down is really making me scratch my head for the same reasons you listed haha.
    Could be a difference in grosgrain channels, and little things like that which add up.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig View Post
    I have been looking at the saver/economy quilts lately, and am also somewhat baffled by the weight difference. From my understanding, both use ion 1.1 fabric, and both use 800 fp duck down. I believe the hammock gear uses a taper style and the saver is more-so rectangular. As you said, the hammock gear uses 8.8 ounces of down and the saver series uses 10.4. Lastly, the saver series that you plan on getting has a 1 inch bigger width. And yet, the hammock gear quilt weighs more? It seems, given the fact that they are both using ion fabric, both have draft collars, and both are using the same fill power down that the hammock gear should weigh less. Maybe I'm missing something here, and someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this.
    Our saver is 44" in the center and has a dual differential cut with a taper on both ends. I can't say if our taper is more extreme or not, since I've never compared. Are there other small differences? I'm sure, but I can only speak for my gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast