DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    None at the moment
    Insulation
    DIY comforter UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings

First night sleeping in hammock...

As some of you may know, I completed my DIY tablecloth hammock yesterday. I decided to sleep in my hammock last night to see how it is. Well... I didn't sleep so well. I think it's error on my part, so will give it another few nights. I do believe it's going to take a bit of tweaking to get right.

I'm also wondering if the hammock is too short, too. I feel like my head is right on the edge of the hammock. I think I'll have to order one of the longer tablecloths in the near future and give that a try.

I even rigged up my bed comforter as a makeshift underquilt (almost peapod-like). Best to get all the kinks worked out now, before getting too deep in it, eh?

how long and wide are the hammock? if you post a pic or 2 someone may be able to give a suggestion for a more comfortable night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    All those things may be a factor. Also, just keep in mind no matter what hammock you have your very first night is going to be restless as you adjust as well. Here's to many more better nights hanging.

Suspension
    whoopie slings
    All of the above. And play with the ridgeline length, maybe raise the foot a little.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    None at the moment
    Insulation
    DIY comforter UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ktitan View Post
    how long and wide are the hammock? if you post a pic or 2 someone may be able to give a suggestion for a more comfortable night.
    It's the standard 60" x 126" tablecloth from tableclothsfactory. I have pictures in the other thread in the DIY section.

Thanks for the encouragement, Pheonix.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I don't recall the size but I got a tablecloth larger than that, and made an adjustable ridgeline that worked much like a whoopie sling. After gradually adjusting length, and ridgeline, I came up with a very comfortable configuration, then began attempts to make my own, only to surrender to my better judgement and just buy a professionally made DangerBird, because my sewing skills weren't up to double layering with multi-pull zipper covers etc.

My suggestion is get a larger blank and make a pair of whoopies and a whoopie like ridgeline and play. If you're not counting grams and are into comfort, 72" is not too wide by much. 11' is long enough for my 210lb 5'9" chassis to lay flat enough for comfort, and as a bonus there's enough headroom to the ridgeline I can sit up and change shirts with ease. Not as closed in feeling as my HH Explorer by any means.

Just some ideas for your consideration. Oh, I had to 'force' myself to sleep in a hammock for a week straight but by 4th night was very comfortable. I have slept more nights in my Thunderbird since I got it than my select comfort (or any) bed, so that should give you a clue to how comfortable you can sleep in a hammock.

Have fun experimenting, the journey is also a reward.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    None at the moment
    Insulation
    DIY comforter UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Thanks, SteveJJ. The ridgeline I have is a DIY UCR adjustable ridgeline made from 1.75mm Lash-it. I think my error was trying to sleep on my back, whereas normally a side sleeper. I think a little extra length (and width) won't hurt, though. I really appreciate all the suggestions from you and all who offered assistance.

P.S. Weight doesn't matter because this hammock will be my daily sleeper inside my bedroom.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Just don't give up. I'm normally a side sleeper in my bed and laying on my back in my hammock feels weird sometimes. I usually end up rolling over to a halfway side sleeping position facing outside of hammock. My hammock is a little over 10ft long and 60in wide and I'm right about 6ft tall. Just stick with it. Try lounging about and find your comfort zone in the hammock. I find even a bad nights sleep in my hammock is more rest full than a good night in the bed. Even if i wake up a half dozen times I'm more refreshed, guess i sleep deeper while i am snoozing in that swaying goodness.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I doubt your hammock is too short. If it's your first night in a hammock, expect to spend many more nights before it feels natural. In my case, I find it pretty hard to let go of 50 years of sleeping in a bed or on the ground. Sleeping in a hammock isn't what I'm accustomed to, so I always have a little learning curve (the first night usually sucks).

Side sleeper in a bed, back sleeper in a hammock - it always takes some getting used to . . . .
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    As others said don't give up.
    It takes a bit to get used to sleeping in a hammock (though some just go comatose from the start).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast