Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pertex

Images
    I have used pertex for a hammock sock and many of my hammocks are also made from pertex. It is good as a hammock sock and a nice material to work with being less slippery than some nylons.

While we struggle to get some material in the UK, pertex is not one of them. There is a seller on the UK Ebay who has it at a good price and may ship to the states. With a favourable exchange rate I think you could likely buy a small UK village at the moment!!

Nigel

Nigel,

The sock looks good and a great addition for wet UK conditions.

I've thought before that a Winter Blackbird option would be great with a pertex or momentum top, in place of (as opposed to - in addition to) the no-see-um. Perhaps with just a small mesh panel for additional venting/breathability. A sock is great but does make the weight of the netting redundant when the weather's too cold for the bugs.

Whaddya think Warbonnet-guy? Would that be a custom option you would consider making up?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    I have used pertex for a hammock sock and many of my hammocks are also made from pertex. It is good as a hammock sock and a nice material to work with being less slippery than some nylons.

While we struggle to get some material in the UK, pertex is not one of them. There is a seller on the UK Ebay who has it at a good price and may ship to the states. With a favourable exchange rate I think you could likely buy a small UK village at the moment!!

Nigel
    Nigel,

Thanks for the info! That was exactly what I was looking for. I just sent an email to the vendor on Ebay-UK to see if he might have Quantum as well (and to see if he ships to the US).
    The exchange rate comment would be accurate if the US Dollar was not in a fevered race to the bottom with your Sterling.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If anyone is interested, I put up a potential "group buy" for Pertex in the 4sale section.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    What does it weigh a yard?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11795

MicroLite is 1.3/yd, Quantum is 0.9/yd

http://www.pertex.com/#

The link has the fabric info, but you do have to wait for the flash to load.
    Last edited by wisenber; 11-08-2009 at 16:16. Reason: more info

Pertex oh so nice

I have completed an underquilt entirely in pertex and half way thru an overquilt.It has come out far,far better than I had anticipated.I have to put this largely down to the quality of the material its really nice to work with.Definately my choice for quilts and as my countryman Nigel rightly says its available to us here in the UK.90% of materials /items used and discussed on HF are simply not known or stocked here in England heck I even struggle to get goosey down.

I have wondered if using it for a hammock sock would be a wise move?It has all the properties being light,wind proof water repellant yet highly breathable .I would say go for it and if it does not work for you in the capacity you want it to you can always reclaim the piece and turn it into another item such as a quilt.It looks beautiful when in its finished form.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Pertex is a very nice material, but I don't know how well it would work for a sock. From my experience a sock needs to be made from a HIGHLY breathable material or you could run into condensation problems. I've had issue when using fabrics with only a light DWR coating. My favorite material for a sock is 1.1oz untreated ripstop. I've never used Pertex so such an application So I may be wrong.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Pertex is a very nice material, but I don't know how well it would work for a sock. From my experience a sock needs to be made from a HIGHLY breathable material or you could run into condensation problems. I've had issue when using fabrics with only a light DWR coating. My favorite material for a sock is 1.1oz untreated ripstop. I've never used Pertex so such an application So I may be wrong.
    From what I've read about Pertex MircoLight and Quantum, they achieve their windproof and water resistant properties by using two different width yarns in the weave while using a very tight weave. The two widths of yarn or thread are used to produce a capillary action from the smaller diameter (lower surface area) inside to the larger diameter (higher surface area) outside. The higher volume outside then promotes drying more quickly. That would be the wicking/drying component.

The tight weave is also used to make the fabric windproof while still allowing air to escape. I believe the size of the weave is also contribute to the water repellent abilities.

The main uses for the fabric are for windshirts (some less than three ounces) and sleeping bags. The main benefits versus fabrics with similar properties is weight and packability.

For me, I'd like for my sock to be water repellent (to keep off fog, mist and splash), wind resistant ( to raise the temperature rating of my system), breathable ( to permit respiration/condensation to escape), and wicking ( to allow moisture from perspiration/respiration/condensation to move to the outside of the fabric).

My DriDucks ponchos meet all of those requirements, but they fall short in a couple of areas. The DriDucks fabric is not very durable, and the DriDucks fabric does not compress very well.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I have a couple of pertex/down sleeping bags, they are very air tight, in fact they can be a serious pain in the rear to get back into their stuff sacks, but it does make them very warm.

I have just bought some pertex that I plan on using to make a winter u/quilt with the down from the recent group buy, along with a cover plus a sock for my Blackbird, I'm looking forward to trying them out this winter.

I believe that the machines/patent has been sold to the Chinese, like a lot of other things, but there are equivalents out there.

Cheers

Stephen

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast