Hammock
    Integrity, DIY
    Tarp
    Poncho/DIY-winter
    Insulation
    Pad/Over Bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Tree Strap
    I'm not quite following why you needed to sew on the grosgrain ribbon. One of the beauties of this design is that the channels are already there! Did you chop it down for a more exact fit or did you double it up? I must have missed that.
    Versitility in my gear is a highly desired asset. I can still use mine as a poncho liner, with a velcroed head slit . It can be an emergeny sleeping bag with the ends gathered tight, and if I ever need to go to ground in extreme cold this is a great liner along with a poncho and space blanket for a poncho tent (alpha tent). This application also has a very small IR signature.
    In the summer I use my poncho as an A sym diamond tarp. It has kept me dry in some pretty nasty downpours. Granted it's pretty minimalist with only a 9' ridgeline, but it works. I don't add a real tarp to my gear until it starts to get cold.
    Overall, this is another great use for the esteemed poncho liner or woobie.
    Last edited by Roadmarker; 08-04-2014 at 14:13.

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Roadmaker, not sure if you were referring to my PLUQ but I sewed grosgrain down the full length sides so it would have some reinforcement when I place a second PL and or blue pad inside. Maybe not needed but didn't hurt.

Hammock
    Integrity, DIY
    Tarp
    Poncho/DIY-winter
    Insulation
    Pad/Over Bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Tree Strap
    Sorry theKid,
    I was referring to your settup. Thanks for clearing that up. I found where you were "stuffing" the sandwich so that you might need the extra strength. What did you find out about using 4 layers? It looks like it would be good to freezing with a decent bag.

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    With two PLs and half of a blue sleep pad I was down to 31 degrees. I did have a very warm top quilt though

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How did I miss this.Awesome idea.
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sun Screen
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Wraps
    Quote Originally Posted by SCWalker View Post
    How did I miss this.Awesome idea.
    I'm just starting out with hanging and I needed an cheep UQ. This is what I found and I'm going to try mine out his weekend. The model of Poncho Liner (PL) I got did not have the same tie outs as I had seen in the videos I watched . I'll post picks to my modifications later. Have not used yet. Will run it out there this weekend in damp (not wet) high 30's overnight weather. This will be my first hang so I'm bringing a pad, my synthetic 30 deg sleeping bag and a wool blanket for additional options!!!

UPDATE: Setup my rig last night and tested out the PLUQ in 30 degrees. I was cold just setting it up but as soon as I hopped in I was amazed at the difference in temperature between by front and back. I did get a chill after about 20 min with some cold spots on my back but I'll augment that by adding something between the fold of the PLUQ to bolster the insulation next.
    Last edited by tvag06; 04-22-2015 at 08:28.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” - Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sun Screen
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Wraps
    It was a **** cold night. We went backpacking up to Riga Lean-to on the AT and spent the night with snow flurries on an eastern facing cliff. It got below 30 degrees. I had the PLUQ with fleece blanket between folds, my under performing 30 degree bag and a Jumbo Sunscreen. I slept adequately but was woken up from time to time with a some cold spots. My buddies who were all in tents with pads and similar bags were cold as well. No one had a great night sleep but mine was on par with theirs. Considering the expense of my rig I can't complain. It was just nuts that it snowed all night after having 70 degree weather all week! At least the sunrise was epic (both for the coming warmth and the view). Looking forward to milder weather with the PLUQ.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” - Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Tadpole 132 inch
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    1. Is the "revised" version on this thread still the best No Sew approach for a newb?
    The best approach for a newb is anything which gets the newb hammocking! Takes one to know one, hopefully making a PLUQ this weekend. Thinking of tucking some reflectix between the layers.
    "Keep your stick on the ice!"
    -Lumberjackrob

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122