Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Couple of Fabric Questions

With a double layer hammock, should the heavier fabric be inside or outside, or, does it matter?

I have a Dream Hammock Thunderbird double layer, and went heavier outside (2.3 Marpat) with lighter (1.9 Ripstop) inside fabric without even thinking about it..... LOL

Now, I have saved up the $$$ for a true, "Dream Hammock", and will be ordering a Sparrow, double layer I think, and was wondering which way it should be, heavier outside or inside?

I am Thinking 2.2 Hex 70 and 1.6 Hyper D XL, as I weigh 290 and this will give me 400 plus I think. Or, would I be good to go with just a single layer 2.2 (350 lbs rated)?

I use an underquilt, so don't need to insert a pad...... But, I don't want to tear the hammock either.....

What says you fellow Dream Hammock family and Smurfs...
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Whenever possible, I like to see the heavier layer on the outside for durability and support.

Most of the heavier fabrics are woven with coarser fibers and will stand up to more abrasion and snags much better than a lighter weight or thinner fabric. This can be a big deal if your hammock rubs against the ground, briars, branches, etc. I would much rather have that abrasion occur on the tougher layer.

When using a sleeping pad of any substantial thickness the inside layer tends to become a little baggy. Your weight is supported only by the outside layer until it stretches enough to be "helped" by the inside layer. Now imagine a 290lb person like yourself with a 1.1oz ripstop outer layer and a big honking 2.5" thick sleeping pad. The outside layer will be under a great deal of stress and probably won't last long under those conditions.

I do think the Hex70 fabric is very tough and snag resistant. On our first shipment of the Hex70 fabric, I took a titanium tent stakes and tried to snag it by raking the point across the fabric very roughly. I did end up damaging the fabric, but it was only after using quite a bit of force and really working at it.

I hope that makes sense.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Whenever possible, I like to see the heavier layer on the outside for durability and support.

Most of the heavier fabrics are woven with coarser fibers and will stand up to more abrasion and snags much better than a lighter weight or thinner fabric. This can be a big deal if your hammock rubs against the ground, briars, branches, etc. I would much rather have that abrasion occur on the tougher layer.

When using a sleeping pad of any substantial thickness the inside layer tends to become a little baggy. Your weight is supported only by the outside layer until it stretches enough to be "helped" by the inside layer. Now imagine a 290lb person like yourself with a 1.1oz ripstop outer layer and a big honking 2.5" thick sleeping pad. The outside layer will be under a great deal of stress and probably won't last long under those conditions.

I do think the Hex70 fabric is very tough and snag resistant. On our first shipment of the Hex70 fabric, I took a titanium tent stakes and tried to snag it by raking the point across the fabric very roughly. I did end up damaging the fabric, but it was only after using quite a bit of force and really working at it.

I hope that makes sense.
    Very much so.... Thank you Papa Smurf!

Expect another Sparrow order by the end of this week.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    So, heavier on the outside, but would he or she be fine with just the hex 70 single layer?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Barren23 View Post
    So, heavier on the outside, but would he or she be fine with just the hex 70 single layer?
    Yea, a single layer of the Hex70 would be just fine for a 290lb person.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle on strap
    I have an order in the queue for a single layer Hex 70, so I'll certainly share my thoughts when I get it

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    If I had a choice I would go with a single layer of hexon in either weight or a double of 1.0 or even double hyperD.... Honestly the hex70 fabric feels like cordura or something. It is very durable, but feels extremely rough and not like a specialty hammock material.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    The Hex70 fabric does not have that silky soft feel of the HyperD fabric, but is not really rough or scratchy feeling in any way. I've spent a few nights in the Hex70 and it has a durable & solid feel to it that I like.

Also, both the HyperD XL and Hex70 XL fabrics come in a wider width that will give you the opportunity to add a few inches of width to your hammock.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    The Hex70 fabric does not have that silky soft feel of the HyperD fabric, but is not really rough or scratchy feeling in any way. I've spent a few nights in the Hex70 and it has a durable & solid feel to it that I like.

Also, both the HyperD XL and Hex70 XL fabrics come in a wider width that will give you the opportunity to add a few inches of width to your hammock.
    For a fabric with similar rating (hexon 2.4)... It definitely is not the same softness. It does however feel more substantial, as kyle mentioned he worked on making this a powerhouse fabric first, and an extremely soft fabric second. As mentioned by papasmurf.. HyperD XL DL is definitely my choice for a wider hammock.. Unless the hex70 has a color that you really want, in which case you won't feel it as the second layer anyway. I think the hex70 Vader blue looks superrr awesome with its teal looking beauty.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle on strap
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla28 View Post
    If I had a choice I would go with a single layer of hexon in either weight or a double of 1.0 or even double hyperD.... Honestly the hex70 fabric feels like cordura or something. It is very durable, but feels extremely rough and not like a specialty hammock material.
    PapaSmurf was kind enough to send me several fabric samples before I selected the Hex70. I know what I'm getting into.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast