WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle

Florida Underquilt temp rating?

I have a question for my fellow Florida hangers. I'm looking to get an underquilt soon and want to find out about what temp quilts people are using. What you like/don't like about them. Looking for mainly fall, spring, and winter. Summer is just to hot, lol. In my part off the state temps don't go much lower than 40 average with dips into the thirties, but I'd like to be able to get out even if it does. Trying to decide between a 20° and a 40°. If it gets to hot even after venting on any summer trips I take I'll just use a PLUQ. Any insight welcome. I think I have it narrowed down to Hammock Gear. But if you have any opinion on 3/4 vs. full length for this area I'd love to hear it. I tend to sleep pretty warm.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Not from Florida, but here's my opinion:

MOST of your trips will probably be 40*F or above. So I'd plan for that - 40*F quilt.

For trips where you're close to, or beyond, the limit of the quilt, plan to bring something extra (like a pad, or layer it with the pluq you mentioned). Eventually save up and have two quilts, a 40*F, and a 20*F.

This is the less finicky option. You could get a 20*F and vent it when warmer, but IMO this is really finicky, and I think you'd have a better experience doing the opposite.

I'm an advocate for 3/4 at least down to the 20*F range, so that would be my suggestion.
    Last edited by Boston; 11-09-2015 at 13:34.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Thanks Boston. That's what I think I'm leaning towards. And I figure I'm in Florida, if anybody can get away with a 40° is me. But then I wonder a 40° full length might not be much worse than a 20° 3/4 length. But thanks, just looking for others opinion.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I thought the same thing when I bought my HG Phoenix 40* three years ago. It's fine most of the time and has gone a little lower than 40*. However, at almost every Florida Hang, we have been in the 20's. Yes, 20's here in Florida. A 40 is not enough. One of my next purchases is a 20* UQ. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a 20* in the first place. Reason being, you can always "vent" the quilt, if you get a little warm. Just something to think about.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Just back from the weekend in Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. During the discussions we determined in 4 years + we have only seen freezing temps on 2 hikes. The exception is the Florida Hangs where we have been into the mid 20°s on most years. For it I pack everything I have and layer them. I have the Wilderness Logic Summer series TQ & UQ and haven't had any problems on most of our trips. IIRC they are rated at 45°. The UQ is a 3/4 and if necessary I'll just place something in the foot end to add some insulation to the area outside the UQ.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    You can look up the temperature history at the Weather Underground website: wunderground.com
    They have an app too, but its more designed for current weather at the cell phones location. Best weather map ever too, btw.

I used it to determine that the coldest recorded temperature for my area was -34°F, and in the mountains nearby it reached -38°F

Hammock
    Blackbird warbonnet
    Tarp
    LiteAF
    Insulation
    anything with down
    Suspension
    all the above
    20deg for sure... I lived down in the Tampa area for 25 years the cold down there goes right through you even at 40 degrees it's damp.. plus,,, your a thin skinned cracker,, just kidding; )
    I got the full 20deg and love it!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Hard to go wrong with a 20*. You will never worry about being cold or having to fiddle and in warmer temps you will just go lighter on top.
    A compromise would be a 30* UQ but since your are in the North end I'd say go with the 20*
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Thanks for all the feedback. You all are making the 20° sound awful good. Less worry overall and if my wife comes out with me I'll be able to keep her warm. Which let me tell you is much more impotent than my comfort.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Couple of things to consider. Like OD says, the Florida Hang in Ocala is usually in the 20's. Most of the time above 30 in Central FL.

Your style of hiking and camping is more important than the temps. If you hike mostly in long distance or have very limited pack space and usually hike in warmer temps, then go with the higher temp rating with 3/4 length. If pack space is available and you like Winter, go with the lowest possible rating expected. The pack space will determine the length. Weight is of concern if you're truly shaving ounces and grams.

The UQ temp rating is way more forgiving than TQ. You can use a 20* UQ in Summer, but you can't use a Summer TQ in Winter.

Good luck on your choice and see ya at HangCon 1.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast