Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Help! I have no clue about what I'm doing!

I am totally new to the idea of camping. Recently I was invited to hike a part of the PCT with my dad. I was doing my research on what gear to bring, and a lot of people mentioned how they prefered hammock camping over tent camping. After weighing the pros and cons of each I decided that hammock camping was definitely the way to go. I've tried to do my research on which gear combination (suspension, top quilt, bug net, hammock, bottom quilt, and tarp) I'd like, but in reality I have no idea what to look for. I'll include a link to the kit I was looking at.

http://tinyurl.com/pfcwbqx

Any help is appreciated!
    -LittleWing

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    If your looking for one stop shopping you can't go wrong wi th paul. They're a few vendors that can do that at that price. And for a complete 3 season set up its a great way to start. As you venture further into hammock camping the options and abilities become almost endless...and we have found a reason for every one of them...lol. I would shoot Paul at arrowhead a quick email explain where your going , and make sure you tell hI'm your size and if it's where the big trees are let him know that too.
    Also research research.and shug videos
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB XLC,HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/Strap
    That sounds like a pretty sweet package, although you will still require an adequate tarp. There are lots of tarps out there to pick from.. A good starter is a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12. Not expensive if you check out Amazon for deals. Good coverage. Lots of pull outs and guy outs, can be configured to provide full coverage including doors. But..... I would suggest you "Hang" here, pardon the pun, for some time and see what this wonderful resource forum has to offer you. Welcome to the forum and to the joys of hammock camping. Be prepared for the ultimate in comfort.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    What section of the PCT are you looking to do ? The southern part in California goes thru a lot of desert where there are very few trees so hanging a hammock could be a challenge.

This guy hiked about half the trail earlier this year and has some great videos of his hike

Last edited by gunner76; 11-08-2015 at 17:56.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Beside what the others mentioned, be sure to practice an overnighter in your yard or a state park so you can work out the kinks and fix the minor adjustments. They will surface ... just don't want them to screw up you trip.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Thank you to everyone! I wasn't expecting so many quick responses! We (dad and I) will be doing several practice runs before we go on our venture through the Oregon section of the PCT. If everything works out the way I want it tothen I might just find myself addicted. I'm so excited! I'll still stick around and see what I can learn from you seasoned veterans.

Thanks everyone!
    -LittleWing

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Arrowhead equipment is nice stuff from what I hear. I recently got into hammock camping as well, and started off as cheap as possible to start. I'm not yet an avid backpacker, so the stuff I have works awesome for me, and it's all stuff I can upgrade over time. So far total, between suspension, hammock, tarp, top quilt, underquilt, and pillow, my total investment is about $170.

If I had to do it over, I may change a few things, but the cheap entry price for me was a good motivation to get out there and try it. If I had to spend $400-500 to get started, I may not have pulled the trigger.

If you have some extra $ to spend, Arrowhead makes good euipment that is not entry level, and should last...... unlike some of the stuff I have!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    LW--If you've no experience camping, then think basics and learn from experience, because you will not get what's right for you from a book or us. Hammoking is a little different than on the ground, but its probably not a make it/break it deal. For hiking, think how to stay or get dry--rain clothes, tarp, tent, a change of clothes, warm--some layers of clothes, sleeping bag or quilts, simple food, how to make hot water, a little safety gear, as in a light, first aid kit, navigation, as in a map and compass, and footwear--shoes, boots and how will you patch up your feet. A couple of books- Colin Fletcher's (older school) and Andrew Skurka (newer) would be fun reading, and then trying things out in your backyard. On the ground or hanging, go overnight in your backyard and figure out your issues, with your home an easy bail out. And take some all day local day hikes to figure out which shoes fit your feet, because hiking the PCT will work your feet. Four issues define happy camping--warm, dry, water and some food. When you don't head back into the house for one of them, you're all set.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    As was mentioned, always a good idea (and fun) to do backyard testing. No better place to test the limits of your stuff, and try new things without much risk.

Sailor has some good tips there, too. Skurka is great.

This channel has some decent beginner tips as well...
    How-To Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4466959C79BCAF
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Paul has great gear I have a few of his quilts and a few hammock chairs. I started with Hennessy super shelter and quickly moved into an under quilt from Paul. I found they are a tad bulky and a little heavy (not saying it's bad) all depends on the individual.
    If you are hiking long distances you will probably want to keep things light. If where to start all over today knowing what I do now. I would get either a Warbonnet Blackbird XLX or an 11 foot hammock, and tarp from www.simplylightdesigns.com. The longer the hammock the better the lay.
    Insulation I would go with down, it is light and packs down much better. If money isn't a set back start near the top you will save in the long run.
    We had a good size group this last weekend in northern Michigan and a father son came in and had a great setup. I believe they said it was there first trip.
    Now before you even get to the point where your going to hike you need to invest in comfortable shoes/boots and a pack. If either or both are not comfortable you will suffer a great deal. I have a vast array of packs going. To me right now the most comfortable I own is the osprey aether 70 ltr. I actually wanted a 65 but the timing was off and the price wasn't bad for 5 more liters. The suspension is incredibly comfortable.
    Shoes will probably always be an ongoing battle, every time I think I have it figured out my feet change there minds lol. Turkey on the forum pointed out to me there is a difference between a hiking shoe and a backpacking shoe. I know some hike in shoes and are fine. I just picked up a pair of Soloman 4D 2 GTXhiking boots. So far they seem to be great. I haven't put many miles on them still trying to break them in.
    Clothing not sure of the time of year you are going or temp range. You will want things that will wick moisture away. Cotton will absorb moisture and if you get below freezing or cold it can kill you.
    Just remember all the little things you look at an say oh I'll take this it doesn't weigh that much. Put all that stuff in a separate pile and weigh it. Then decide if it is necessary to bring. I did this one time and save 2 pounds.

Good luck and if you have questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Squirrel bait
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast