Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I too am a noob and was equally overwhelmed and excited about the level of information available. You will find that everyone here has an opinion about the best setup and equipment. I personally just bought the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with the Superfly tarp and I'm now considering my choices for insulation. One thing that someone noted in a previous post was to make sure you try your hammock out in the back yard before you take it on a trip. I can't agree any more with this suggestion. I have mine hanging in the basement now and quickly found that I need a crash course in knot tying as well as other skills. Regardless, have fun investigating your options!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A lot of people suggest buying cheap to find out if you like it before spending cash, but don't go to cheap or you will not have an experience like you would with a better hammock. The length makes the difference so I would make sure you find an 11' hammock... I'm only 5'7" and I've noticed a huge difference between a friends 10 footer and my 11'... Also, that time of the year in Oregon, expect to either still have a good amount of snow (fingers crossed!) or alot of mosquitos. I would find a hammock with an integrated bug net or work on another style like you will find examples of in "The ultimate hang". I would also expect colder temps than your thinking... Many areas to camp near the PCT here in Oregon are either on a ridge or in a valley by the water so temps can really vary due to wind or cold air settling in around you. I would definitely go with a 20* quilt set and have a sweater and a hot water bottle handy. Obviously a good tarp is a must as well and expect to do some hiking in the rain. I find a poncho works better than a rain coat to avoid sweat with all the climbs and I've used rain pants before hearing about these rain skirts alot of people use, so that might be something to consider. Have fun, its a beautiful area!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin uq
    Suspension
    Strap,rings,'biner
    Im new to HF, but a 3 yr experienced hammocker. I wouldnt say im a veteran hanger as I am always trying new ideas for improving my own sleep scenario. I would also add to all other responders to your question by addressing the issue of organization. I use a HH exped asym zip which has a ridgeline organizer built in. While it IS extremely useful for small and light items, I ended up with a dilemma on where to put my hat, gloves, socks, etc for those times when i may need a little extra. I solved this dilemma for myself by adding a "peak bag" to the head end of my hammock. Now, if I get a bit cool (ive never been COLD), all I have to do is reach up and grab the item i need and then curl up and back to sleep. It beats the snot out of having to get up and go to your pack for thwt little something extra in th middle of the night!!! The Oregon PCT has a huge terrain diversity. Southern Oregon will be steep n deep and pretty dry, while the central-to-northern sections are stunning anytime of year. Expect mosquitoes! Expect crystal clear lakes. Expect excellent fishing if thats your thing. One "unexpected" to note: The PCT route has seen many wildfires in the last few years and some places that may be read about in books may be significantly changed or wiped out completely. I say this because I took a trip last summer to the Three Fingered Jack area with my son and dad. The destination lake we went for only had trees on the north side where the fire had not quite touched. We moved to another lake up on a ridge and it was fantastic. Important safety tip: when in burned areas LOOK UP, LOOK DOWN, LOOK ALL AROUND!!! There are many hazards in a burn area and avoiding significant injury should be at the top of the list on a long hike. Ok, enough of my short story long.... Summary: dont overlook organizing your sleeping space, you will be thankful you did!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123