Tarp
    Gear Guide 7x9Camo
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

tarps that pack small?

Just like it says, I'm looking for recommendations on a tarp that packs down small. Though I may get into hiking again, so far I do all of my camping via motorcycle and in an effort to stay as light as possible I try to use pretty small bags. My current tail bag is 15.5L, and the saddle bags I'm hoping to add if/when I get my taxes back are 9L each (Wolfman Enduro tail duffel and saddle bags for anyone who rides), for a total of about 33.5L (~2000cu in). Once I add tools, clothes, and other gear it fills up pretty quickly so space is at a premium.

Any ideas? I've got a Warbonnet Traveler if it matters.

Welcome to the forum.You will find most of the members here use tarps of various guises but most will have that special quality of packing small.

Are you able to sew?The ultimate in portable /lightweight tarp would be to create your own from just one piece of lightweight water proof polyester or sil nylon .Just big enough to cover your hammock minimal coverage max portability.A keep it simple rectangle.Depends how long your out for.

Recently finished my first tarp though I have been delighted with my Tom Claytor diamond camo tarp.It compresses down nicely,lightweight and gives good coverage.
    Inexpensive and nicely made.
    bikes & hammocks = happy days Good luck with your choice.

Oh and putting your tarp in snakeskins would allow you to attach it to the back carrier of your bike out the way and good for drying when its rainy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Basically, any silnylon tarp on the market should squish down to a darn small size. I've done hammock/tarp camping with a set of 22L bike panniers, and putting the tarp in the very bottom, it must have squished down to .75L or less.

Go with CSB's recommendation if you're feeling adventurous - try the DIY route and you'd be surprised with how it can turn out! HammockForums is a great resource, especially if you're getting started with hammocking and it's specialized set of gear. The Traveler is a great hammock, you're sure on the right track!

Brian

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Depending on the coverage you want, you can go really small, but it wont keep you dry when the wind and rain machine starts. My 8 x 11 packs down to the size of a softball, maybe a little bigger.
    gargoyles hammock 074.JPG
    Tarp is the round ball, hammock is the tubie looking blob. I have all my lines stuffed in there, the only thing missing is my stakes.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just as a size reference, here's a homemade, silnylon hex tarp with an 11' ridgeline, 10' wide. It's inside a mesh tube. Currently, I wrap it up with one of the guylines and it compacts even smaller.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think a MacCat Micro will cover a Traveler. That's about as small as your going to find while still being effective. Well, I guess you could find one of the HH flies running around somewhere, but the Micro is going to be a better pitch. If you want to keep it in the family, Brandon makes a really nice tarp that I think he told me is in-between the MacCat Standard and Micro sizes.

But, as others have said, tarps don't take-up much space.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a photo of my Spinntex OES MacCat tarp in it's sack. Deluxe length and Standard width.

Last edited by Quoddy; 11-07-2009 at 10:31.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    An OES MacCat Ultra in SilNylon (12' ridgeline) with a full compliment of guylines and figure 9's will easily fit into an XXS Sea to Summit Silnylon bag. That's a lot of rain protection in a small package.

This particular tarp has kept my Traveler dry during many many storms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

OES,Warbonnet guy and the Jacks they're all makin awesome tarps I saw them pics.
    Seriously ,nice tarps that pack small you will find them all talked about right here at HF central.Pick your colour.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 7x9Camo
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

DIY route probably isn't going to happen, I don't have a sewing machine or much desire to learn how.

• + New Posts