SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggster View Post
    I was wanting to hang this week but my son has my jarbidge river underquilt with him in another state.

I just ordered 2 of these from Amazon for 52.69 with free prime shipping. One for me and one for my other son. It'll be here Friday.

I came across this video on youtube and the maker of the video has an interesting way of hanging his underblanket. I've seen this guy in a lot of snugpak videos and I think he's their unofficial spokesperson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqTMPMC615g

Thanks for the video link! I hadn't seen this particular video yet. He did have a slightly different way of hanging the underblanket!

You'll have to give us a review on your experience with the two you've ordered, once you have a chance to try them out! ...I was so pleased with the underblanket, I went ahead and ordered the top quilt. It arrived today and easily has three times more loft than the SnugPak Jungle blankets. I'm eager to try both halves together!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-11-2015 at 03:38.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Thanks very much for this post! This is half the price of the Eno Ember, and it sounds like it is probably better. Adding this one to my Christmas list. Thanks again!

Sm

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampmouse View Post
    Thanks very much for this post! This is half the price of the Eno Ember, and it sounds like it is probably better. Adding this one to my Christmas list. Thanks again!

Sm

Good luck! I think you'll be really pleased with the SnugPak Under Blanket!
    (Since it's half the price, maybe you'll want to throw in the SnugPak top quilt, too! Mine arrived earlier this evening and we keep our house chilly at night, so I tried it out...just slept under it alone, but it was too hot. It really traps and holds in the heat. It's too hot for in the house--LOL. I can't wait to sleep outside and see how it does! It's much thicker than it looks in their drawings. SnugPak needs some Graphic Design assistance in their marketing department!)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema
    Question:

I see that SnugPak offers both a UQ and PeaPod type option. Has anyone tried these combinations together to see what it goes down to?

Was thinking of ordering both the UQ and the Zipper Pod.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I thought about this as well, however since neither are that small, you'd end up with a pretty significant weight and lose a lot of pack space.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    I've been a full-time hanger (indoors) for the past 15 months. I've used a PLUQ or an ENO Ember 2 underquilt, depending on the temperature. A few days ago, I bought a Snugpak Underblanket, and so far, I prefer it to the Ember 2. (Weight is not an issue, as this is used exclusively indoors.) It's been a warm November - lowest bedroom temp. has been 59F, so I'm not testing its limits, by any means. But I am a cold sleeper.

This is just my initial impression, but at half the price of an Ember 2, I wish that I had known about the Snugpak Underblanket before.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    I thought about this as well, however since neither are that small, you'd end up with a pretty significant weight and lose a lot of pack space.
    Unless you have a large dry bag and can lash it to the outside of the pack. (best with an external frame pack though) Or a pulk.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by mcody View Post
    Question:

I see that SnugPak offers both a UQ and PeaPod type option. Has anyone tried these combinations together to see what it goes down to?

Was thinking of ordering both the UQ and the Zipper Pod.

Any thoughts?

Actually, I was so pleased with the underblanket that I sent off for the SnugPak top quilt next. When it arrived, I was surprised to see it actually has about three times the loft of the SnugPak Jungle Blankets. I'm trying out the combo of the Under Blanket and SnugPak Top Quilt right now outside. The overgrown pup just barked at something a minute ago and awakened me out of a sound, warm sleep! It had dipped down into the thirties and I'm comfortable. No cold spots yet. This is the first time I've ventured out into coolish hanging WITHOUT my zero degree sleeping bag. (Actually, the sleeping bag is rolled up, laying on the tarp outside of my hammock in easy reach and I have a Thermarest Z-Lite pad folded up accordion style waiting in the shelf of my WBBB, just in case the SnugPak Under Blanket / SnugPak Hammock Top Quilt combo proved not robust enough to take me comfortably into the thirties...but, I haven't needed a thing other than the two SnugPack pieces!)

I AM wearing a couple of layers and a fleece jacket and wool socks...and I have a teeny tiny ultra light sit pad if got off Dutch's site that I always automatically slide under my keester when I first lay down, before I've even had time to find out if I need it or not(!)...it's just so tiny (maybe 8" x 8" unfolded?) and thin and air light that it's always in my pack. Other than that, all I have are the two SnugPak pieces and my WBBB's normal winter top cover...and I'm truly comfy! Which really excites me because in the past I've had to drag a huge mummy bag, down throw blanket, and a sleeping bag liner and a pad to be warm in the thirties...and all that takes up a whole lot more space than the two SnugPak pieces! Plus, I'm not encountering random cold spots through the night!

I am so pleased, I just (a few hours ago) ordered another SnugPak Under Blanket and SnugPak Hammock Top Quilt to outfit my daughter's hammock. The two together were $94.52 total (including shipping). Which is do-able for me, whereas I can't afford a down under quilt or down top quilt. The SnugPak is way nicer and less bulky than a pad and big mummy bag. I've no delusions that the SnugPak combo isn't enormous compared to down UQ and down Top Quilt and I'm certain it is no where as deliciously comfortable...but, since I can't afford those, that is a moot point for me. The bottom line is THIS is what I CAN afford and it is luxurious compared to what I've been using!

As to the pea pod SnugPak thing, I have no idea what it is like. I have a WBBB XLC and got the optional winter top cover with it last Fall when I bought it, so I zip it on in place of my bug net when it's colder out. I did look on line at the pea pod thing and wonder about it for my teenage daughter's non-Blackbird hammock, but I couldn't find the dimensions and since the SnugPak hammock is significantly shorter than her current hammock and the design of the pea pod would make it less adaptable to various hammock lengths...and since I hope to get her a WBBB within the next year or so and the pea pod definitely wouldn't work with the WBBB shape (whereas the underblanket and top quilt do), it didn't make sense for me to go that direction. I suspect, though, that if your hammock fits the pea pod, it probably would be pretty warm. I like the option, though, of opening up my hammock--whether I have the bugnet zipped on or the winter top cover zipped on, yet still being warm...which I can do with an underblanket / top quilt combo without losing much warmth. If I was using a pea pod alone, I'd be worried that my trapped warm air pocket would escape if I had the pod unzipped to sleep. I tend to let my hammock hang open much of the night. I like to feel the cold air on my face and be able to look out, while the rest of me is warm. I don't know if I'd be able to do that with a pea pod without my whole body getting chilled in the process? But, it probably WOULD be warmer than the underblanket if you didn't mind keeping it zipped shut. Just guessing.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-13-2015 at 19:17.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    You are absolutely right. Definitely go with a down UQ and down top quilt if you can afford them! If you can't afford them, though, the SnugPack underblanket / SnugPak Hammock Quilt combo will take up less space and weigh less than a Closed Cell Pad and traditional big mummy bag combo. And it'll be more comfortable!

If you can swing buying the down real things, though, you definitely shouldn't skimp and settle for the SnugPak stuff! Seriously, get the really good stuff, instead! I sure would if I could stretch my budget enough to manage it! I fully plan to move past the SnugPak stuff in a few years, but, until then, I'm delighted to have the SnugPak underblanket and hammock quilt. It's a LOT better than what I used all winter last year and it's what I can afford this year.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cap624 View Post
    I've been a full-time hanger (indoors) for the past 15 months. I've used a PLUQ or an ENO Ember 2 underquilt, depending on the temperature. A few days ago, I bought a Snugpak Underblanket, and so far, I prefer it to the Ember 2. (Weight is not an issue, as this is used exclusively indoors.) It's been a warm November - lowest bedroom temp. has been 59F, so I'm not testing its limits, by any means. But I am a cold sleeper.

This is just my initial impression, but at half the price of an Ember 2, I wish that I had known about the Snugpak Underblanket before.
    It's 36 degrees F and I'm hanging outside now, comfy as can be with just the SnugPak underblanket and SnugPak Hammock Quilt. Grant it, it's a still night...not a trace of wind but, I had the underblanket out hanging last week in the middle of a terrible storm with high winds all night, and, if I recall correctly the temp was in the lower 40's that night and I was snug! The SnugPak material really stops the wind from getting through.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-13-2015 at 03:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast