Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

To Whip or not to Whip?

So I've tried searching for just videos on why to Whip bit all I can found is "how to whip". So my question is what are the pros & cons to a whipped hammock?

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Pros: one can adjust the tension on certain parts of the fabric to achieve a different lay.

Cons: there is extra fabric not being used, it's finicky, and less clean looking (to me).

I like a sewn channel because I can get the exact same lay consistently, and between all my hammocks. It's also easy to make and then you're done with it. Less fiddling to get it to work.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    Pros: one can adjust the tension on certain parts of the fabric to achieve a different lay.

Cons: there is extra fabric not being used, it's finicky, and less clean looking (to me).

I like a sewn channel because I can get the exact same lay consistently, and between all my hammocks. It's also easy to make and then you're done with it. Less fiddling to get it to work.
    The problem that I've been having. Is that on both of my hammocks I have fabric that kind of loops over and makes it crooked with the Ridgeline. So I didn't know if whipping would help this problem.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    The problem that I've been having. Is that on both of my hammocks I have fabric that kind of loops over and makes it crooked with the Ridgeline. So I didn't know if whipping would help this problem.
    I think I know what you're saying. It's never actually been an issue for me. Something I've done on one of my hammocks is splice a continuous loop through the channel, instead of larks heading a continuous loop in. I think that's another solution for you.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbcrocks View Post
    I think I know what you're saying. It's never actually been an issue for me. Something I've done on one of my hammocks is splice a continuous loop through the channel, instead of larks heading a continuous loop in. I think that's another solution for you.
    If you have a pic handy. I would like to see what your saying.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    5.0 climashield
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I like the whipped method because I feel more secure, but that's probably just a misconception. I don't ever envision the fabric ripping entirely at once, nor the knot slipping off the end. I'm sure the channel seams would hold up under normal circumstances, but I'd rather not have to trust my sewing if I could help it.

You can also adjust the tension along the edge of the hammock if you want it floppy, taught, or somewhere in between. If you have an OCD about getting things even/perfect, then whipping might give you some pause as it can be hard to get it "just right." I like to sometimes make one edge more taught than the other so I can sit more upright in it.

I also hang from a pretty short stand on my patio and with the whipped end method I can shorten the size of the hammock easier than if I was hanging from the end channels.

I think it looks nicer to hang from the end channels, and have sewn them with triple seams in case I want to change it up.

I think ksbcrocks' idea to splice a loop inside the channels sounds interesting. It would allow you to slide or adjust the gather if necessary a lot easier than if there was a knot around it. Aesthetically, this is probably the best option, but also one with the least flexibility if you decided to change it up later.

Images
    Pro- you can make a hammock with no sewing. Con- the whipping, if not done tightly enough, can slip off and dump you on the ground (don't ask me how I know this).

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I enjoy making them in a gathered fashion to control the lay of the hammock, but I'm a big fan of knotting the ends rather than whipping them. After gathering the end of the hammock to my satisfaction, I just give it a single overhand knot and I'm done. No sewing (not that I don't love sewing), no whipping, and a strong stopper for my larks-headed suspension to never slip around.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, no one else has said it and I can't resist any longer. It really doesn't matter how you whip it...

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Now whip it
    Into shape
    Shape it up
    Get straight
    Go forward
    Move ahead
    Try to detect it
    It's not too late
    To whip it
    Whip it good

Sadly I prefer to channel it.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast