Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Virginia AT Section Hike

Having very recently retired, I determined that a backpacking trip was fitting initiation the new lifestyle. So I joined hiker-buddy David (aka, "The Weatherman") on an 8-day, 123-mile northbound hike on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia, ending at the James River Footbridge on October 27th. All-in-all, a successful trip, very easily hammocked, and summarized below:

Day 1 - We placed bets on the number of southbound thru-hikers we'd encounter during the 8 days. We saw ~16 the first day, exceeding both our estimates for the entire trip. The trail was rocky and covered by about 4 inches of dead leaves. We were mostly at higher (>3500') elevations and the colors were unspectacular, but they would get much better later in the hike. Met 11-year old thru-hiker Baby Blue, with her Dad and friend, while eating lunch at a shelter. Camped at Sarver's Hollow Shelter, .4 miles off-trail. SCREW-UP #1 I hadn't hung my cuben fiber bear bag in some time and set it up with the PCT method, running it up part of the way empty. Mistake #1 - there's no counterweight to drop the bag. So I tried to fish the bag back down with a stick. Mistake #2 - the stick tangled in the down-line, pulling the bag all the way up to the branch while tangling the cord in the carabiner. I had to cut the line, leaving the bag embarrassingly displayed up at the branch. So much for LNT (sheepish grin).

Day 2 - A couple good views and a visit to the Audie Murphy Monument. Arrived at Pickle Branch Shelter and met southbound section hikers Big Paw and Wandering Weasel. Although WW is from Michigan, we established that his sister lives less than a mile from my house in Houston. He said that if he could get my cuben bear bag out of the tree the next day, he'd return it to me the next time he visits his sister.

Day 3 - Great views include Dragons Tooth. Beginning of some upper GI issues for me that lasted the rest of the trip. Supposed to camp at Pig Farm, but I'm totally gassed at the base of the hill to McAfee Knob. David goes on to intended campsite and I stay near Catawba Mountain Shelter. ALMOST SCREW-UP #2 - While setting up between two trees on long, steep slope, my backpack tips over allowing cylindrical drybag with quilts to begin rolling down hill. I tear downhill after it, not wanting to retrieve it from several hundred feet below. Cook-kit, also cylindrical, simultaneously rolls out of bag and starts down hill and luckily stops against a log. Bonus hill climb while gassed, narrowly averted.

Day 4 - best views of the trip, including McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs, but feeling quite sick to the stomach. Destination is a motel in Daleville, Va. for showers, laundry and resupply. I go 18 miles on one Kind bar and 6 chocolate-covered espresso beans (to stop caffeine headache). Cannot eat (let alone drink) much of anything in Daleville and thoughts of cancelling the second part of the trip (for me) cross my mind.

Day 5 - 3 yogurts and 1/2 waffle for breakfast at the motel revives the spirits, but nausea returns later in the morning. I hiccup for over an hour straight while making miles. Thankfully, it's a relatively short day and we arrive at Wilson Creek Shelter where there are two friendly locals and Dirty Rotten Liar, a flip-flopper who hikes with the creepy mask from the movie "Scream" attached to his backpack (it's only a week from Halloween when he could actually use it).

Day 6 - With destination Cove Mountain Shelter having no water source, we decide that instead of schlepping water up the hill, we'd push on to VA 614 crossing, where there's an RV campground, and camp there. Calls for the complimentary shuttle were unanswered and we hiked in to find the camp store closed for the season. We did get the owners to open up briefly for us, though, so we could get a cold drink and Alka-Seltzer, and we did shower. So the 1.2 miles (bonus miles) each way was worth it.

Day 7 - Long, continuous climb most of the day, over Apple Orchard Mountain with other-worldly golf ball shaped FAA tower, and through the Guillotine rock formation. Weather is rapidly deteriorating, as we're in the remnants of Hurricane Patricia. Camp at Thunder Hill Shelter and meet flip-flopper Old School, who studied micro-paleontology at Rice University in Houston and knew very well Valhalla, the graduate student pub where I've tipped many a Shiner Bock. He's "old school" because of his external frame pack, white gas stove, and a variety of "antique" hiking gear.

Day 8 - Rained most of the night, and there was rain/drizzle all day, so it was a day of cold, wet feet. Mostly downhill to the James River footbridge (or Foot Bridge, named for Bill Foot). Picked up another David at the trailhead (his next exploit will be to traverse the continent E-W by foot). On to Charlottsville and motel stay. My stomach finally developed an appetite that evening, but I'd lost about 15 lbs to that point.

Final headcount of southbounders (both thru and flip-flop) - probably around 30, way more then either of us predicted.

Next up, Big Bend Outer Mountain Loop (sadly, spending nights on the ground), followed by the big Fairfield Texas Group Hang next weekend. So far, to paraphrase the immortal Chico Esquela, retirement been berry, berry good to me.

Pictures:
    The Weatherman retrieves water
    Fall color on the AT
    McAfee Knob
    Tinker Cliffs
    Pasture hiking
    James River Foot Bridge

The Weatherman retrieves water.jpgFall color on the AT.jpgMcAfee Knob.jpgTinker Cliffs.jpgPasture hiking.jpgJames River Foot Bridge.jpg

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    That sounds like a great hike, well minus the GI issues. I'm impressed you stuck it out.
    So was your food in the bear bag stuck in the tree?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    That sounds like a great hike, well minus the GI issues. I'm impressed you stuck it out.
    So was your food in the bear bag stuck in the tree?
    I'm glad I stuck it out, too. I'm eating better, but still down almost 10 lbs and headed back out to the trail (Big Bend NP) tomorrow.

No food was in the bag or it would have provided the counter-weight to let it drop. Ultra-lite cuben fiber has a down-side I would never have expected.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Costco DYI quilts
    Suspension
    Amsteel Blue UCR
    Images
    Looks like a beautiful hike. Too bad about GI issues. I'll have to remember to always add enough weight to bear bags...

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Nice pictures and very nice story of your experience! Is a flip-flop, somebody doing a there and back day hike? Or somebody actually hiking in flip flops? Sorry, my long distance hiker lingo is weak!

My sister-in-law has a place near Charlottsville, I've thought about doing some AT sections over there, sounds like a decent place to go, do you know your total elevation gain for the trip? Loss too?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Great report! Appreciate all the "learning" experiences too. I've had my backpack tip over more than once, thankfully never quite as excitingly as yours. LOL

Thanks for sharing! Brought back memories of those places.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barren23 View Post
    Nice pictures and very nice story of your experience! Is a flip-flop, somebody doing a there and back day hike? Or somebody actually hiking in flip flops? Sorry, my long distance hiker lingo is weak!

My sister-in-law has a place near Charlottsville, I've thought about doing some AT sections over there, sounds like a decent place to go, do you know your total elevation gain for the trip? Loss too?
    Barren - a traditional AT flip-flop starts in Harpers Ferry WV, hiking north to Mt. Katahdin ME, somehow transporting back to Harpers Ferry, then hiking south to Springer Mountain GA - in one hiking season. Most we spoke with were glad they were doing it that way, as they can optimize weather, bugs, crowds, etc.

That said, I did meet a southbound thru-hiker in the Smokies last year who had the trail name "Sandals", and he was going 2000+ miles in sandals.

I don't know the total up/down but it wasn't as tough as sections I've done in GA and NC (let alone NH, which I have yet to do).

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Great report! Appreciate all the "learning" experiences too. I've had my backpack tip over more than once, thankfully never quite as excitingly as yours. LOL

Thanks for sharing! Brought back memories of those places.
    Thanks, Rain Man. I remember reading your posts prior to taking on the Foothills Trail. Do you still aspire to section hike the AT, or have you already completed it?

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Great report
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Brought back some memories from the early 80's,hadn't visited with them in quite some time. Thanks for that.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast