Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    Yeti & Burrow 20
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    BULKY GEAR, BAD
    I been motorcycle camping for over 40 years, tent and hammock both. It’s not the weight it’s the bulk that’ll limit you. Last month I took a trip and made a video for my pal Wayne to see what I brought. Check it out, it’s harmless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWRVePmwkfg
    I’m a gear *****, always looking for smaller stuff that does what my current stuff does now. So I can’t help you with selecting gear but I can show you how much room my stuff takes up on the bike

As always, Will
    ​motohiker
    now with electric start......o~`o

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    While I am not nearly as big a hammock fanatic/expert as many here, I will give a big +1 to checking out the cottage vendors mentioned. You really will get a better, more comfortable product and probably at a lower price.

The most important advice I can offer regardless of what you choose to purchase is this....practice setting up your gear BEFORE you go. And I am not talking about just once but several times at least. Choose different trees (types of trees, sizes, distances apart, etc.) and in different locations, consider how you will setup if it is raining, windy and/or dark. Work on your setup until you are truly comfortable in it and able to sleep in it. Make sure you know how to setup your tarp ridgeline and tie outs....you do not need all manner of fancy gadgets for this but should know how to tie off with the right hitch or whatever. Based on my experience it would be very frustrating to arrive at camp and be unsure how to get everything to come together just right.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    There is no comparing the stuff available at large retailers and what the cottage vendors supply.

Do some homework on the site and ask questions- you will be much happier and sleep better!

Heck- I sleep on a Kluft mattress at home but my nights in a hammock are just as comfortable thanks to the people and vendors on this site.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    TQ & UQ you haven't mention, not sure anybody ever put futon mattress into hammock, it's super bulky and not able to get a good lay ( the hammock wrap your body suspend in the air yet under protection won't give you cold butt, is the main difference from tent camping)

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Im a motorcycle camper as well. Its actually the reason why I started looking into hammock camping....and its just taken off from there. Now Im a full time hanger....but I digress.

As someone mentioned, its not the weight that should concern you on the bike....its the bulk. Space is limited.

Do you have saddlebags on your bike? Or is it naked? What kind of bike? I know this is a hammock forum, but it is relevant to choosing the right gear. If you have to stuff everything into a pack or strap it down, it will make a difference versus whether or not you have storage space on the bike.

I have saddlebags on mine...no trunk though. And I still use a Maxpedition pack just for things I need to grab quickly....water, snacks, change of socks, etc.

Now...back to your gear selection. You could use the gear you mentioned (minus the futon mattress...forget about that idea). BUT....you can get MUCH, MUCH better gear from the cottage vendors for about the same price.

Also, spend the money and go with down quilts vs pads. You wont regret it. They are more convenient, keep you warmer, and most importantly, they pack down to almost nothing which is what you want on your bike.

After testing and testing, I can fit all my hammock gear cinched down into stuff sacks into half of one of my saddlebags. That leaves plenty more room for clothes, and other necessities.

As far as section hiking the AT, others on here can help you with that much more than I can. Haven't done that yet but hoping too someday (thru hike actually).
    For that, you will want to go lighter. Once again, the cottage vendor gear is much better than the "big guys".

Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ
    I found the Atlas straps to be very heavy and bulky. Regular straps and whoopie slings are the way to go. Easy to adjust and probably cheatper than the Atlas straps. And Marty at Wilderness logics can sell you a cheaper and lighter bug net than the ENO. And at least equal in quality if not superior.

thanx for the info, I did go to the ultimatehang, haven't hit the motocampers yet, but I will, its a slow process for me cause I am reading about the gear and of course want what's right. I will go to the next reply and ask what cottage vendors are. So far I have been told that my gear is heavy, substandard, pricey and bulky. So on goes the study

what are cottage vendors and if its what I think it is who would be the most popular or beneficial

thanx for the input, sorry it took so long to get back w/you. Sure is a lot of gear info I must decide on. as I type this I still not sure what a cottage vendor is, I have an idea, if they are what I think they are which ones would be more beneficial to me. So far the pricing for what I had in mine lets say max $250, and ok for sheer bulk I guess I can forget the Fulton Mattress, I thake that every where I plan on sleeping, and I figured it would be a good skeeter deterrent on my backside
    here in Fl

well for Florida, I didn't figure I would need TQ or UQ, the Fulton I am use to taking w/me every where I plan on sleeping and so I figured it would be a good skeeter deterrent here in Florida and as far as winter I maybe wrong but a good sleeping bag. So far I have almost been talked out of my Fulton, but I think I will just have to try it out and then hear it from u guys I told U so., yes its bulky but I think it might be one bulk for Motorcycle camping that I have to endure but I just might have to learn the hard way on that one. so far I have been told that the gear I have picked is pricey, bulky, heavy, so I am doing a lot of research and so far the price on what I have mention is no less on some gear I have looked at. Still not to sure what cottage vendors are and if they are what I think which ones would be best beneficial to me

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast