Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbe Hammock Questions

don't hurt me! I swear, I've done most of my research

Okay...serious. I need a little help in figuring out what I need, best quality, etc. I am starting a section hike next year going from Damascus to NY, Pawling. While I have been sleeping in a hammock for a while, I need to update my hammock set up.

My current set up is great for like...over night, near the card, easy trips. What I would like to get is whoopi's, ridge line, etc etc.

I like dutch, but is there a cheaper system? I am limited on money. So far, I have gotten everything I need for under a 100 each section. Backpack (six moon). Shoes (hooka). Cook Set. (home-made/well used/still light) I know I will have to spend more than a 100 on a hammock system, but hopefully not more than 150 including the Tarp.

So challenge: Hammock, Whoopi slings, Ridge line, and tarp all under 150?

Second question: Who sleeps with regular sleeping bags and a pad within the hammock? I won't be doing any cold hiking anytime soon and my trip is may. My current sleeping bag is super heavy but I have been completely fine sleeping with just a pad. For this trip, I am getting a lighter bag. I just want to know I am not the only one not using a quilt setup.

Is there any ways I can limit pad slippage, or what is the favorit pad people find is best for a hammock? I thought of just using the blue pads, cut, and somehow stretchy corded to the top.

Thanks guys,
    Cara

I think it would be hard to beat Dutch or AHE (seems there's at least one more...) for a basic hammock in terms of quality and price, including suspension, even if you made it yourself. Roughly $80-85 and you have a decent hammock, suspension, and SRL. But doing the whole package for under $150(?) Might want to look into DIY for the tarp. Maybe even for a bugnet.

I've done the sleeping bag and pad thing. Yes, it will work, but it's not ideal. Down the line you almost certainly be happier with an UQ but you don't need it immediately.

It's been stated here often that the hammock is only the beginning in terms of cost. Truly nice insulation is going to cost you much more and be well worth it, but you can get by for now with that lighter bag and pad.

Get a decent tarp like the Edge, Tadpole, or Hanger (or similar.) AT LEAST! You won't regret it.

Shop used here at HF?
    Last edited by TominMN; 11-02-2015 at 13:11.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
    don't hurt me! I swear, I've done most of my research

Okay...serious. I need a little help in figuring out what I need, best quality, etc. I am starting a section hike next year going from Damascus to NY, Pawling. While I have been sleeping in a hammock for a while, I need to update my hammock set up.

My current set up is great for like...over night, near the card, easy trips. What I would like to get is whoopi's, ridge line, etc etc.

I like dutch, but is there a cheaper system? I am limited on money. So far, I have gotten everything I need for under a 100 each section. Backpack (six moon). Shoes (hooka). Cook Set. (home-made/well used/still light) I know I will have to spend more than a 100 on a hammock system, but hopefully not more than 150 including the Tarp.

So challenge: Hammock, Whoopi slings, Ridge line, and tarp all under 150?

Second question: Who sleeps with regular sleeping bags and a pad within the hammock? I won't be doing any cold hiking anytime soon and my trip is may. My current sleeping bag is super heavy but I have been completely fine sleeping with just a pad. For this trip, I am getting a lighter bag. I just want to know I am not the only one not using a quilt setup.

Is there any ways I can limit pad slippage, or what is the favorit pad people find is best for a hammock? I thought of just using the blue pads, cut, and somehow stretchy corded to the top.

Thanks guys,
    Cara
    I can speak on the hammock/sleeping bag/pad issue. I have done that twice. It worked but that's about as far as I'll go. The first time I had my sleeping pad inflated all the way. Twice during the night I woke up because my back was cold. It was then that I discovered that the pad had shifted out of place and was almost ready to fall on the fround as there was only a small potion of it still under my sleeping bag.

I read somewhere on this forum to try deflating the pad a bit. I tried that the second time I used this method and had the same result.

Both times I was able to reposition everything and get back into my bag but both times it was a real pain, especially in the middle of the night when it was cold and I was tired and not in the mood to mess around with it.

I recently tried a piece of Reflectix under me with only a very light sleeping bag to cover me. It worked well to keep me from becoming chilled overnight, however, like I have seen in some of the posts on this forum, I did notice a bit of condensation on the Reflectix. And, I used this setup during a 5-day, mid-August trip, so the overnight lows were probably upper 50's to low 60's...not very cold.
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty 11', 1.6 SL Hexon
    Tarp
    11' UGQ Hanger
    Insulation
    LL habanero 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    The AHE Jarbridge 3/4 underquilt is a good value, and it sounds like it would work for you since you won't be going in real cold temps...I think you can sometimes get them on sale for under $100

He also sells a full kit for a pretty decent price

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is some sleeping bag/pad info.....
    Hammock...go with Dutch. Ridgeline optional.
    Invest in a good tarp. Tough to find a cheap one. It is your shelter from the storm.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, HG, UQP
    Suspension
    WB Stock, Dutch

Newbe Hammock Questions

I am definately a newbie to hammock camping. My son and myself tried the no underquilt and went to the ground. Next trip we were equipped with the AHE Jawbridge 3/4UQ. Great piece of gear. and very affordable and compacts down. to a very decent size. They make a good product.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    You will have to DIY to get even close to your budget:
    4 yards of 1.9 ripstop from ripstopbytheroll.com @ $3.85/yd = $15.40 and he includes a roll of thread.
    Amsteel $5.50 for 25' you can make 2 UCRs and a ridgeline from that.
    Tree straps 25' for $5.25 that will easily make what you need.
    That puts you at $26.15 for everything to make your hammock and suspension.
    Grab one of his tarp kits for $48.50 and you should need is some stakes.

That puts you well under your $150 budget. You could diy an underquilt for the remainder.

Dane

I wouldn't spend more money on a hammock if you have one already. Focus on stuff that you don't have. Used or DIY is the way to go for budget minded. Also, I started with a pad for insulation and I can say it's doable but not enjoyable. It made my back sweaty and I was cold throughout the night. There is a thing call a SPE but I honestly think you should just put up the money for an underquilt.

First is a tarp. I would go with a Kelty Noah 12. Next is bottom insulation. A PLUQ works down to about 50 and is easy to make. There are no sew tutorials that you can look up. A bug net is a must most of the year for me. That's about the majority of your budget. You can buy some amsteel and make your own whoopie slings. Really easy to make.

Talking

Hey guys.

I just wanted to say that I wasn't intending to get a sleeping bag system and Hammock into the $150. I just was going to try and get the hammock, tarp, bug net, and lines into the $150. I know with this amount, I would have to make a few items. I have a sewing machine and am more than capable of creating my own gear (How hard could it be? )

So dutch is my best bet for the hammock? I do have another post I can go back and read regarding which dutch to get. I just was not sure if they were the best vs money factors.

Also: The build your own tarp. How much does the tarp usually weigh in the end? I am no ultra-light, but I do want to limit my weight as much as possible.

My pack is 39oz
    My sleeping Bag Aim is: 2lbs. I was going to get a Marmot Half Mummy.
    Mat: Cut to size/edit. (going to test theory's with old heavy mat to see if I want to put a quilt system to my Christmas list)
    Kitchen: Less than a lb.

If I were to build my own tarp, what fabric would be your favorite, and specific length/width?

My original order for dutch was for a 1.9 (I think) poly tarp at 11 ft with whoopi slings and kevlar straps. I remember reading that tarps were best at one foot longer than the hammock?

I feel like a 13 ft tarp is too large? I am 5'2, 200 lbs.

Anyway: Going to continue my research.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    The weight of the tarp depends on the material and size. Pretty easy to figure out though. Length x width = sqft of tarp. Divide that by 3 and again by 3 gives you square yards of tarp. Multiply that by fabric weight and you will have a rough idea of tarp weight.
    Example 10x12 tarp.
    10 x 12= 120
    120/3 =40
    40/3=15 yards of tarp
    15*1.24 (ripstopbytheroll.com 1.1 silpoly weight) =18.6oz

Of course this is rough math and subject to be slightly off.

If you can't tell my favorite fabric is silpoly. I have 3 tarps made from it. It doesn't stretch much so I don't use tensioners or cat cuts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast