Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarp lines

BTW I picked up the Zing It from Redden this morning. Paul's line looks like zing it to me. May not be though. Zing it is 1.75MM.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've switched my tarp lines completely to the Speer no-tangle lines. Bright orange for visibility, stiff enough to avoid most tangles, and stronger than mason's twine.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Mason Line

I love a tout-line hitch, but it doesn't seem to work well with mason line. Any other suggestions? I want to use it for tarp guy-lines and I want it to be adjustable like my Ed Speere no tangle in a taut-line hitch, but with mason line.

-Ricegravy

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    I love a tout-line hitch, but it doesn't seem to work well with mason line. Any other suggestions? I want to use it for tarp guy-lines and I want it to be adjustable like my Ed Speere no tangle in a taut-line hitch, but with mason line.

-Ricegravy
    The line I have has a feel like a heavy mason line, but yes way stronger. It will hold a knot very well, taunt line hitch, prussic, you name it. It is not as bad as mason line for tangles but not as stiff as the line Ed has. Kind of a compromise in between.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    Well I guess I am trying to see how I can put this mason line to use. It sells at Harbor Freight for $1.00 per 100ft, while your line is $30 per 100ft.
    I know that your line is much stronger and looks like it would tangle much less.

For those who use Braided mason line, How do you use it? What type of knots work with it is what I am curious about.

-Ricegravy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Well I guess I am trying to see how I can put this mason line to use. It sells at Harbor Freight for $1.00 per 100ft, while your line is $30 per 100ft.
    I know that your line is much stronger and looks like it would tangle much less.

For those who use Braided mason line, How do you use it? What type of knots work with it is what I am curious about.

-Ricegravy.
    I use a bowline (as a larks head) to attach to the tarp and another bowline (for a permanent loop) on the other end.
    If I need adjustibility, I would use a marlin spike hitch with your stake as the spike...it won't slide but sure is easy to tie and re-tie if you need to re-tension your tarp. (think whoopie sling here)
    As far as strength, I had a plastic D ring on the ridgeline fail (break) during a storm on my last trip...now, no mason line on the ridgeline but the mason line tie outs didn't break during the same storm!
    30 to 1 cost? I'll keep my mason line.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

-Ricegravy.
    I have tried a number of knots with the braided mason line and don't really love any of them. I did use a taughtline hitch with 2-3 extra loops and found it worked well. In the end I stopped tying any knots with the mason line and actually just do a locking wrap on my stakes. This makes life really easy for me. To keep the mason line from tangling during storage, I wrap them around the grosgrain that holds the d-ring on my OES tarp. I have bought a large amount of glo-cord that I am going to switch over too, it is much stiffer and is stronger.

dg

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

-Ricegravy.
    Understandable, before I put it up I did a lot of comparison shopping for other similar lines and I am beating most all of them on price and color choices (yes only 2 a the moment) but I am working on some other colors and this really fits in a different category than mason line due to its much higher tensile strength. And if need be my line can be used for other things like tying up a 100 pound great dane, or hanging a bear bag or things where you need some strength but would not want to carrie a heavy line. Mason line has is uses of corse and it is cheap, I have been looking at a source for it in stealth like colors (I may have found it in a spruce green) but some companies just do not reply to their emails. Different battles different weapons. Most mason line is nylon or at best a blend so in the rain it can stretch and leave your tarp needing to be re-tensioned, my line is a Dyneema and will not stretch no mater the amount of tension put on it, at least up to the break point.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The best knots for seine (mason) line are the ones it forms itself when stowed...they are like pitbulls on 'roids.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

LineLoc & Line for Tarp

Enclosed are photos of the set up I use on the OES DeLuxe Spinn. Yellow guy lines are AirCore. Overkill for strength, but very light. Ridge tie out line are JRB. Both are relatively tangle free. Found out an advantage of white line locs over black last night. Able to set up under the full moon. The Locs were visible without the need of a lamp. Cold evening. MiniLoc made it quick and easy to set up with light gloves on. Gusty winds reaching +20mph.

1st photo is the line almost at max length, 3rd photo is almost at the shortest length. Didn't follow the directions that came with the locs. The fixed loop at the tied end allows wider range of line length.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast