View Poll Results: Is this setup too crazy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, your 210lb backside is gonna sleep like a baby!

5 50.00%
  • Yes, you'll surely slip or fall at some point during the night!

3 30.00%
  • I dunno, I think you're crazy but can't decide if it'll be secure!

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR

Lightbulb WIP: Modular ultralight hammock-UCR quick disconnects

First of all, I'd like to thank SGT Rock and also some folks from the sailing community for their innovations. (i.e., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-bqE7OQZw and http://l-36.com/soft_shackles.php?menu=4 )

Let me also say, that I by no means endorse this as a safe way to hang, or think that this is for everybody. If you decide to copy my setup here, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for your own safety. (In the wise words of SGT Rock: "You're gonna die!!!") Your life is in your own hands and I am in no way responsible for any injury or death that might result from copying my setup.

Furthermore, a lot of you are going to think I'm nuts, and dislike this setup, which is fine. HYOH; I just thought it would be fun to document this crazy idea and its implementation and its evolution.

This system, both sides including tree huggers (4' kevlar from Dutch with loops on both ends) UCRs and hammock leaders, weighs about 1.75 oz or 52g. That's 26g per side! (But, I'm thinking of getting a pair of 6' huggers and going with one long and one short hugger for more flexibility.)

IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg

The UCRs are made from dynaglide (from Dutch) and are color coded to allow one to distinguish between head and foot ends. Once attached to the tree-huggers, each UCR and hammock leader provides just under 6' (71") of length, *NOT* including the length of the tree-hugger. This includes all line shortening due to buries, larks heads and other knots/connections, but excludes the tree-hugger length.

The outer portion of the tree-hugger is on the end that connects to the hammock. (This is the portion made from the shorter line.) The longer line of the UCR currently has a fixed eye (buried loop with locking brummel) which attaches to the tree hugger with a larks head/square knot through the one of the loops in the kevlar straps.

IMG_0793.jpg

The other end has a short backsplice-bury with a very short taper, and exits the UCR bury pointing towards the hammock.

IMG_0791.jpg

This means that the adjustment point of the UCR will always be close to the hammock, allowing for adjustment from underneath a tarp. Furthermore, the UCR tail exiting the bury can act as a water break. (You might want to tie a half hitch or clove hitch around the main suspension with the extra slack to help convince any trickle to run down the dangling slack.)

In general, I really don't trust taut-line hitches/rolling hitches (ABoK #1734 #1800 or #1856, in the context of a UCR the correct nomenclature IMO is rolling hitch because it is connecting to a different line) and much prefer the Midshipman's hitch/rolling hitch(2) (ABoK #1855/#1735) however I find it more difficult to tie with a very short line. (Or the Blake's hitch, but same problems...) For the time being I have the usual rolling hitch/taut-line hitch at the free end of the outer UCR line, fixed to the bight of the long buried line on the side running towards the tree straps. To compensate for my lack of faith in the rolling hitch (especially on dynaglide) I added some triple or quadruple wrapped Conair Poly bands (clear) that my wife uses for her hair to help constrict the end of the bury near the rolling hitch. This increases the friction and the bite of the unloaded end of the bury to help ensure that I don't end up on the ground in the middle of the night!

IMG_0792.jpg

They're pretty hard to see, since they are clear, tiny and weigh very very little, far less than a gram on their own. Here is what the packaging looks like. My wife bought these at CVS.

IMG_0795.jpg

For the UCR, I more or less followed the taper and bury lengths in SGT Rock's video, linked at the beginning of this post. I may have gone a little bit longer on the buries, and I also use locked brummels, rather than backstitching because it's a pain to get out the needle and thread when I have all my splicing gear handy.

Now for the quick connect magic: I was inspired to split the parts of the high strength soft shackle across different components. When building the UCR following SGT Rock's instructions, I added in a noose to the UCR eye-splice (in the shorter line) by passing the free end (eventually to be buried for the eye loop) through the standing end. To make the locked brummel to join the free and standing ends, I think I had to used a McDonald brummel, which is a technique for making locked brummels when the standing end is inaccessible, since I added this modification after I had already made the UCR. (Yay locked brummels--you can undo them!) Here is a picture of what the eye splice/noose looks like:

IMG_0788.jpg

And here it is if I open the noose to get ready to attach it to the connection point on the hammock:

IMG_0789.jpg

To attach a hammock, the noose is slipped over a two strand button knot which is tied in the middle of a doubled over ~17" piece of line. Once the knot is tied and dressed, and cinched tight, the tails are tapered ~3/4" and buried in the strands forming the loops. This creates a continuous loop, with a button knot tied in it, and exiting the button knot are four strands, all pointing the same way, but the free ends are buried, so it appears as two strands exiting the knot to form the loop. This continuous loop is then thread through the channel of my hammocks, and the button part if passed through the loop that exits at the other side, and pulled tight. Here is a picture of these button knot loops fixed to the ends of my ENO double-nest, before loading it with my weight:

IMG_0786.jpg

After hanging, the loop cinched tighter around the hammock, and there is more length before the button knot, which allows an easier attachment of a SRL.

Finally, the tree straps have soft shackles to act as 'biners so that they can be secured quickly. Unfortunately it is a little bit clumsy to use the soft shackles and they fall off easily when opened, so I'm going to switch to a grapling hitch, but using the buried two strand button knot, rather than a diamond knot for strength. Here is my current setup, where I made these soft shackles before I could tie the button knot, following these instructions instead. (They should be the same strength as the button knot shackles, just the stopper knot is uglier. Both this shackle and the high-strength shackle derive their strength because there are more strands carrying loads and the bending radiuses have been increased, an improvement over diamond knot shackles. I also really like the way that the free ends are buried and the elegance of the button knot.)

IMG_0794.jpg

Instead of these soft-shackles, I'm going to try out grappling-hitches with double strand button knots instead of diamond knots. This should help increase their strength.

Finally, on the portion of the UCR that attaches to the tree straps, i want to change out the eye-splice for a quick connect system, similar to hammock connection point. If I add a slipping noose on the tree straps, and a button knot on the standing end of the long UCR line, then for short hangs I can skip the UCR and attach the hammock directly to the tree straps. Also, if the tree straps get a lot of sap on them, I can prevent the sap getting on the UCRs by storing them separately.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

P.S. I plan to update this post with modifications I have made, and update this thread with successful hangs and any failures.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestion of the button knot. I've been using a lanyard (diamond) knot as described by Grizz in his video,"Gone Loopy".

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion of the button knot. I've been using a lanyard (diamond) knot as described by Grizz in his video,"Gone Loopy".
    Do you use it for soft shackles or are you using at all to connect two separate components like I am?

The extra girth of the button knot, and the buried ends make it pretty and stronger than a lanyard/diamond knot for many applications. (The strength/efficiency depends on the diameter of the line, and the radius of curvature of any bends...) The guys at l-36.com report 230% strength for the stronger shackles made with 1/8 or 7/64 amsteel IIRC. The "better soft shackle" is somewhat less than that, around 160% maybe. The added strength comes from increasing the radius of the closed noose using the button knot instead of the diamond knot. (Also, the weak link ends up changing... they did some load cell tests at New England Ropes.)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    aero-hiker, very impressive. Please make a video of you setting up and using your innovations. Bravo aero-hiker.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    aero-hiker, very impressive. Please make a video of you setting up and using your innovations. Bravo aero-hiker.
    Thanks Phantom Grappler! I'll try to make a video, but the production quality is going to be terrible, and it will probably be me hanging in my tiny apartment (between the kitchen pass through and the bedroom door hinge).

P.S. I'm working on installing my version of your "grappling hitch" with the button knot. Did you come up with that "grappling hitch", Phantom Grappler? The only thing that popped up when searching for it was a bowline-like knot called a "grappler hitch".

Images
    Impressive use of a wide array of knots and hitches.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    WV, I just took a look at the "gone loopy" video from Grizz, and it does appear that our ideas about modular/interchangeable components are quite similar! I suppose I owe Grizz a shout out, as well!

I hope to have the quick connectors added to the tree straps later tonight, as well as the grappling-hitch (instead of the soft shackle) added to the tree straps. The grappling-hitch is pretty cool, it's almost as fast/easy as a Dutch clip, but a few grams lighter!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Costco DYI quilts
    Suspension
    Amsteel Blue UCR
    Images
    I really like the idea of the soft shackle concept joining two different lines. Creative and seems like it might be a little easier to attach - less tension.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    aero-hiker, I originated Grapplers Hitch, I used Grizz's videos as inspiration.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    I love it! Just made one with a button knot (swapped a soft shackle out) on one of my tree straps. No longer need to worry about loosing those darn small nacra-biners! Uses a little bit less line, too, I think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast