New hammock cordage

Hey all-

I'll go ahead and apologize for the repeated question. But, going through months and years of posts to look for answers can be daunting and tiresome.

I'm looking to replace the cordage in my hammock. I have no idea what to use. I was going to use paracord then read that I shouldn't. Then was going to use 5mm-7mm climbing rope. After reading more on it, I don't know if that is suitable to use either. I just don't know what is suitable to use.

So from seasoned hangers to a newbie, let me know what I need to use to replace the cordage in my hammock that with be sturdy and reliable. Thanks

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You are correct parracord is not suitable for hammock suspension, nylon climbing ropes are not really all that good of choice either.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/w...e-dope-on-rope

That should give you a little insight into the common ropes and uses that we use for hammock suspension.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...uspension.html

This will give you some choices for pre-made and or parts to build a suspension that will work for you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Pgibson gives good advice. Those are some good resources to check out. To your original question, a little more background information might be helpful. What hammock do you have that you want to replace the cordage on? Does it include tree straps? What is your planned use for the hammock? Backpacking? Car camping? Lounging in the yard? Whatever your use, you don't want a stretchy line as that will change the way your hammock hangs as it stretches. If backpacking is your thing you want something lightweight. Otherwise you might be fine with what is on your hammock if car camping where weight and bulk aren't an issue. Of course most of us like to play around with different hammock suspensions but it's not strictly necessary in all situations/cases.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    if it's holding your weight Amstel is pretty standard for you cordage. Ridge lines you can go thinner with lash-it or something similar.

Dutch carries it all. Did gear supply normally has amsteel and cordage similar to lash it for ridge lines.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    Pgibson gives good advice. Those are some good resources to check out. To your original question, a little more background information might be helpful. What hammock do you have that you want to replace the cordage on? Does it include tree straps? What is your planned use for the hammock? Backpacking? Car camping? Lounging in the yard? Whatever your use, you don't want a stretchy line as that will change the way your hammock hangs as it stretches. If backpacking is your thing you want something lightweight. Otherwise you might be fine with what is on your hammock if car camping where weight and bulk aren't an issue. Of course most of us like to play around with different hammock suspensions but it's not strictly necessary in all situations/cases.

An OuterEQ hammock. Car camping and maybe backpack camp in the future. Lounging in the yard and hiking in park and woods and setting up for a relaxing afternoon. I am interested in changing the cordage just for something to play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    You are correct parracord is not suitable for hammock suspension, nylon climbing ropes are not really all that good of choice either.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/w...e-dope-on-rope

That should give you a little insight into the common ropes and uses that we use for hammock suspension.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...uspension.html

This will give you some choices for pre-made and or parts to build a suspension that will work for you.

Awesome. Thanks for the links. It was full of good info.

• + New Posts