Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have enjoyed seeing everyone's work with these quilts. I just completed my Costco UQ and TQ projects. This was my first ever attempt at sewing- so needless to say, it's pretty awesome! I decided to seam rip all of the horizontal baffles- leaving only the vertical baffles. This seemed to double the loft. My quilts now have around 2 inches of total loft! I'm thinking it should be plenty warm as a three-season setup. I also have my pad I can place between the UQ and hammock if I need to boost the temp rating a bit.

Overall, these were very easy (and fun) projects! I totally get the whole "DIY addict" thing now.

Hammock
    Dutch + DIY Mosquito net
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by CooOkieCOOon View Post
    Double layer UQ with added epsilon and matching single layer wearable TQ with snap foot box. Made for a buddy of mine- Great little quilts. Differentially cut the inside quilt a tad to let the two loft a bit. Don't know if it'll actually work, but seemed like a good idea. Fit back in the original stuff sack, barely.
    Hi CooOkieCOON, I love yout quilt set, they are awesome! but I'm not sure that I understand what you've done...

So for the UQ, you sew together a Costco quilt 40X70, another Costco quilt (a little larger I suppose, for the differential cut) 45X70 and a camo pattern epsilon? Is that it? Could you share your dimension with us please?

Thanks

Phil

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Meaxe View Post
    Hi CooOkieCOON, I love yout quilt set, they are awesome! but I'm not sure that I understand what you've done...

So for the UQ, you sew together a Costco quilt 40X70, another Costco quilt (a little larger I suppose, for the differential cut) 45X70 and a camo pattern epsilon? Is that it? Could you share your dimension with us please?

Thanks

Phil

I honestly can't remember the actual dimensions of the quilt, but you are correct- the bottom quilt was slightly larger. I do remember putting two darts at the ends of the inside quilt as well.
    Wish I could be more help!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    the shell of these Costco Down Throws (CDTs) is resistant to wind (I can't blow through it) but wets out very easily, so I see the benefit of adding a DWR shell.

has anyone considered doing something like this but with a layer of synthetic insulation between the CDT and the exterior shell material?..

this would have two benefits - 1) making it more resistant to moisture issues and 2) masking the negative effect inherent in sewn-through insulation...

Hammock
    FOX Outfitters Single Layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    AHE Top, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    the shell of these Costco Down Throws (CDTs) is resistant to wind (I can't blow through it) but wets out very easily, so I see the benefit of adding a DWR shell.

has anyone considered doing something like this but with a layer of synthetic insulation between the CDT and the exterior shell material?..

this would have two benefits - 1) making it more resistant to moisture issues and 2) masking the negative effect inherent in sewn-through insulation...
    I have two of these. I am thinking of putting a layer of ripstop on the back|bottom and adding no see em baffles and adding some down. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by WyoBowhunter21 View Post
    I have two of these. I am thinking of putting a layer of ripstop on the back|bottom and adding no see em baffles and adding some down. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't see any issue with that. I think I would seam rip the vertical seams first creating lateral baffles and then sew the no see um baffles along the existing lateral seams.

Hammock
    FOX Outfitters Single Layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    AHE Top, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by CooOkieCOOon View Post
    I don't see any issue with that. I think I would seam rip the vertical seams first creating lateral baffles and then sew the no see um baffles along the existing lateral seams.
    Exactly my plan! I started tonight. I first cut a row off the quilts so I could make draft collars if I decide too. I figured the ripstop would be just like a uq protector but built in. I think the quilt will still breathe so that shouldn't be an issue. I will fill the no see um baffles with some down extracted from a high quality winter down coat from a cottage dealer in Colorado. I am truly hoping to be able to get down to 20 with the quilt. My backpacking in September/October usually leaves me in the teens to twenties.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123