DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks

Dream Hammock Thunderbird vs Sparrow

Just saw the Sparrow show up on the Dream Hammock website and am trying to figure out the difference between the sparrow and the thunderbird.

Looks like the difference may be the zippers but not sure.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    It's the way the zippers are, look up the sparrow video in the Dream hammocks sub forum section

OR check it out here

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...roduct-Sparrow

Images
    You are partially correct. The difference between the Thunderbird and the Sparrow are based on the zipper configuration, as well as the asymmetry of the hammock.
    Let me explain...
    The Thunderbird zippers for the bugnet and overcover are separating zippers with one zipper pull (slide) on each zipper track.
    This means that whether you zip the bugnet or overcover onto the hammock the zippers pulls (slides) will be at the far head/foot end of the hammock (depending on the specified lay of the Thunderbird).
    Also, when purchasing the Thunderbird, the buyer specifies right or left lay. This is a matter of preference, but once the bug net and over cover have been cut to shape, it is not advisable to lay contrary to what you specified. For more details see the Dream Hammock website.

As for the Sparrow...
    It too has separating zippers for the bug net or over cover.
    The difference is that there are two (2) zipper pulls (slides) on each zipper. This allows the zippers to be completely closed without having the zipper pulls all the way at the head or foot end of the hammock.
    With two zipper pulls one can place the zipper pulls in the middle of the zipper where they are easier to reach.
    Also on the Sparrow, there is no specific "lay direction". This means that there is not a designated "head" and "foot" end. Just hop in and find the "sweet spot".
    Note: The Sparrow comes with tie outs at roughly the locations where a head/foot box can be, but the bug net and over cover are not cut to a specified asymmetric shape, making it possible to lay either direction.

Clear as mud???

Papa Smurf, please chime in if I have made any errors.

Thanks
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

I believe that the TB, with its dedicated head/foot ends, has the zippers closing at the head end. It is made left or right.

The Sparrow is also built asym. BUT, it has no dedicated head/foot end. The sliders meet in the middle of each side. I assume this is accomplished by having two separating zippers on each side with the "tops" meeting in the middle and the "bottoms" at the hammock ends, but I'm not sure. Can't figure out any other way to do that...

I'm REALLY liking the looks of the Sparrow!
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-29-2015 at 10:08.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy

Dream Hammock Thunderbird vs Sparrow

Does the sparrow come with tie outs automatically or is it an option. It is a add on on the site but is seems that it would be important to have considering the design of the hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
    Does the sparrow come with tie outs automatically or is it an option.
    Tie-out & UQ hooks are completely optional on both the ThunderBird and Sparrow now. They can be easily added right from the order page, but you no longer have to pay for them if you don't want them.

On my personal hammocks, I always use the UQ hooks and the tie-out hook at my outside shoulder with my UGQ underquilts. I usually don't tie my hamocks out with guylines, but that feature is available for those who do prefer it.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Tie-out & UQ hooks are completely optional on both the ThunderBird and Sparrow now. They can be easily added right from the order page, but you no longer have to pay for them if you don't want them.

On my personal hammocks, I always use the UQ hooks and the tie-out hook at my outside shoulder with my UGQ underquilts. I usually don't tie my hamocks out with guylines, but that feature is available for those who do prefer it.
    Not having to purchase the extra tie outs and uq hooks with a Thunderbird makes it alittle moe affordable for those who dont usaully use them and have wanted a Thunderbird but didn't want to spend the extra money.
    On the other hand i am glad that they were standard at the time i purchased mine because they are very useful and i would have added them on anyway.

[QUOTE=cameronjreed;1536590

Also on the Sparrow, there is no specific "lay direction". This means that there is not a designated "head" and "foot" end. Just hop in and find the "sweet spot".

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I think this is misleading.

Yes there is no designated head or foot end. But there is a specific lay direction as far ad left or right.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I think this is misleading.

Yes there is no designated head or foot end. But there is a specific lay direction as far ad left or right.
    Yes, it is asym and you have to specify left or right when you order it but there is no head or foot per se.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I personally feel the tie-outs and uq-hooks are absolutely worth their weight in gold, since I can use those exclusively for ensuring my UQ stays nice and snug. Now I know why I had so many cold spots with my old HH, and eventually had to switch over to tying off from one side of the UQ to the other and over the ridgeline after I got in it in order to keep the UQ somewhat in position (I'm sure there were better ways, it's just how I solved my problem).

I've got a Sparrow on order and while I still love my Thunder Bird, it won't be bad to have options! :-) Maybe I can talk my wife into converting back over to hangin'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast