Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NC Flag Down TQ Project

Hello everyone,

Still stuck on the sewing learning "curb" (as my former assistant used to say), but boulderv7's celtic knot TQ project got my creative juices and ambition flowing so I took a stab at my own unique TQ based on the State of NC flag. One time to be glad I don't live in Hawaii. Outer, inner, and "appliques" are all HyperD 1.0, and it's stuffed with about a pound of 800FP WR down from downlinens.com

Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics, but hope they get the point across.

No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy, but starting with one sure helps me. A lot of the dimensions here changed, and I have found with my sewing skills that it helps to cut and sew everything larger than I plan and trim down as I go. Things have a habit of shrinking on me. Fabric things, that is.

Fabric choices in HyperD were crimson, white, and moroccan blue. I decided to make the liner moroccan blue, as well, and just fold the fabric over at the head as opposed to cutting it and stitching. This also helped me make the drawstring channel as detailed below. First task was joining the crimson & white, for which I did a simple seam, then layed it down and stitched it again. Not as clean as a true felled seam, but hopefully good enough. It looks great on the outside. Make sure to put the shiny side in.

Join the crimson/white to the moroccan blue in the same fashion and the inner/outer liners are done except for adding the flag elements. It's hard to see here, but the top/righthand side is where I just folded the blue fabric instead of cutting and seaming, the rest is underneath.

I then worked on my channel at the head. I wanted to use shock cord with a buttonhole, so after practicing buttonholes one afternoon I settled on a process of stitching a piece of grosgrain in to reinforce the buttonhole. Also, I can't sew a buttonhole in just HyperD, my machine eats it with the zigzag stitch. Mark where your seam is and the centerline, and just box stitch the grosgrain on to the wrong/shiny side so it's hidden inside the quilt. In retrospect, I would have offset this so it doesn't lay right on top of me.

Next, fold the liner over the grosgrain, stitch that seam all the way across, and execute a buttonhole. I wish my stitches were a little closer together, but this is what worked for me.

I used a seam ripper to open my buttonhole, probably not the cleanest method, but it did work.

Now lay that hole seam down on the "inner liner" portion of the moroccan blue and stitch it down. Make sure to only stitch to the inner liner side. This makes your channel flush with the TQ and it will be hidden when you cinch it down.

Can't escape making the flag elements at this point. I cut my elements out of fusible interfacing, ironed it to the wrong side of the HyperD, then made a sandwich of HyperD right sides together, pinned them, and sewed using the interfacing as a guide. I left a 1" opening for turning the whole deal inside out which I didn't even bother to blind stitch closed since it will be top stitched to the outer shell, anyway.

Create the other elements the same way, and top stitch them to the outershell.

Stitching baffles doesn't need another explanation on this forum, it's well covered, but I'll say that using blue masking tape to hold the nooseum was a game changer for me. Last time it stretch while I sewed, then sprang back when I was done and left me a smaller product than I had envisioned. Also, I was shooting for 2" baffles, 2.5" max height, 20F rating.

With the baffles in, it was time to stitch up two sides (remember that the head end is folded and has the buttonhole channel) and start stuffing down. You'll notice some yellow edging at the bottom which is tape I made from HyperD 1.0 spectra yellow. Boulderv7 details the process better than I can in his post, but this is a superb way to cover up a simple seam and add strength. I used the shop vac w/pantyhose method of down injection.

Once the down was in, I sewed up the last side and taped it, as well. Before doing any of the seams I put in the shockcord at the head and stitched over it to secure the ends. A loop exits the buttonhole with a cordlock. I then added grosgrain loops with Kam snaps at the head, and just sewed the footbox with the TQ inside out, then turned it back outside out.

This was my final result, which despite some errors, I'm quite happy with. It's 51" wide x 73" long, lofts to 2.5", and weighs ~30oz. with all "hardware".

Action shot at South Mountains State Park last weekend:

Hope you enjoyed, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That is awesome!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    That quilt looks AWESOME , great job!!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    That is fantastic.
    And I bet it was a great trip to South Mtn.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Woohoo!!! What a great quilt!!! That looks fantastic. I'm glad my quilt inspired you, you've got some real talent there. I'm gonna have to step up my game for my next quilt.

I really like the yellow edging. That looks amazing.

Did you switch thread colors when sewing over your appliqué pieces? It looks like you did.....that's some work and attention to detail right there.

Congrats on an amazing job. I'd love to see this quilt in person someday.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    DIY Multicam /DIY Argon1.6
    Tarp
    CaveCreekPonderosa
    Insulation
    CaveCreekQuilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That is impressive work! I admire you guys that go the extra mile(or 10) to customize like that!

Thanks for the comments, everyone, I really appreciate them. @boulderv7, I did switch thread colors. A lot.

@tallpaul, smsp was amazing, bursting with color, great weather, and totally not hungry trout.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Wow, beautiful work. I always wonder what a flag as a quilt or tarp would look like. What a great project. Good on you for making it happen. Congrats.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Footer GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    That's pretty amazing!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Very nice piece of work there.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast