Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Did you hike the entire trail in 21 days? Daily milage required? Trying to get a feel for it.
    Yep. SOBO from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal. 220 miles. Shorter days at the beginnings, longer days at the end.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Most thru hikers go Whitney to Yosemite. It seems the logic is going from highest point to lowest but there are probably as many sets of logic as there are hikers. We did it in sections to accommodate vacation schedules of the adult leaders. If I did it in one long hike I'd want to take closer to a month and have a few zero mileage days to really embrace the beauty of it.
    That is not my perception at all. SOBO seems much more popular for JMT thru hikes. You start at lower elevation ~4K' and work up, saving the really big mountains for the end.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Interesting. I always thought Yosemite would be the carrot. May need to rethink that. Being a flat lander I certainly understand elevation.
    Yosemite was hot (6/15 start) and crowded. We did not enjoy it at all. The views and experience where much better as we proceeded south.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

VIDEO: John Muir Trail - Sept 2015 - North to South Lake loop

Next time we go we will do a few things differently:

1) hammock

2) Avoid Yosemite Valley. We will start at Tuolumne or maybe farther north and join up with the trail at Tuolumne.

3) Avoid Whitney Portal. The ten miles down from Whitney to the Portal is the least enjoyable trail I've ever hiked. I think we will exit farther south. I haven't researched it but maybe Crabtree or somethin else.

4) Summit Whitney. We did not go the last 1.9 miles from the Trail Junction. It was icy, we were out of food and scary looking clouds were forming. I'm totally bummed we didn't summit but it was the right call, particularly since my hiking partner was my 12 year old son.

5) Esbit stove with just a few tablets. We will go 80% stoveless.

6) Invest in a Bearikade rather than a Bearvault. You can turn around and sell them for most of what you paid.

7) Go really light weight. My pack was ~33# filly loaded. 220 miles with 84k' of elevation change is no joke, at least for us it wasn't. Even after acclimating there is not a lot of oxygen when you get up to 12-13,000'. The trail is above 10k' for 70+ miles...

8) Go for longer. Boy thinks four weeks would be ideal. I agree. I'd like to take a zero or two and really slow down from Evolution through LaConte. It's such a beautiful area.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by clean View Post
    Next time we go we will do a few things differently:

1) hammock

2) Avoid Yosemite Valley. We will start at Tuolumne or maybe farther north and join up with the trail at Tuolumne.

3) Avoid Whitney Portal. The ten miles down from Whitney to the Portal is the least enjoyable trail I've ever hiked. I think we will exit farther south. I haven't researched it but maybe Crabtree or somethin else.

4) Summit Whitney. We did not go the last 1.9 miles from the Trail Junction. It was icy, we were out of food and scary looking clouds were forming. I'm totally bummed we didn't summit but it was the right call, particularly since my hiking partner was my 12 year old son.

5) Esbit stove with just a few tablets. We will go 80% stoveless.

6) Invest in a Bearikade rather than a Bearvault. You can turn around and sell them for most of what you paid.

7) Go really light weight. My pack was ~33# filly loaded. 220 miles with 84k' of elevation change is no joke, at least for us it wasn't. Even after acclimating there is not a lot of oxygen when you get up to 12-13,000'. The trail is above 10k' for 70+ miles...

8) Go for longer. Boy thinks four weeks would be ideal. I agree. I'd like to take a zero or two and really slow down from Evolution through LaConte. It's such a beautiful area.
    The trail starts in Yosemite Valley, but I get your point in terms of congestion. Exiting via Crabtree will increase mileage by a significant amount. Great call to not summit and live to hike another day. That section is tough because if you start late, the ice melts but you are prone to get the afternoon thunderstorms and if you start early you get an icy trail. Don't you just love the disclaimer about lightening storms at Trail Junction? I hope you and your son come out again to hike it your way.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    I meant Horseshoe, not Crabtree. My bad!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Pheonix
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. Nice video!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip. This is a trip I am looking to do in the next few years.
    Mountnman, let me know in advance. Maybe we could hit it together.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Clean, thanks for the input. It is not the way I thought it should be. I had a grand thought of ending in Yosemite with the best vistas to be found. Anymore I find the more freedom, less restriction and no crowds to compete with is the best way to go.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Subjective, but I thought the vistas where much more dramatic at the southern end. That said, the trail is stunning for probably 90% of its length.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123