Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Lol - never herd someone describe taking a pee quite like hat haha

Already got my thermarest sit pad - nifty piece of gear as well
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I came here tonight to pose the same question, 3/4 or full length. Glad there is some insight here.

Pack weight and size isn't a huge concern to me, mostly comfort and flexibility.

I'm thinking if getting a Jarbidge 3 season to use as my year round quilt on all but the hottest days. I'm thinking it will be versatile enough to use wheter it's 60 degrees or 30 degrees. Then if I get into winter camping, get a full length quilt rated for lower temps.

Price is a concern for me, I have a baby on the way so any money saved is nice.

Edit: grammatical error, happens when you're drinking bourbon.
    Last edited by Speedogomer; 10-27-2015 at 22:45.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    L.L Ghost Pepper
    Suspension
    Slings/Dutch Bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I have a full length 0 incubator and LOVE it. But I have used a partial quilt a little too, but not that much. So here's my question: Does anyone ever find a partial quilt more comfortable, because maybe it isn't as restrictive to the lay of the hammock, or do others not find that to be a factor?
    That's something i would be interested in knowing as well pinballwizard. I have noticed in my incubator it can get very restrictive if i don't have it pulled up high enough, almost head level. When it's at my shoulder line it is very uncomfortable. I've often wondered if the 3/4 or even half quilts have this same issue. Since these things don't come with instructions, our only hope lay's the knowledge of the forum member's. Thanks to folks like Shug and Dutch who's taken the time to show/make us some great gear and advice sure makes life a little easier.
    Last edited by Evaed; 10-27-2015 at 22:51.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I have a full length 0 incubator and LOVE it. But I have used a partial quilt a little too, but not that much. So here's my question: Does anyone ever find a partial quilt more comfortable, because maybe it isn't as restrictive to the lay of the hammock, or do others not find that to be a factor?
    I just got my incubator and have been using a Phoenix and felt the same way. I like the full length but I think that the 3/4 will always be my favorite. Feel like my feet are more free, if that makes sense.
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

Hammock
    THC Cloud Series
    Tarp
    THC TC-Winter
    Insulation
    THC Marion UQ/ 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Although I've reached an age where I've realized that a 50lb pack is crazy ridiculous, I'm still not going to cut the handle off of my tooth brush. With that being said, I'm ok carrying a few extra ounces for a full quilt vs a 3/4. Besides that, I'm not so sure that last 1/4 of the quilt is that much heavier than a sit pad, and as Ive said in another post, messing around with a short quilt, pad, etc. seems more work than its worth. I love hammocking for the simplicity and romance of gently swinging in the trees, and climbing into a full, warm, and exceedingly soft setup after a long hike or long day of chasing scouts. And as Ive said before, my snow and rain falls horizontally and at high velocity, so I like to be completely confident that I won't get any cold spots or drafts. So the real answer to your question is a matter of personal choice and what your goals are on each trip. Good luck and Happy Hangin'!
    Teton Hammock Company-
    Tarps and Quilts engineered and tested in the Teton Range, WY & ID

www.tetonhammocks.com

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    I really appreciate the input available here. Just starting out, i have similar questions and although i typically research things a lot, there is no experience like experience. I hope to find a liner and make a PLUQ for the yard before getting a proper UQ. As someone else said in a different post.... Its only money....
    Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You won't have trouble moving a 3/4L UQ. Even those who do a lot of winter camping and use full length stuff, usually don't care to carry the weight and deal with the additional bulk for the other 3 seasons.

There are divided camps. I use 3/4L and just stuff my jacket, pad, or whatever I have that usually comes with me, under my feet, when needed. User's size will also come into play somewhat. At 5' 6" there's not much left of me outside my insulation, at 6' and + it would be a whole different ballgame.
    '
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm not so much a gram counter, but using a full length UQ, I became acutely aware of how much down and material I wasn't using. Kind of the same revelation when you go to a TQ where you don't miss all that unused bottom of the sleeping bag. There are simply more efficient ways to keep your legs and feet warm.

That said, I wasn't willing to trust a short one for winter, so instead I have a short Incubator - probably similar to the 7/8 gunner76 mentioned. I have a Jarbridge as well, and another syn UQ that is a bit longer and not as stout. I'm 5'10" tall and the short incubator fits me ankles to shoulders, with pillow for my head. I don't notice much difference with my Jarbridge with a knee pillow and foot pad - which doubles as a small sit pad, something I've found I need anyway (the knee pillow is my camp jacket that I don't wear to sleep in).

So, the shorter quilts are often complemented by items you're using anyway, or could use. I'd probably recommend that folks get a full quilt at first, though, if they don't have as much experience with a hammock setup yet. The full length quilts keep things more symmetrical, easier to figure out at first.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    depends
    Insulation
    diy
    Suspension
    diy&bling
    I use full lenght during winter and ½ lenght for the rest of the year. When using ½ lenght I do have a small foot pad in the foot box of my top quilt. Main reason I use ½ lenght is weight and packsize.

I have both and prefer the 3/4.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast