Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blue Ridge Parkway

Hammock camping is not prohibited though we do have some recent concerns with some trees in our campgrounds staring to show bark scars from where people have not paid attention to materials, placement, or wise use of a hammock.

Finding appropriate trees has also resulted in many of our campsites being "enlarged" as people extend their gear into the wooded areas as opposed to the defined camp site areas where facilities are already present.

All that being said, hammock use is allowed in all of our campgrounds at designated tent sites where such use is possible. If you have any questions you should check with the Rangers or Volunteers staffing the campgrounds when you arrive.

Bear canisters are certainly permissible as a form of food storage and many of our campgrounds offer bear boxes that can also provide secure storage if necessary.

Sincerely,

Neal Labrie

--
    Neal D. Labrie
    Chief Ranger, Blue Ridge Parkway
    199 Hemphill Knob Rd.
    Asheville, NC 28803
    828-348-3426

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, I think what you're most likely to see is the implementation of phantom rules/laws by rangers, etc., who interpret some rules with sort of a negative attitude towards hammocks - mostly because of what Biker Bob just described. Some of it has no base, though, its just folks in their tent box with lack of understanding about hammocks. How else do you explain having to hang over a tent pad? The rule itself isn't written for hammocks, of course, but those in charge seem to feel compelled to enforce it as if it were.

So, lack of laws aside, you still need to be aware of what you might run into. I say go and hang and if you get the business from someone, kindly explain your setup and how its a more preferred way to camp per LNT.org. At worst, you may have to move on the next day as I've not heard of cases of folks being thrown out. Plenty of cases of folks who asked and were told No. So don't ask. Educate by example.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Speaking of Michigan; any State or Federal land where camping (site specific or dispersed) is allowed.
    That's why I usually head north; they keep it simple. If you're on state land just make sure you hang a Camp Registration Card (PR 4134) on a tree near your camp.

They're free here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...7.pdf?20140624 (no checkbox for "Hammock" yet )

The card also has rules on the back. These are not necessary on federal land (state forests).

You're supposed to leave one half of the card on the tree when you leave, but man, that's crazy. Some hillbilly from Indiana could come by the next day and dump a broken refrigerator, old toilet, a couple tires and a few bags of trash. Guess who the DNR will be calling? I saw zero of these when I went up to Green Timbers last winter after the group hang, but I hung mine! Not blaming anyone, though, for the reason I just mentioned.

I have also asked COE about camping at Strom Thurman but because a hang was held at a group area will assume hammocks are welcome. The BRP problem is not confined to hammock hangers, but tree damage could easily come from tenters or even RVers hanging tarps and lanterns from trees. They could also be guilty of expanding the campsites. I know we need to practice LNT even in established campgrounds to be able to continue to hang anywhere.

Bob

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soda67 View Post
    Haven't had a problem yet in Idaho or Wyoming. Have hung a lot in Grand Teton National Park, just need the basic camp sight permits, observe proper bear safety, and use common sense. Above all, my rule for my scout troop, and hopefully all others observe this too, is no ropes allowed on trees. Always use appropriately wide straps.
    Can you clarify a bit more? I would like to hang in the Cloud Peak Wilderness area (at lower elevations of course) but don't want an issue with Rangers.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Where I live it is against the (city) law to camp, but it is also against the law to trespass on private property. Police have to have a complaint and a reasonable suspicion and unless they can see from the road or have land owners permission to search or have a warrant. The gray area is in Chattanooga Tn, camping is restricted to to commercial C-1 zoned areas, or Tent only sights and most commercial property is also privately owned so it is at the owners discretion as long as it follows city code. Tent sights are limited to plots of land 10acers or larger with no more than 10 campsites per acer and a 60% left all natural. But allows shelters as an accessory in a Tent sight but not in a Commercial. So most state parks and fall under these guidelines. There is no mentioning of Hammocks, Hammock camping or defined terms to even what all that involves. So here its falls under the same guidelines of turning left on red, There is no law against it as long as you stopped first, and if someone else is around that thinks it is wrong chances are you will be stopped questioned but not much else. But There is no law on the books in this county that restricts it. The catch is unless there is a posted sign. Like no camping, no turns on red, no trespassing ect or by direction of the landowner or the holders of the land trust.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    Biker Bob mentioned this above. I want to elaborate: Tree damage in state parks and State Forest campsites in general is almost always from other than hammock suspensions. The worst of it is usually the.Coleman style lanterns that have not been hung on extensions out away from the tree bark.

The heat "cooks" the cambium and inner bark and will result in a dead patch often right about where you'd wrap your tree straps. This injury will let in disease and bugs and interrupts the flow of water and nutrients to canopy above. When car camping I take nail puller crowbars and screw gun. All to remove hanging hardware, mostly nails and screws. As a 25 year Ranger in parks ans forests I would demonstrate how trees were injured by campers by asking an individual to stand in the center of any campsite and look at the surface of trees facing in to the center of the site. Most people have an "oh Wow! moment looking at all the "catface" scars and dead patches. Lanterns!

Me again,
    Florida requires one inch straps for state parks. Some campsites are designated for hammock camping in at least some of the parks.

Everglades National Park states on line, nothing is to be attached to a tree.

Chattahoochee National Fores campgrounds allow hammocks. The campground host offered to loan me a tent because rain was predicted. Maybe they didn't see the hammock under the tarp.

All three forests in Florida require bear safety, which requires all smelly items be placed in a vehicle not a convertible, hung or in an approved bear canister. They say non-pliable which I guess eleminates the Ursack.

Bob

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Look at this thread for a prettyy comprehensivce discussion of this.
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...=State+project
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    I'd be interested to hear from the folks in the south west - CO, CA, AZ, Utah - as that is where I like to play. I'm just starting out on my hammock lifestyle, so I don't really know the rules yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12