Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

What are the laws on hammock camping?

Where can you lawfully camp overnight in a hammock? Since hammocks don't mess up the ground like a tent does, are hammock campers allowed to camp in some parks where tent campers wouldn't otherwise be allowed? Can it be on any federal/state land or does it have to be where camping is explicitly stated to be ok? Not sure if this might depend on which state you're in. If so, I'm in Michigan.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Hammock camping is allowed on most federal land/parks. The Great Smokey Mt NP has some quirky rules about hammock hanging depending on if there is a shelter at the camp site and if the shelter is already full or not. Lots of gray areas.

Hanging at state parks varies state by state and from park to park with in some states. Florida just started allowing hammock camping at most if not all its state parks if you use 2" wide straps.

Here in North Carolina I have yet to find a state park that does not allow hammocks if camping is allowed although some of the parks on the beaches can be a problem due to a lack of trees. No problem hanging in NC in the National Forest and or Wilderness areas ( although there are a few wilderness areas along the coast where it is too swampy to camp in a tent or hammock even if you can get there ).
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yes it is different State to State. Some have organizations that really work to promote hammocks in parks, but as far as I know this basically is to get hammocks accepted in established campgrounds, where, tents, RVs, and other modes of camping are already allowed.

Here in Indiana, I'm not really sure about State Park campgrounds, a talk with a ranger in advance might be advisable. There are a couple SP's and SF's that have made limited back country campsites available to backpackers, but I can't imagine any SP will allow hammock campers access to areas that tents and campers are currently not allowed. We are just getting across the point that properly used hammocks do not damage trees around the already established campsites. The State Parks services around here at least aren't ready to take the attitude that hammockers are such good stewards of the forests that they should be allowed to camp in any areas not currently designated as such.

Fortunately there's plenty of access to dispersed primitive camping throughout our two National Forest Purchaces, and designated Wilderness Areas.

There is also a thread that has a sticky on it, that tries to track that sort of thing state to state.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    DIY HexCat
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY Rapid Deploy
    I don't know any particular rules or laws specifically, but logic dictates to me that hammock camping might not be allowed where tent camping is. Not the other way around. If camping is not permitted in an area, it's probably because the don't want that area disturbed, not because tent camping is specifically bad (although I think we'd all agree hammock camping IS superior).

Rule of thumb: if it says no camping allowed, it means just that. If it says camping allowed, you may need to verify with a ranger/ park office if and where hammock camping is allowed as well.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    In Michigan I have never had a problem with any rule saying "no hammocks".
    Some parks do have a rule against tying anything to trees, as the trees are abused on a regular basis with nails, screws or ropes. Many of the state parks trees have visible sign of stress and damage.
    I've seen or hung hammocks in most of the parks (Holland, Yankee Springs/Gun Lake, Ludington, Manitou Islands, etc.) without any issue.
    At Yankee Springs Deep Lake campground, a few years back, the rangers took interest and did some hammock hanging to see what it was all about. They liked the fact that we used straps and the hammock didn't wreck the grass and soil.

But if you are asked to remove the hammock, do so promptly and politely. Be a good steward for the hammock community.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    THC Cloud Series
    Tarp
    THC TC-Winter
    Insulation
    THC Marion UQ/ 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Haven't had a problem yet in Idaho or Wyoming. Have hung a lot in Grand Teton National Park, just need the basic camp sight permits, observe proper bear safety, and use common sense. Above all, my rule for my scout troop, and hopefully all others observe this too, is no ropes allowed on trees. Always use appropriately wide straps.
    Teton Hammock Company-
    Tarps and Quilts engineered and tested in the Teton Range, WY & ID

www.tetonhammocks.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    VA State parks now do allow hammocks in the same campgrounds with tents but, like tents, everything must be located on the provided pads. Many pads do not have trees so............best practice is to ask the rangers at the parks before you set up. At Belle Isle they would let me set up in the trees beside my camp site but I had to use at least 6 inch trees and 2 inch straps.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Have not had any issues in WV state parks. you cannot camp in areas that do not allow camping, but the campgrounds are all good. Like a lot of places the campsites are traditionally set up for tents, but you can usually find a couple of trees to hang from. Mostly, the park staff is just curious about hammocks. Use good, accepted practices for hanging your hammock, answer any questions the staff may have and point them to this forum. Once they see that we are VERY protective of the trees, they are pretty decent.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    in michigan you shouldn't have any problems at any of the state parks or on federal land. the biggest problem you could have in state parks are the lack of trees at your site. the only place i have encountered an issue is at national parks like pictured rocks. it is only due to their 15ft rule from your sites post. sometimes it is difficult to find two trees that will work and be within 15ft of your site post (this 4x4 post you slide your registration into). to get around this and it was a slightly shady move, i made sure one of my tree straps was within 15ft or one of the trees i chose was within the 15ft. i.e. the closest part of my set up was at 15ft but the other end of my hammock was more like 28ft. most of the time, if you are not acting like a jackass you'll be left alone.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Speaking of Michigan; any State or Federal land where camping (site specific or dispersed) is allowed. Unfortunately no camping allowed means no camping, tho you might be able to set up a hammock temporarily for relaxation purposes, that takes you into a grey area where LEOs have to use their on judgement on the issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast