Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This comes up every winter. I just hope you don't put your peed-in underquilt up for sale in the FS forum. We know who you are!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    This comes up every winter. I just hope you don't put your peed-in underquilt up for sale in the FS forum. We know who you are!
    Couldn't have said it better.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    (I, for one, could do without the unnecessary and gratuitous knee-jerk jabs at "D.C." Both my eldest daughter and my son-in-law live and work in D.C. and are brilliant, hard-working, honorable citizens.)
    They need to to do a hang with my sister - she has a great sense of humor. She first moved to DC in 1975 to attend Trinity College (now known as Trinity Washington University) and has been living inside the Beltway ever since. What a small world.
    Last edited by Roche; 10-23-2015 at 05:50.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Check out this thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...bing+extension

All is discussed - even the concept of evaporated urine clouds. Yep. Clouds of urine raining down upon us.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Any time I need an eyelet hole in a piece of fabric for a cord attachment or somesuch, I sew on a 1" piece of 1/2" webbing or grosgrain for reinforcement and use a soldering iron to melt the hole. No problems with this method after years of use in adjustable hammocks. However when I attached an underquilt with buttons and sewn on bungee loops (instead of button holes) I found the thread holding both buttons and loops sometimes failed. They were apparently subjected to larger forces than buttons on a shirt front have to withstand. I don't see much use for button holes in my hammock making.

(Also, making a button hole with a Singer 15-91 might be very time consuming.)

Images
    You can also use a scrap of interfacing (a non-woven synthetic material which doesn't unravel) to reinforce a buttonhole or eyelet. Medium to heavyweight works well. Interfacing is the stuff in the collar and facings of a dress shirt. There are iron-on and sew-in types. I prefer sew-in as the iron-on requires a hotter iron than our thin fabrics can stand.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I had to laugh at this. But on the serious side... back when those machines were state of the art any one who stitched at all would learn the hand sewn buttonhole stitch. Once you become proficient at it you can finish off a buttonhole in jig time with a better, classier and sturdier finish than the modern zig zag could ever hope to give. In high end couturier garments they are still done that way. But you pay through the nose for it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You can put a piece of stiff paper under the ripstop to keep it from jamming down into the plate. As far as cutting the hole, use a hot knife. Seals the edges.

As far as a hose, ... what do you do about your pad or UQ?

(I, for one, could do without the unnecessary and gratuitous knee-jerk jabs at "D.C." Both my eldest daughter and my son-in-law live and work in D.C. and are brilliant, hard-working, honorable citizens.)
    The idea would be for a hammock with a built in UQ... a channel would run through the UW too... Just have to watch out for your shoes/pack/tyvek ground sheet!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Any time I need an eyelet hole in a piece of fabric for a cord attachment or somesuch, I sew on a 1" piece of 1/2" webbing or grosgrain for reinforcement and use a soldering iron to melt the hole. No problems with this method after years of use in adjustable hammocks. However when I attached an underquilt with buttons and sewn on bungee loops (instead of button holes) I found the thread holding both buttons and loops sometimes failed. They were apparently subjected to larger forces than buttons on a shirt front have to withstand. I don't see much use for button holes in my hammock making.

Great tips!

Not sure what model I have, but I'm pretty sure there is an electronic setting to do numerous types of button holes... I'm guessing it's not a 15-91...

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Here's a girls point of view. No, Heck No!! But.....you know that there is always a But when a woman speaks. If you attached a pee bag somewhere to the end of the hose it might work. Wouldn't want your gear smelling like pee. Anyway the reason I walk away from my hammock to pee in the middle of a cold night is so I don't have to smell piss. Heck, my dog won't even pee need the hammock. It would really have to be storming outside my tarp for me to even be close when I have to go.
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast