Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    ibgary,

Down is excellent but for me, it is kind of bulkier than what I need. I use an old helmet liner, from my younger days, back when part of my job was fighting wild fires, in the western states. The liner went inside my wildland fire helmet. Its made of thin, quilted wool and also has a chin strap. You can find the same liner at welding and/or construction equipment supply stores. They are about 10 bucks. The chin strap is superb at keeping the hat in place during the night.

I can use the liner by itself down to about 20 degrees. Below that I use a thin " Buff Type " head wrap under the liner hat. Only been down to 12 degrees with this set up but I was plenty warm.

Have a good 4th

I am not a computer guy but I will try to past a link below

https://www.ebay.com/c/3027324819

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks. Appreciate the responses.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Love this, especially the racooon, although if its representative of the coons around me it should have some scavenged food in its mouth!

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Well on this weeks trip I was cold 2 of 3 nights, both were in the low 30s when I woke, or got up, I was already awake. Perhaps it's just time for a new TQ, the one I had is about 8 yrs old. Any comments on the life span of down. I try to refluf it in the dryer with no heat after trips. Probably been washed once or twice.
    Thinking of going with Primaloft Gold on the next one. Is that going to be DIY or is it available from any vendors?
    Frost covered seat.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Well on this weeks trip I was cold 2 of 3 nights, both were in the low 30s when I woke, or got up, I was already awake. Perhaps it's just time for a new TQ, the one I had is about 8 yrs old. Any comments on the life span of down. I try to refluf it in the dryer with no heat after trips. Probably been washed once or twice.
    Thinking of going with Primaloft Gold on the next one. Is that going to be DIY or is it available from any vendors?
    Frost covered seat.

Down lasts a LONG time if properly cared for. How does your quilt look as far as puffiness goes? Does it look flat compared to new, or not as thick? What was it's original rating? If it has lost loft, wash it with some thing like Nikwax down wash, in a large front loading machine with NO agitator. Run a rinse cycle through the machine first to make sure no harmful detergents remain behind. Dry on low heat with some tennis balls. It might puff right up for you.
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...eping-bag.html

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have a down jacket that’s been used for 50 years. They will last if good quality to begin with and treated right. That means how they are stored when not in use - not some chemical application. Also, down can shift and occasionally redistributed where it’s needed. For example, shaking the bag so the loft is more towards the middle. That movement depends on the baffling used in construction. 8 years old is not “young”, but not too old either. As BillyBob58 indicated, more info would be handy - like is it goose down or duck down? I don’t have any duck down gear but it’s my understanding it has a lower performace than goose down with a cost saving trade off.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I had a Campmor brand down bag that was over 30 yrs old that I donated to my friend's BSA troop a few years ago. I think it was 650fp which back then was pretty good. Washed it in the tub with some down-specific detergent and dried it in the tumble dryer with some tennis balls. Darn thing looked like new and was plenty puffy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks for the suggestions. The TQ I think is 800 goose down, 30* rating. It from HG so good quality. I store it hanging in a closet, but on trips it is stuffed into a 25 liter dry bag along with the UQ, hammock and tarp if the tarp is dry. I've been reluctant to wash it very much. I tend to hang it on a line in the back yard for a few hours after each trip. I'd say the loft is about 1/2 of what it was new. I'll try a gentle cleaning.

Tried something new last week.
    The campground was somewhat lacking in trees. I set up my daughter's hammock and another for her friend. Then I was almost out of trees. It was about 30' and the hammock was to low. I was about to anchor out my pole when it occurred to me that by putting it in-line with the two trees I could raise the strap= hammock. I put the pole into the strap with the tip acting like the toggle on a Marlin Spike Hitch. Shazam, hammock was the correct height. Sorry no pics.

Hammock
    Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    Paladin
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Really cool! Heading up to Flagstaff next weekend to hammock camp. Never heard of a brecket hitch. I'll have to look that up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516