Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    In the absence of a formal governing body for Camp Setup Rodeo: The rules is; They ain't no rules. As a slow old geezer, innovative gear and techniques can help me set my rig faster. This can be of great benefit with darkness and a fast moving storm closing in on tired, hungry hammockers. I look forward to seeing your ideas. And possibly adapting some innovations to my slow old guy set up. I think the winners of this contest will have some sort of single line suspension with everything already attached. After attaching strap with Dutch clips and pushing two stakes into the ground the clock would stop with seconds remaining in the first minute. I go into the woods to relax. Even an old guy like me can learn a few techniques to enhance ease of use. And if nothing else there is great entertainment and puzzle solving value.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    ...And if nothing else there is great entertainment and puzzle solving value.
    LOL, True, true. I'm not super fast, maybe 5 minutes or so with my kelty tarp (a bit longer with the Old Man Winter). For me, I probably spend twice as much time scoping out WHERE to hang. Distance, view, dead branches, midnight run hazards, etc. My main speed worry is getting the tarp up and staked in case a storm is inbound. Once that is complete, I can relax.

BUT, I am looking forward to seeing some fast setups for ideas. I can't imagine a faster tarp setup than a CRL with Dutch bling, but ya never know. Also, Can't wait to see a Lazy Slug Bag. Do those really fit in a backpack? Gotta see it!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hobopelican, maybe search Wilderness Logics videos either on Hammock Forums or YouTube for Lazy Slug Tube?

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Both of these are product videos, but you can see how it speeds up the set up. That's what our philosophy is all about. I'm too lazy by the time I get to camp. After setting my bear canister aside, I set up and, if I ate dinner earlier, I'm in the hammock ready for bed within a minute or two. Take down is just as easy.

-Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Great stuff, Jeremy! I hadn't seen those videos before.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A couple of minutes typically, once I've found the spot. All my suspension stays attached, and I use lazy slug tubes. Dutch clips on my webbing. I clip around the tree at the foot end first, eyeball the whoopie length to allow a little slack, open the tube and deploy as I walk to the head end tree. Clip the webbing there, then adjust the whoopies. My UQ stays on my hammock, and my TQ in it. Big slug tubes ftw.

Similar deal with the tarp but I use flyz at each end. Eyeball one end, deploy to the other then adjust.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    A couple of minutes typically, once I've found the spot. All my suspension stays attached, and I use lazy slug tubes. Dutch clips on my webbing. I clip around the tree at the foot end first, eyeball the whoopie length to allow a little slack, open the tube and deploy as I walk to the head end tree. Clip the webbing there, then adjust the whoopies. My UQ stays on my hammock, and my TQ in it. Big slug tubes ftw.

Similar deal with the tarp but I use flyz at each end. Eyeball one end, deploy to the other then adjust.
    Curious, do you use this system for backpacking? I love the idea, but it seems like it would be tough to get in and out of a pack.
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Both of these are product videos, but you can see how it speeds up the set up. That's what our philosophy is all about. I'm too lazy by the time I get to camp. After setting my bear canister aside, I set up and, if I ate dinner earlier, I'm in the hammock ready for bed within a minute or two. Take down is just as easy.
    FIMB you know you can set up faster than that video We could race but you are younger, faster, and know all my secrets

MedicineMan uses a one bag system that can be deployed as fast as needed also. I have had my daughter high and dry in less than a minute when a sleet/snow storm hit us on a trip to the Big South Fork. I have almost lost some good hiking buddies after mentioning that I was high and dry and they were still in the early stages of setting up. It did not help that we had been hiking all day, lost, and it started raining as we set up.

BTW I was in the BoneFire on that trip so I was also warm!

Video of prototype setup a couple years back.
    Last edited by hangnout; 10-29-2015 at 19:27.

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobopelican View Post
    Curious, do you use this system for backpacking? I love the idea, but it seems like it would be tough to get in and out of a pack.
    Down quilts pack well. My old Kelty pack has a zipped compartment so I don't need to unpack everything else to get to it. I've managed to get my winter quilts in there, so summer backpacking gear is easy by comparison.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    FIMB you know you can set up faster than that video We could race but you are younger, faster, and know all my secrets

MedicineMan uses a one bag system that can be deployed as fast as needed also. I have had my daughter high and dry in less than a minute when a sleet/snow storm hit us on a trip to the Big South Fork. I have almost lost some good hiking buddies after mentioning that I was high and dry and they were still in the early stages of setting up. It did not help that we had been hiking all day, lost, and it started raining as we set up.

BTW I was in the BoneFire on that trip so I was also warm!

Video of prototype setup a couple years back.
    It's true! In the winter, I do tend more towards the one-bag solution. I need to get a bigger tarp sock for my new prototype hammock. People look at me like I'm nuts pulling it all out and being set up in under a minute.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast