wbbb dl 1.7
    Tarp
    Oes maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    webbing,c-buckles

condensation, HELP!!

So i had my first hang on the weekend and it was awesome except for one issue. i woke up at 5 to pee and noticed that i had some dampness under my legs. im not a big sweater in my sleep but when i reached in between the layers the pad was actually wet. it was only a little damp under my back but it was definetly wet under my legs. i was using quarter inch landau foam in my bb 1.7 dl that brandon had recomended and was really pleased at its warmth. i will shortly be getting an underquilt(as soon as i can hide the money from the wife) but would like to be able if possible to make the pad work for a little while. i was using a 20 degree down bag as a quilt and was sleeping in a tshirt and sweatpants. the pad was cut in one piece with cuts at the middle and was comfortable. warmth wise felt that i would have been comfortable down another 10-12 degrees. the temp was a low of 53 with 95 percent humidity and drizzle. i was perfectly dry under my backwoods daydreamer four seasons tarp. my questions are:

if i cut holes in the pad will that help with the condensation but cut down on the warmth?

if i use separate pieces of pad for my back and legs will that help?

if i sleep with another layer under me(like using the sleeping bag as a bag) will that help?

was the condensation just because of the really high humidity or do you think i can always expect it?

Thanks for your input in advance!

(as a side note ive got to mention that it was probably the best night of sleep that i have had in the last 5 years period)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had a ton of perspiration problems when I was using a CCF pad. Here is the fix I used:
    I used an empty .223 shell to cut holes in a cut down Wally World blue mat and then put it inside a fleece bag. It worked well for me in temps down to the 40s with a patrol bag.
    I don't know if it was the holes or the fleece that did the job, but it was a major improvement over the pad alone as a fix for condensation. I just sewed the fleece like a pillow case and slide the perforated pad inside.

-Mike

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've had minor condensation issues with a Wally World pad but never with a Thermarest style pad. The only thing I can think that would make a difference would be the nylon (or whatever) coating on the Thermarest. Thermarest now makes a 1" very light and compact pad which I am considering. It's even available in a 25" width. I always use an underquilt but when it's really cold I like the additional protection of the pad.

Miguel

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    The only thing I can think that would make a difference would be the nylon (or whatever) coating on the Thermarest.
    This is theory I work under as well. I dislike pads...a lot. Mostly due to the issue being discussed here. Normal people tend to sweat at least a little using pads in hammocks and I've got the internal furnace from heck, so sweating is a guarantee for me when using pads.

The Speer SPE made a HUGE difference in that area. Once I figured it out, I just started either attaching a layer of nylon on the top of the pad or using the SPE. I still dealt with some dampness, but nothing like what I was dealing with before.

Now, pads are just for resting the butt upon when sitting on a rock. One ocassionally finds its way under my legs at night, but I stay warm with underquilts these days and see no reason under the sun to go back to pads. But if I did, they'd be wrapped in a SPE from Mr. Speer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    ltruelove
    my questions are:

if i sleep with another layer under me(like using the sleeping bag as a bag) will that help?

I have tried this and all it does is make the sleeping bag absorb the condensation.

was the condensation just because of the really high humidity or do you think i can always expect it?

No this will occur any time. I find it that my first night is fine but the second night is worse. I now try to air out my setup, if weather allows.

I encounter this problem even with my HH SS (super shelter) Since the UC is coated nylon it acts as a VB and traps the condensation in.

an extra layer of fleece ontop of the foam did seem to limit or eliminate the problem for me.

I learned a tip from Sgt Rock's site years ago...

A thin light fleece on top of a pad seems to work for condensation problems. I started out carrying one and never had any issues. But once I got into backpacking in my new home region I realized I wasn't facing any humidity, either. I eventually dropped out the fleece cover and any condensation issues that try to surface are taken care of my sleepwear.

But in higher humidity areas such as yours I'd definitely give the pad cover idea a try. Campmor sells a great, light "Micro Fleece Throw", #82223-B, for $11. It's 50 X 59" and weighs 11oz. The size is perfect for the wide Oware and Gossamer pads. I used some plastic butterfly clips I picked up at Target's office supply aisle to hold the throw in place. I don't see those clips anymore but at WalMart I've noticed some plastic clips for potato chip bags that looks like they'd get the job done.

FB

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ltruelove View Post
    my questions are:

if i cut holes in the pad will that help with the condensation but cut down on the warmth?

if i use separate pieces of pad for my back and legs will that help?

Thanks for your input in advance!

(as a side note ive got to mention that it was probably the best night of sleep that i have had in the last 5 years period)
    I built my SPE based on the Speer SPE original design. I used fleece for the middle section the big pad goes in and regular ripstop for the wings. I also use a Z-Lite which is egg crate like (convoluted?) foam and that helps keep the water/condensation off of me. In the morning the egg shaped craters have water in them.

I also sleep in my mummy bag like a regular bag not a quilt. My bag has synthetic fill on the bottom and down on top. I just seem to stay warmer this way and it does help to keep the wet stuff from getting to me.

You will have condensation no matter what, the CCF is a vapor barrier, but it will be worse in high humidity environments. During low humidity it may not even be noticeable, it isn't for me anyway.

Cutting holes would be a last option for me, and if it were that bad all the time I would consider an underquilt instead of CCF.

I don't think separate pieces would help that much; it didn't for me anyway.

I wear Wool or Silk longjons as well, having a wicking layer next to my body really helps.

When it is really cold, and I am at the edge of my insulation temps, I use a dedicated vapor barrier inside my bag, but that is the only time and is only used when temps are lower than my insulation will handle.

I have slept comfortably in only my 3/4 CCF, bag and wool longjons, socks and watch cap to 17 degrees.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    an extra layer of fleece ontop of the foam did seem to limit or eliminate the problem for me.
    I tried inserting my Ridgerest pad inside my Thermolite Reactor sleeping bag liner but it didn't help. I still got condensation collecting in the little recessed cavities of the pad which kept me dry. It was enough condensation that I could actually shake it out. I'm officially on the anti pad bandwagon now. I'm thinking for colder weather I'd rather have a full underquilt or another short underquilt to pair up with my 3 season Yeti.

pads certainly aren't the "best" option for hammocking, but they are the cheapest and most versatile (going to ground) so they have their place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast