Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Vbl and a fleece bib to catch moisture from breath. Hardly any moisture or condensation

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use a sock a lot. I just keep it on my hammock so there is no "extra" setup. You can get condensation if you don't vent it enough, but venting is easy to do. If the temps are enough to get condensation in the sock, I'm guessing you'd get condensation on your TQ without a sock - except you usually have enough ventilation. And you can unzip your sock a bit, near your head, to get the same ventilation.

A benefit of a sock is it's extra protection if the wind changes or your tarp isn't quite right and it starts raining or your UQ isn't snugged up. Without the help of someone else, getting those adjustments "perfect" is difficult as things change when you are in vs out of the hammock. Having a sock means adjustments aren't so critical.

A note on that rain - I'm not saying the sock is rain proof, but its "weather proof" enough to protect you from stray sprinkles that might find their way under the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Hammock sock is a good investment .But what i have done is use my 20 deg under quilt!With a topper made from sheltowee hammocks! And this will keep the extra wind and cold from getting to you! And another thing i did was make a 12foot by 10 feet width tarp with no cat cuts so i can tarp it almost down to the ground tried it in the gorge for 4 night's never got cold and this was early fall.Hope to try it out in the winter.At the linnville gorge hang Just ordered a quilt protector from TQZQ This should add extra warmth..Mistone
    Last edited by mistone; 11-19-2015 at 17:43.
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ 0 / HG TQ 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    OK so I decided to do both. I ordered the 0 degree incubator , 20 degree burrow, and the winter argon vented sock from dutchware. Now I hope for some cold weather in fl to test it before January in North Carolina.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember to open it a bit near your head for venting - and even then, if you get some condensation, it's just part of the game in cold temperatures (like trying to keep bird feeders away from squirrels - it's just how much effort you want to put into it). If it's really cold I use a silk balaclava and I can pull it up over my nose. If it is REALLY cold, I have a hood with eye holes and a nose cover. But I have to be careful when wearing that near the "public" - they might get the wrong idea - i.e. I take it off before I walk out to get the morning paper (when I'm sleeping outside).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-24-2015 at 13:10.

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    I've got most of the gear in my hammock camping collection at this point. The only thing I picked up recently that I did not have was The Dutchware Argon sock. This weekend i'll be doing a section hike on the Appalachian trail at 3500-4000 ft elevation. I plan to leave home my 2QZQ underquilt protector and bring the sock instead to test over my Dream Hammock and 10 degree TQ and UQ. I'll let you know what my experience was.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ 0 / HG TQ 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Thank you jstevens. I received my sock in the mail yesterday. Did backyard test. Fl is to warm today but windy. I did feel less wind and was comfortable inside. Come on cold.

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Had to camp in a valley Saturday night after a light rain/sleet for most of the day. I've got HG 20's TQ/UQs and a cuben fiber with doors for a tarp. It got down into the mid teens, was breezy, and humid if it's possible at those temps. I'm a warm sleeper.

Well, I had an underquilt malfunction. Apparently there was a large gap at the end and on the bottom foot side. Tried to adjust it several times and just couldn't get it to seal. I was in a Hennesy, and didn't have the sides staked out as usual. Miserable night, and I was wishing a had a sock. Maybe that would have stopped the draft. My buddy had a cuben fiber without doors, and in the morning both of our tarps had a coating of ice (not frost) inside and out, ice on UQ's, crazy stuff.

Couldn't get it to seal quite right the next night though it was better. I'm getting a sock pronto. I don't think top cover wouldn't have solved my problem, I think I would have had just as much condensation with it and possible ice, and nothing to stop that breeze from getting into the UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123