Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better

eed help..Warbonnet Yeti Winter Underquilt or Jacks R Better Greylock 4 Underquilt

Guys I've decided to go for an underquilt just seems the better way to go. I think I've narrowed it to the above two chouces. Hammock is the Warbonnet XLC. The Greylock is a tad longer and wider. Kind of like that feature and might be rated a little lower for colder weather. I live in SoCal but would want the option to use it in much colder enviroments like Colorado (in the snow).

Yeti concern is if it comes up high enough on the shoulders. On the otherhand looks like it may pack down a little smaller.

I'd like to get your opinion on these underquilts especially if you use they or have friends using them.

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Guys I've decided to go for an underquilt just seems the better way to go. I think I've narrowed it to the above two chouces. Hammock is the Warbonnet XLC. The Greylock is a tad longer and wider. Kind of like that feature and might be rated a little lower for colder weather. I live in SoCal but would want the option to use it in much colder enviroments like Colorado (in the snow).

Yeti concern is if it comes up high enough on the shoulders. On the otherhand looks like it may pack down a little smaller.

I'd like to get your opinion on these underquilts especially if you use they or have friends using them.
    I have a Yeti. Beautifully made. What is does lack is head and foot cinch cords and secondary suspension. You might want to add UGQ to your candidate list also as they too do great work and have these features.

BTW, I have the XLC also.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion is to call/contact each vendor with your specific question and concerns. They will know better than anyone how to answer your questions and it will also give you a good idea of their customer service. For me, not giving me a timely response on a sale gives me a good indicator of how they will respond on an issue/after sale.

BTW, I don't think you could go wrong with either of the vendor you mentioned
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    You'll get tons of recommendations for each.

I prefer wider/longer for an UQ for obvious reasons. That means extra bulk (like you said) and (usually) weight, so if those are low enough in your pack already, then go for the added dimensions. Caveat: if you don't move in your sleep then go smaller and lighter.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I use a 3-season Yeti & have stayed nice and warm down to 27 degrees (no wind). The lack of cinch cords at each end has not been an issue. The Yeti does have a baffle of material with down in it at each end. This does seem to seal up well. You can add a secondary suspension if you find the quilt sliding down the suspension. This is what I did and have not had an issue. I am narrow in the shoulders, but do occasionally have it slip off my shoulder, usually because I have just repositioned and my feet will hit the suspension on the opposite side. I just reach out and pull it back up. Any of the vendors you have mentioned make great quilts. I do agree about checking out Underground quilts. I have a 40 degree UQ from them & it works great!.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I used a 3 season Yeti with my Blackbird for awhile. I found it to be too narrow for me as I move around a lot and I wear a size 48-50 jacket. It also did not fit very well on any other hammock I tried it on, but it did fit the Blackbird like a glove, as expected. I sold it and bought a Greylock. The extra coverage is nice and the versatility really sealed the deal for me. I can use it on my Blackbird, my Ridgerunner, and my DIY hammocks. I don't find the added bulk to be an issue with the way I pack things (no stuff sacks or compression bags).

They are both excellent pieces of gear that are well made and do the jobs they are designed to do.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I have a Yeti. Beautifully made. What is does lack is head and foot cinch cords and secondary suspension. You might want to add UGQ to your candidate list also as they too do great work and have these features.

BTW, I have the XLC also.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    My suggestion is to call/contact each vendor with your specific question and concerns. They will know better than anyone how to answer your questions and it will also give you a good idea of their customer service. For me, not giving me a timely response on a sale gives me a good indicator of how they will respond on an issue/after sale.

BTW, I don't think you could go wrong with either of the vendor you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    You'll get tons of recommendations for each.

I prefer wider/longer for an UQ for obvious reasons. That means extra bulk (like you said) and (usually) weight, so if those are low enough in your pack already, then go for the added dimensions. Caveat: if you don't move in your sleep then go smaller and lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I use a 3-season Yeti & have stayed nice and warm down to 27 degrees (no wind). The lack of cinch cords at each end has not been an issue. The Yeti does have a baffle of material with down in it at each end. This does seem to seal up well. You can add a secondary suspension if you find the quilt sliding down the suspension. This is what I did and have not had an issue. I am narrow in the shoulders, but do occasionally have it slip off my shoulder, usually because I have just repositioned and my feet will hit the suspension on the opposite side. I just reach out and pull it back up. Any of the vendors you have mentioned make great quilts. I do agree about checking out Underground quilts. I have a 40 degree UQ from them & it works great!.
    Thanks guys all great advise. Gotta say I didn't even notice the cinch cord not on the Yeti. Not a huge issue but hve to think one will get s more cutomized fit with it. Leaning towards the Greylock 4 could most likeley get away with the 3 season but the extra insulation I think is a good idea. Can always vent it if needed. Talking to the vendors is sound advise as well. Just wanted to get some feed back here as this site is so AWESOME, glad I found it.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    I used a 3 season Yeti with my Blackbird for awhile. I found it to be too narrow for me as I move around a lot and I wear a size 48-50 jacket. It also did not fit very well on any other hammock I tried it on, but it did fit the Blackbird like a glove, as expected. I sold it and bought a Greylock. The extra coverage is nice and the versatility really sealed the deal for me. I can use it on my Blackbird, my Ridgerunner, and my DIY hammocks. I don't find the added bulk to be an issue with the way I pack things (no stuff sacks or compression bags).

They are both excellent pieces of gear that are well made and do the jobs they are designed to do.
    AScott great minds think alike I think you nailed it for me. Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Each Vender is trying to get at different requirements and trying to compare two quilts is like trying to compare an apple and an orange. I have the 3S Yeti and purchased it for one reason...light weight for 20º warmth. It does just that. I loved the way it is shaped to fit the WBBB and the curve of the left shoulder "hooks" on my hammock and my lay just right. However, I also bought it for the only bottom insulation for long distance hiking and a future AT Thru Hike.

If I had unlimited funds, wasn't alway's taking "shake down" hikes, and wanted insured warmth for weekend or short section hikes in "winter", I think the Greylock and HG underquilts would be the choice over the Yeti.

HYOH also means you need to choose gear that meets the hike you want to hike.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks-R-Better
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Each Vender is trying to get at different requirements and trying to compare two quilts is like trying to compare an apple and an orange. I have the 3S Yeti and purchased it for one reason...light weight for 20º warmth. It does just that. I loved the way it is shaped to fit the WBBB and the curve of the left shoulder "hooks" on my hammock and my lay just right. However, I also bought it for the only bottom insulation for long distance hiking and a future AT Thru Hike.

If I had unlimited funds, wasn't alway's taking "shake down" hikes, and wanted insured warmth for weekend or short section hikes in "winter", I think the Greylock and HG underquilts would be the choice over the Yeti.

HYOH also means you need to choose gear that meets the hike you want to hike.
    Yep good points, thanks. At this point because of the extra size I plan to order the Greylock. Just a bit more versitile. I'm not an ultra light camper or hiker and I'm more inclined to make sure my sleep system is comfortable at the expense of some extra weight. Both look like great UQs.

• + New Posts