Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles

UQ w/ two Costco quilts using folds

I used CamoDeafie82's design in a pinch since I did not time to finish my other underquilt before I leave for my trip this afternoon. It took a little over 3 hours to make and I am pretty happy with it for my first project.

Using two quilts:
    I folded one in half and sewed the edge together, making this quilt 70x28, six panels across (quilt A). The other quilt I folded over two panels on each side and sewed them in place(I am not sure why I did two when folding over one panel would work and give youa wider quilt), making this quilt 70x37, eight panels across (Quilt B). Then I took the one folded in half(A) and layed in on top of the other quilt(B), basically making the center section of the UQ three layers thick. Where I folded over the two outer panels, I sewed up the ends leaving a small opening to run my shock cord through. The center section I left open at both ends so I can insert either some reflectix or my thermarest pad and not have to worry about it shifting as much.

Why did I do it this way? I was in a rush and didnt want to cut up any of my quilts incase a better design comes along. It is heavier than ripping seams and overstuffing a single quilt, but takes a lot less time. All of the stitches I needed to run were along the preexisting stitches it made it very easy to line everything up and keep the chambers in tact. I wanted something that I can use it in the summer but easily add additional insulation if the temps drop down.

Any thoughts on how low of temperatures this design will work??

They are calling for temps in the high 30's tonight and I have my thermometer to report back actual temps and how it works. Stay tuned....

IMG_20151016_083729.jpg Finished quilt

IMG_20151016_083610.jpgTotal size is 68"x38"

IMG_20151016_083754.jpgall of my stitches ran down existing stitches

IMG_20151016_083815.jpgQuilt A folded in half and sew at the outer edge.

IMG_20151016_083637.jpgCenter section 3 layers thick with opening for pad.
    Last edited by RutherfordTheBrave; 10-16-2015 at 08:35.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Looks good. For some reason, I'm not understanding how the dimensions came out this way. The quilt folded in half comes out i right, but throw B isn't adding up for me. If you take a 60 inch wide throw and fold each end in 5 inches, shouldn't it be around 50 inches wide instead of 40?
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    You are right!!! I had to look at it again, and realized that I took two panels on each side and sewed them in... I am not sure why I did it that way, when I could have used just one on each side.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    Looks good. For some reason, I'm not understanding how the dimensions came out this way. The quilt folded in half comes out i right, but throw B isn't adding up for me. If you take a 60 inch wide throw and fold each end in 5 inches, shouldn't it be around 50 inches wide instead of 40?
    But from the pics, I only see one panel on each side folded. Did you double fold them, making them 3 layers on the sides as well?

You couldn't just fold one panel in only bc then u would have your second most outer columns be single layered. It would be one double layered, one single layered, 6 triple layered, one single, and one double

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    I remember, my thought process was to have it doubled up for the entire quilt, so folding over twice provided me with a double layer on my shoulder edge instead of dropping down to a single layer than back up to a double on the outer.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    But from the pics, I only see one panel on each side folded. Did you double fold them, making them 3 layers on the sides as well?

You couldn't just fold one panel in only bc then u would have your second most outer columns be single layered. It would be one double layered, one single layered, 6 triple layered, one single, and one double
    Correct, so the second column in is actually 4 layers thick.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 + WB RR 1.7 Double
    Insulation
    Leaves or JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice looking quilt!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but something is still not adding up for me. I believe you have a 3 layered quilt through and through. I don't think you CAN have any layers of 4 unless another spot has less layers. I even just added the panels to make sure. Consider that you have 120 inches of width, with each panel taking 5 inches. A 3 layered panel is therefore 15 inches and a 4 layer would be 20.
    6 panels of 3 layers gives you 90 inches and 2 of 20 gives you 40, =ing 130. However, 8 x 15 = 120

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    That all being said, I think this is a stellar design.
    I'm doing the opposite right now and finishing the 40x60 single throw with seams ripped.
    I plan on doing something VERY similar with two throws like this, only I am going to sew to together and then offset the folds just an inch give or take, to make differential sizes to the layers and so I don't put the cold spots right on top of one another. 3 layers of say 39, 40, 41 =120 (sure that won't be the actual measure bc loft and down)... But like I said, practically the same 40x70

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    the bottom quilt is 8 panels across, with the outer two panels being doubled up on both sides. the top quilt is 6 panels across with the two outer panels overlaping one column of the lower quilts doubled up panels....

Not sure if that makes sense.
    Starting from one side it looks like this at each panel (Double Layer, Quad Layer,Triple Layer, Triple Layer, Triple Layer, Triple Layer, Quad Layer, Double Layer)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast