Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Asym / WallyWorld GE
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIY cocoon / ZFold

First DIY Underquilt

I started with 1.1 ripstop cut to 48x64". Using a silver Sharpie, I marked a line 3" from the edge all the way around and a line every 6" lengthwise between the two outer lines.

image.jpg

Next, I sewed a 1/2" hem all the way around, and sewed six 2 1/2" strips of no see-um mesh along each of the inner lines for baffles. Then, I folded each corner over about an inch in, diagonally, then folded over again and sewed, creating a 45* angle on each corner.

After cutting another piece of ripstop to the same dimensions, I marked it with the same six lines, 6" apart, and sewed the other edge of each baffle already attached to the other panel of ripstop. Then I sewed across each corner to create a tucked/sealed edge and sewed the edge of three sides to the 3" line on the first panel. Finally, I folded the edge of the first panel up to overlap the seam of the second panel and stitched this twice, creating a channel for the suspension cord. The 45* angle on each corner leaves an opening on each end of these channels to allow the suspension cord to exit.

After stuffing with down from the end left open, I stitched the last end down and sewed the channel along this edge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The suspension is just shock cord run through the channels and cord locks for adjustment.

Hammock
    DIY Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11x11
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & DIY peapo
    Suspension
    WS w/ SL Straps
    Nice work...and welcome

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    That looks great. How long did it you?

Hammock
    HH Asym / WallyWorld GE
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIY cocoon / ZFold
    Quote Originally Posted by pinemountainpetie View Post
    Nice work...and welcome
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ipokebadgers View Post
    That looks great. How long did it you?
    All told, it took me about 6-7 hours. It was my first venture into sewing and I am pleased with the results.

I forgot to mention that it is stuffed with 16oz of down I purchased off of amazon, which claims to be about 650. This makes it a bit heavy, but it's for my wife, who is cold-natured, and still packs smaller and is warmer than the Thermarest Z-lite she was using.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Very nice. I plan on joining the DIY down quilt club sometime, but I haven't gotten the courage yet. You make it sound awfully easy!
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    HH Asym / WallyWorld GE
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIY cocoon / ZFold
    Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    Very nice. I plan on joining the DIY down quilt club sometime, but I haven't gotten the courage yet. You make it sound awfully easy!
    It really wasn't that hard. The most difficult part for me was learning to work with fabric; I've built things from wood and metal since I could walk to my dad's workshop, but something as fluid as fabric was a new experience. Making sure it remains taut so everything lines up is the real key.

Nice one, looks great! Should keep your wife nice and comfy. Good instructions, as well.

I recently completed my first down UQ and have been testing it in the backyard 3-4 nights a week. Supposedly we're getting down to the 30's this weekend, which will be my first real test.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    locolibre & yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    What was the reason for doing vertical baffles rather than horizontal? Less sewing? Transfer of heat down the length of the quilt? I'm curious because I'm starting one soon.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Great job, now make me one! Any idea how much it weighs and what you spent?

Hammock
    HH Asym / WallyWorld GE
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIY cocoon / ZFold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomski View Post
    What was the reason for doing vertical baffles rather than horizontal? Less sewing? Transfer of heat down the length of the quilt? I'm curious because I'm starting one soon.
    Unless I am misunderstanding your question, most of the UQ I've seen use this design where the baffles run parallel to the ridgeline. I think that when i make the next one, i will decrease the width of the baffles to about 3-4 inches rather than the 6 inch. We haven't used this one enough to know if the down will shift to lower areas leaving cold spots at the shoulder and lower legs, but I suppose the narrower baffles will reduce this somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Great job, now make me one! Any idea how much it weighs and what you spent?
    Thank! I'm not sure i'm ready to start taking order just yet.

Not sure about the weight, but it is stuffed with almost 16oz of down that I picked up from Amazon for about $70. I might have saved some weight and put less down, but this was for my wife, who sleeps COLD, so i decided to overstuff this one.

The ripstop, no-see-um, shock cord, cord locks, and Gutermann thread all came from DIYGearSupply.com. I have enough ripstop left to make some snake-skins/double ended stuff sack, no-see-up for several more quilts and Gutermann thread for the foreseeable future. The whole order was about $40 shipped.

Roughly $110 + 6-8 hours labor.

One thing I will add, is that even though I purchased the calendared ripstop, there are pieces of down that escape through the fabric from time to time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast