Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR

suspension components in 7/64 amsteel, 1.8 mm dynaglide and zing-it/lash-it

I weigh just over 200lbs, for safety let's say 215, although most of the time it's considerably less than that. My question is:

1) what components can I get away with being dynaglide or zing-it?

2) Would I be able to safely get away with dynaglide instead of 7/64 amsteel for the main suspension lines coming off the tree huggers, or is that crazy? If I get a 30 degree hang, each line off of the tree huggers will be carrying my full weight, (half my weight, per side, resolved in the vertical direction, times 2 due to angle) and if the angle goes shallower, the load in these components will quickly increase, by a lot!

3) What about a zing-it ridge line? If I again assume a 30 degree hang off the tree straps, the MAXIMUM tension in the ridgeline will be 85% of my weight (sqrt(3)/2), but in practice, it will be considerably less than this because the hammock won't be hanging straight down from where the main suspension coming from the tree straps meets the hammock and ridgeline. (The hammock will provide some inwards tension to relieve the ridgeline.

4) Has anyone tried splicing in the ridgeline section of a continuous, single line suspension system with zing-it/lash-it and having the ends/main suspension 7/64 amsteel? Is this feasible, or is it impossible to bury the amsteel in the zing-it (after a locking brummel)? I suppose you could always use knots instead of splicing. Here is an ascii art diagram of what I mean:

amsteel splice zing-it splice amsteel
    ==========------------------------============
    ridgeline

I'm a gram weenie in training, and am building a new suspension system. I am a good splicer and knot tier (with a background in sailing and seamanship as well as climbing) and am going to be using a mostly hardware-less setup, with my own home-made soft-shackles.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    The only part I can answer with confidence is that zing it is fine for a ridgeline. I seriously doubt I'll ever snap mine - but even if I do, it won't ruin a trip.

I am currently making dynaglide whoopies and am willing to risk it at about 230lbs. Arrowhead sells them commercially (I think he rates them at about 200lb max).

I am wondering if zingit might be strong enough for continuous loops since I think they have a greater breaking strength than a single line.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    In practice, with trees 25 ft. apart (or more) you can't pull your suspension tight enough to give you a suspension angle less than 15° when you get in the hammock. That means that in theory the forces on the suspension can get very big, but in practice it will be just double your weight on the line from the tree. If you have set your structural ridgeline so the hammock hangs at 30° the force on both the hammock rope and the ridgeline will be approximately equal to your body weight.

If the line from the tree is 30° and the hammock line is also at 30° the tension on the ridgeline is pretty close to zero. Despite that, the worst case scenario (15°) above calls for a ridgeline that is just as strong as your hammock line. I use dynaglide for both, but if I make a hammock for someone heavier, I use amsteel for both. The times when I have been forced to use trees that are far apart have sometimes been across hollows or streams where there are rocks underneath the hammock. Accordingly, I never use zing-it for a structural ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Hey, does anyone know if this kevlar rope is spliceable? http://amzn.to/1LxBcrV
    Last edited by aero-hiker; 10-16-2015 at 09:39.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by aero-hiker View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Hey, does anyone know if this kevlar rope is spliceable? http://amzn.to/1LxBcrV
    No, it is not spliceable with the techniques used for hollow core ropes like amsteel blue...."Construction - 16 carrier braid over parallel core"...http://www.spearitco.com/3mm-Kevlar-...-ke30-xxxx.htm

Unless you want to use it for something other then hammocks, I'm not sure why it would be of interest. It is 3mm in diameter as is 1/8" Amsteel Blue, but it's tensile strength is only 900 lb min. compared to Amsteel's 2300 lb min. and ~2.5 times the cost.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 10-16-2015 at 14:59.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    fair point, gmcttr! Thanks for pointing that out!

• + New Posts