DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Camp Shands camporee

This past weekend was our fall BSA camporee. Scottish Highland games was this years theme. So of course I had to wear my sport kilt. My troop took first place in a blind tent pitch competition. Which is funny because two scouts were new, the patrol leader has been around a while, and one is legally blind and uses a hammock to sleep in.
    The second patrol took 2nd in a sack in stack race. Basically a three legged relay race while carrying wood to build a log cabin fire. Props to both groups.

The weather wad fantastic for north Florida. Low of 57 and up to 85 mid day. Bugs were still around but not bad. No clouds in sight and no chance of rain. Rare for Florida.

The Eagle patrol leader hung his eno next to the standard summer camp cabin tent platforms with no tarp, a diy 3/4 UQ, woopie suspension and fro my style bug net.

My blind scout has an unknown hammock with eno straps with a 1/2 diy UQ. Both had no complaints about the weather.
    Another scout hung in a DIY bridge with full zip bug net and a PLUQ. He broke camp and packed up before I could snap a picture. Took like 1 min lol.

My Assistant Scoutmaster hung her DIY bridge with Dutch hardware full bugnet and Costco TQ and UQ.

I got to try my DIY Bridge Hammock with hiking poles as the spreader bars this weekend. That worked great. It's a BIC pattern bridge with 1/4 bug net whoopies and PLUQ for this trip.

We all slept warm and had no gear problems at all. The boys liked cowboy camping hammock style. With no cloud cover I stared at the stars till I passed out. Witch was not to long I a proud to say. Lol. We had a great weekend for learning skills and making friendships that will last a lifetime.
    Last edited by Life Scout; 10-18-2015 at 21:16.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Ahh. Those are the memories to talk about for years to come.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. When I was a Scout in Orlando we did a lot of camping in the Ocala NF. Wish we had hammocks back then.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. When I was a Scout in Orlando we did a lot of camping in the Ocala NF. Wish we had hammocks back then.
    I was with Troop 629 in Fern Park early/mid 80's. Did my first 50 miler in the ONF. Spent more than a few summers at LaNoChee.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Troop 36 in the early 70's. I got my hiking merit badge walking those sandy forest roads and trails. We moved to PA. and I joined troop 728 and learned to love the mountains and snow camping. Good times.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

• + New Posts