Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

First time in the boonies with my hammock (Boundary Waters)

First night I found what looked like a decent spot about 25 yards from the tents in my group. Have to admit I was fairly nervous. Felt very vulnerable hanging in the woods myself. Second night I hung two feet from the shore, it was unique, though I didn't sleep well because the sound of the water on the shore is not constant, it changes with the wind. Third night I was bold and ditched the tarp all together, I don't have a pick of it, but slept under the stars and it was great. Took a few hours to go to sleep, but slept soundly when I did fall asleep. Surprisingly enough I felt more secure without the tarp. The most notable thing about hammock camping was that my three friends in the tents all woke up stiff and sore. Though I might not have slept real well all three nights, it felt great on my body. You sure know it in a hurry if the under quilt moves on you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DHThunderbird 72
    Tarp
    Green Monster
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks great!

There's something to be said about the security that comes from being closer to others I agree in that environment.
    But for me being further away from them is great because it's QUIET.
    Can hear the forest and the trees even.

Where were you at btw?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Entry point 14 to 16 in Ely. After listening to the snoring I totally agree with the distance.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    On "Ditch the tarp", I'd not advise that. Hang the tarp between trees above you, but you don't have to deploy it. Have the four stakes by your shoes. If the tarp is laying on the ground when you start feeling rain.......you got a problem. If it is in say Mountain Goat's mesh snake skins, above your hammock, ready to yank back the skins, grab the stakes....you won't be near as wet.

Looks like a nice hang in those photos.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Camping King Hammock Dual layer
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    +1 on the snake skins, even if it a beautiful night, I've been woke up in the morning by some light rain. And I was grateful that I had the tarp setup in the skins! I feel way better in the morning than my friends who sleeps in tent. Still trying to convince them to switch to hammocks
    Bruno
    Owner of Camping King Hammock.
    Based out of Montreal Quebec.
    Canadian distributor of Duchtware's BLING!
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/campingking.ca
    Website: www.campingking.ca (full website is still in construction)

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Winter Haven XL
    Insulation
    Yeti/UGQ topquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I should invest in some snake skins for the tarp, it takes me twice as long to set it up as the hammock and it would be nice to have it in place without actually using it like you guys stated. It was really cool sleeping in the open though.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    May 2014, I slept out three nights with the tarp suspended, but in the skins. It still feels "cowboy" as the tarp is just rolled up in the skins suspended above you. Mountain goat makes a great mesh skin, and she is fast on making and shipping! Last time I ordered on a Monday, and they showed up on Friday....and she sews them.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Looks like a great spot by the shore. Let those other fellers have their tents.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Firecraft View Post
    First night I found what looked like a decent spot about 25 yards from the tents in my group. Have to admit I was fairly nervous. Felt very vulnerable hanging in the woods myself. Second night I hung two feet from the shore, it was unique, though I didn't sleep well because the sound of the water on the shore is not constant, it changes with the wind. Third night I was bold and ditched the tarp all together, I don't have a pick of it, but slept under the stars and it was great. Took a few hours to go to sleep, but slept soundly when I did fall asleep. Surprisingly enough I felt more secure without the tarp. The most notable thing about hammock camping was that my three friends in the tents all woke up stiff and sore. Though I might not have slept real well all three nights, it felt great on my body. You sure know it in a hurry if the under quilt moves on you.
    No matter how long I actually sleep my body usually feels pretty good the next morning. Keep moving your spot away from the group and eventually you will challenge yourself to do a solo over nighter.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    On "Ditch the tarp", I'd not advise that. Hang the tarp between trees above you, but you don't have to deploy it. Have the four stakes by your shoes. If the tarp is laying on the ground when you start feeling rain.......you got a problem. If it is in say Mountain Goat's mesh snake skins, above your hammock, ready to yank back the skins, grab the stakes....you won't be near as wet.

Looks like a nice hang in those photos.
    I always have my tarp rolled up above me in it's skins. I don't deploy the tarp unless I think it will rain. I have gone so far as to stake it out then roll it back up. I use fleaz on my stakes so it is very fast to put up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Looks like a great spot by the shore. Let those other fellers have their tents.
    My hiking buddy is a ground dweller and he won't change. Just makes more room for you to find a great hang spot that they cannot get their tent into.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammocks are real good for the Spirited Introvert. Good to be away from snoring and gas attacks from others.
    Glad to hear your taking to it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast