Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    WB CldB/OES McCat
    Insulation
    MAMW tq/WB uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie

Bridge hammock stability when using an inflatable pad?

Just went for an overnight and used a Neo-Air mattress with a bridge hammock. My intention would be to use a pad in place of one of my UQ's in the warmer weather. Temperature went down into low 50's so temperature was relatively warm and the sleeping pad worked fine in regards to keeping me warm underneath. I inflated it about 2/3 full and found the hammock kind of “tippy” right out of the gate. I let out enough air so that it was about ˝ inflated, that it was better but still somewhat unstable. However I slept the rest of the night like that. I will do some more experimenting this fall, but wondered if anyone had experienced their bridge hammock being a little unstable with a sleeping pad in general. Could be that it is a inflatable pad (such as a Neo-Air) will be an issue regardless of inflation or maybe I need to continue to let more air out and it will work? I have an older self inflating thermarest that I can try, but backpacking with that it not an option (size and weight).

Any opinions or feedback would be appreciated.

Tom

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I am using a 30" wide Klymit pad in my Ridgerunner. I have also shortened the suspension to match the length of the spreader bars. I have not noticed any change in stability, although, in theory, both should have had an effect. Perhaps I am hanging at more of an angle than you are so the stability is not as effected.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I used an xtherm with a Ridgerunner last night. If you are using the same hammock try leaving out the middle section of the head spreader bar. It will stabilize everything. Hanging at a slightly steeper angle will also help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    WB CldB/OES McCat
    Insulation
    MAMW tq/WB uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Yes, it is a Ridgerunner and glad to hear you have had success with the xtherm. I will try both removing the middle section of the header bar and also increasing the hang angle. Thanks to both of you guys for the feedback.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    No problem. The first time I tried it, I left the middle section of the spreader bar in and I sat (for my taste) way too high in the hammock and it had a "recliner" feel to it. Wasn't a fan of that as my back likes a really flat lay. It's my preferred setup, but the simplicity and ease of using my DIY Climashield UQ keeps the pad at home most trips.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just got my wife a WBRR and she prefers the lay and feel with my XTherm pad in it. She doesn't feel as squished. She still thinks the middle part comes inward on her but that I assume is the deisign. I guess the pad gives the bridge a "forced" width rather than the body doing it. That said I have used the pad and reflectix in my hammock down to 26* with warm success and hope she sees the same result.
    Question, taking the middle pc out of the spreader bar doesn't that make the hammock squeeze more? Sounds like we need to hang it up in the bedroom and do some experiments on different configurations.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I was using a thick downmat with my RR and yes, I experienced tippiness with that setup, as well as my knees going right into the rigid sides while sleeping on my side. Don't have a RR anymore.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk i View Post
    Question, taking the middle pc out of the spreader bar doesn't that make the hammock squeeze more?
    Since the Xtherm adds a few inches of height, it evens out any shoulder squeeze you might get from removing the middle spreader bar. It's actually quite roomier IMO.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    WB CldB/OES McCat
    Insulation
    MAMW tq/WB uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    I did some experimenting in the cellar and first increased my hang angle. That was definitely better than what I experienced out in the field with the same Neo Air pad. Then I took a torso length rectangular pad (Neo Air 25" wide) and that was even better as it basically consumes the width of the RR (it was inflated almost totally). I will keep the spreader bar option "in my back pocket" and do all this same experiment when I go out in a couple of weeks.

Tom

• + New Posts