Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Looking for advice for a winter hammock

I have a Hammeck Netty argon 1.6 SL which is a fantastic hammock. Im sure I could use it for winter hanging with no problem. But im thinking of picking up something else specifically for winter use.
    First off, im loving argon so Id like something similar in feel.
    Also an overcover.
    What else would make it more "winter worthy"? Double layer? Thicker?
    Looking for suggestions.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    This is my solution. Just made one for another HF member out of Hexon. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ulated-Hammock

Made this overcover as well. Really like it. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ulated-Hammock

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    IMO it's the top and underquilt along with a tarp with doors & sides that reach the ground that make your hammock winterized.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Here is something you may be able to add to your existing hammock

winter sock by dutchware
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Or get a Hammeck Envy
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    The warbonnet blackbird XLC comes with an over cover that you can zip in. Put that with an underquilt protector and you are good to go. Some people use molly mac's canvas pod for really cold temps.
    http://www.mollymacgear.com/hammock-socks/
    If you want all the insulation already on board you can use an insulhammock.
    http://camping-hammock.us

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey guys,
    Thnx for the suggestions. Very cool Clark5! That's amazing work right there.
    I looked at the Envy, WBBB XLC, Dream Dangerbird, and more. I had a Clark NX-250 and didn't like it. Too narrow for my liking. Had a WBBB and couldn't get used to it cuz I like to lay head right, feet left. Plus, even though most love the shelf, I felt that it was just more material in my face. These are all great products....don't get me wrong.
    I think it comes down to what JDR724 said. Its about the insulation and tarp. Knocking down the wind is key and of course quilts are necessary for very cold temps. I already have a Winter Haven tarp made by Jared at SLD. Its great for keeping out the elements.
    I think where I got disappointed last year with winter hanging was my UQ. I used a JRB ORM with homemade suspension and kept getting cold spots. Now I love my JRB quilts, but I realized that the ORM is much better served as a TQ. So I recently ordered a MW4 from them which is a dedicated UQ. That along with doubling up on my TQs, wearing proper clothing, and a hot water bottle should do the trick.
    But....as Im a very thorough person...(almost OCD)....that's what brought me to the hammock itself. I don't want any "weak links". After looking around though, I think the only thing that would make a hammock more "4 season" would be an overcover. Correct? I wouldn't need DL as I don't use a pad....and I don't think it matters how heavy the material it is.
    So after looking at the socks, I got an idea. Im sure its not original by any means, but it just popped in my head. Ill take my woobie and drape it over the RL and tie it off on the ends so it doesn't slide....therefore acting as an overcover. As I said, not genius....but not bad either. Only drawback is that its not integrated and adds weight/bulk to carry. At this point though, Im generally doing car camping in winter with very modest hikes....maybe 3-4 miles. If that changes, so will my plan.
    So...I think Ill just stick with what I have and work with it. Thnx for the suggestions and sorry for the long post. But its easier for me to figure out a plan if I talk it out.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've been using a sock with my various hammocks. This winter I'll try the Envy-S. I like the ability to vent it just over my head. I also use, or at least keep with me, a balaclava.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I've been using a sock with my various hammocks. This winter I'll try the Envy-S. I like the ability to vent it just over my head. I also use, or at least keep with me, a balaclava.
    I got my Envy-S this summer so I've only got a couple cool nights in it. This past weekend, my thermometer outside of my hammock showed 34 F at 4 am. With the top cover fully closed, my thermometer inside my hammock read 49. I was very comfortable, but I could feel the humidity inside my hammock.

So, as an experiment, I fully opened the TC (takes 10 seconds), and stuffed it into its little RL stuff sack. In 30 minutes, the internal thermometer read 42. I was still OK, but my face was a little cold, so I zipped up the TC so there was only a small opening on one side near my waist. That made me feel really comfortable and vented the humidity. The internal temp went right back up, the humidity stayed away for the next 3 hours, and my face was warm. Around 7, I moved the opening closer to my face, just to see if it made a difference. It did. My ever handsomer face got chilly again, and we can't have that.

Man oh man, that Envy-S TC is something special. I love love love that I can play with that thing without sitting up, without reaching very far, and, most importantly, without having to fly up high into the end of the hammock to make a midnight adjustment. Best of the many, many hammocks I've owned.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    IMO unless you want to go with another Hammock just cause there is no reason to get another one.
    Your right to focus heavy on the insulation...spending the big bucks on down quilts is a very very worthy investment.
    Your good with the tarp
    And as for a sock ...any fibrous blanket will work well over the ridge line....just realize that it will soak up moisture...but better it than your quilts. For really cold into the twenties and lower consider using a Cotton Canvas sock like the Molly Mac one or a canvas painters tarp works very well slung over the ridge line and draped to the ground to keep the snow dust and wind further at bay. Nylon materials as socks will rain with moisture as temps fall in my world.

Do not try to over think things BUT do test test test test test and test some more and soon you'll figure out your weak links that you need to adjust on....key is you have to figure that out by just doing and not so much by what is said here.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast