Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Garden of the Gods, Il, 9-11 Oct 2015

I'm not great with Trip reports but I'll put up a short one; perhaps the other guys will add to it. It was a great weekend to hike; refreshing days and cool nights. We car camped at Pharoah camp ground in the Garden of the God's recreation area on night one. Trixie's Dad and Andy had steaks cooked over an open fire. Cold the first night, had to get down to 50. The objective was to meet new friends and to visit a place some hadn't been to in many years; for me it was the first time so we met our objectives! Saturday we started with a short hike to Indian Point; beautiful look out; then we headed back to check out the Observation trail; it's paved with stones and most of the state turned out to see the beginning of the fall colors on a perfectly sunny and cool Saturday. Felt like I was at a zoo. It's worth it despite the people but I think some thought us odd with our packs and trekking poles. Next we headed north on trail 108E; it was nice and we met some nice people and dogs along the way. The creek we headed to was dry. In fact we never found any water; only the water pump in the camp ground. Started out Saturday morning with 3 liters and then 20 oz on my pack strap. Finished the hike with most of the 20oz left.

Trixie's dad held a spot for us while Any and I scouted back to Indian Point to see if we could find a spot to camp that night with a view. We ended up doing the loop known as 108G. Can't be more than 1.8 or 2 miles but it's got some great views and part of the trail follows the base of a bluff with huge cracks and crevices that you can hike up, into, and around inside. Found three caves. After finishing the loop and exploring we headed back to Andy and were supprised to find he'd hiked from where he was to meet us at the trail head; tough hike but perfect timing. Once we were teamed up we hiked back to our "man cave" and hung in various places just off trail. Andy was determined to have a ledge view and he managed it. I hung on the side of the bluff; had a great view. Heard small animals scurrying around under the rock wall overhangs. We made a fire in the mouth of the cave in an established fire pit. That night we didn't deploy the tarps and the stars were simply amazing. I doubt if it got below 60 on night two. Perfect sleeping weather. The hike out was enjoyable and uneventful.

All in all it was a great place. You could do a lot of exploring on the River to River trail that runs through that area. I think it would be a fantastic place for winter camping when the crowds have thinned out. If you're in the area, I think watching the sunrise or sunset from the Observation Trail would be amazing.

Met two new friends and I think everyone had a good time; it was fun having one night of car camping combined with one night by the cave. Certainly recommend this place to anyone who can make it there!

GideonIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0112.jpgIMG_0042.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0015.jpg
    Last edited by Gideon; 10-11-2015 at 17:26.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Garden of the Gods; additional photos

Hammock
    camo claytor
    Images
    Oh yea bum me out some more with the awesome pics....LOL...hope you guys had a blast

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    It was wonderful; I'd like to go back in the winter time when the leaves are off and there are fewer people. I think it'll be awsome and a chance to explore the river to river trails that run along the southern boundries of the recreation area. On R-t-R trail 001, west of the main area, it looks like there are some really great overlooks. That's the plan for next time!
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 10-11-2015 at 18:35.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great pics Gideon . Sounds like you guys had great weather and a good time .

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

Garden of the Gods Pics

Was a great time, and couldn't have asked for two better guys to hang with. The volume of rocky crags and crevices to explore is huge. Here are some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Nice area to explore, Gideon...wish I lived nearby.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ/USGI Bag
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    There was kind of "water," but it was a nasty, algae covered pond where the loop intersects itself at 108G. Looks like it wouldn't dry up, though. There is a pump well at the Pharaoh campsite but they may very well shut it off in the colder months.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Yup, like Andy said there was wonderful water in that pond!!

Gideon

• + New Posts