Hammock
    Mayan matrimonial

Retired almost in paradise

Former yacht and small commercial craft captain now retired in western Panama about a 45 minute drive from the Costa Rican border. In the five years I've lived here it's always been in fully-furnished houses, but now I have to move and I found a small house in a new development near where I've been living, It's a 2 bed 1 bath place for, get this, $120/month! But it's unfurnished. In going through all the stuff that's been stored in the back room for the last four years I ran across my forgotten Mayan matrimonial hammock. Got me to thinking, rather than spend several hundred dollars for a regular mattress/box spring set up, why don't I do what millions of people do world-wide and sleep in my hammock? Don't want to chance hammering hooks into the cement block walls so I'm looking at building a turtledog stand. Wish me luck.

I have a brother that's heavily involved in camping. One of his sons through-hiked the AT and my brother hiked from Georgia into Pennsylvania before his aging knees forced him home. I asked him if he'd ever used a hammock in his hikes and he said no. He called them bear piñatas. Me, I don't like hiking around in the woods, but I do love boats. Back in '92 I bought a lovely 26-foot sailboat and single-handed it from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Mexico, Belize and the Rio Dulce in Guatemala and back. The great thing about that, as opposed to hiking, was that I was "home" every night. But there were lots of nights anchored out at an island in the second longest barrier reef in the world where I slung a hammock between the mast and the forestay, cranked up the rock & roll on the tunes machine and watched the free light show in the heavens.

The trip in the sailboat sounds awesome. I would so like to do something like that.
    Except my poor wife gets sick just looking at a swing set.

Welcome to the forum. cheers

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

sounds like you found a fine place to retire
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    You live in a beautiful part of the world. I spent a little time (way too little) down there. Friendly people, delicious food, and awesome scenery. Welcome to the site. Please post some pics from when you are out and about.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Sounds like true paradise. My youngest daughter is a marine biologist working in Bocas del Toro, Panama. My wife and I are headed down there next month, flying through Costa Rica. Your turtle dog stand idea sounds like a winner. With no furniture it is the perfect time to give a try. Good luck and enjoy paradise. Let us know how it works out.

Images
    Welcome oldsalt,
    Not a sailboat anchored out at an island in the second longest barrier reef in the world but a houseboat anchored at lake powell UT.

I'm retired this was a bucket list trip for me.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632963211513

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    sounds great used to live on Utila in the bay islands figure you must have been off Belize love that part of the world for sure has its fun moments
    being from Maui I had more in common with islanders down there then most here on the mainland where I live now have fun what ever you do

worked on mostly sail cats about 55 feet also some power boats largest was 52 tons all dive boats basically miss that lifestyle

• + New Posts