Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

experiences with critters and crawling things

I've only been hangin' for 2 years. So, as a relative newbie to the whole thing I was wondering if anyone has ever had wild life visitors in their hammock? Last year I went to a fav camp ground and strung up the hammock (ENO with a home made tarp at the time) and went to walk some trails. I came back to find one of the trees had ants and they were using the straps as a bridge to explore my hammock. No food or anything in there so i guess they were just curious. This summer i took my Amok 3.0 out strung it up and went for a walk around the camp grounds. When i came back I found a couple squirrels playing all around on the hammock. I had the bug net up so they didn't get inside thankfully. Anyone else have curious critters or crawling things check out their hammocks?
    Last edited by JmBoh; 10-07-2015 at 14:27.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've never had anymore more than spiders and mosquitoes.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Not my story but....there's a buffalo in my hammock!
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Nothing unusual in my hammock. I usually always have my bug net or winter cover on, so no easy access to mine
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I only use a permethrin-treated bugnet for maybe three months out of the year - never had anything in my hammock. If it's cold enough to go without a bugnet, then it's usually too cold for spiders as well. My son was napping in his hammock and a squirrel got in, that was pretty funny! I was watching the squirrel bounce around and my son never moved; just waited for the squirrel to find his way out.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    I got woke up about 2 a.m. when a bird got under my tarp. He was only under there for a couple seconds but it was very startling being woke up by his wings flapping against my tarp.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    2 stories.

Early on in my scout leader/cubscout trips. I let my son take snacks to a camping trip at the council camp. Well we were out doing scout stuff and when we got back I noticed his pack was moved and at an odd angle. When I lifted it I could see a squirrel had chewed thru a couple of layers of the pack. Good thing about osprey's all mighty guarantee, they repaired it for free.

Same camp, not sure if it was the same trip or another. I was laying in bed cooling off and reading on my tablet. Out of the corner of my eye I see something moving. Just for a reference I use a bugnet ALL year for this reason and many others. A spider that was about 4 inches long walked from my head towards my feet. So my first thoughts were to flick it off. It flicked from the net to the tarp and back to the net. And didnt move, so I flicked it again. Same result. After the third time, I then thought I should take a pic. By the time I got the camera out it was gone. My wife says, why didnt you open the hammock and go looking for it. The whole purpose of the net is to keep those things on the outside. Open it up and when I am not looking it would crawl in. I am not one to cringe at anything. I am an animal control officer and have been in places, seen things and smelled things very few people could handle... when I am awake. I am a mouth breather and sleep with my mouth open. I also have issues with believing dreams are real as I am waking up. Bugnets are not for removing.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Last year was drifting off and could hear something approaching through the woods. It was autumn and the leaves were thick.

Crunch. Crunch. Slowly. Crunch. Was convinced it was a deer. Then a fox. Then wolf and finally a bear. A grizzly bear.

Then it sped up and ran right under me.

I was freaked out to say the least.

Next morning I was brewing up some hot cocoa. Heard the noise again. Look... and it was a mouse. LOL

I did have something 'brush' under me one evening. I'm guessing it was a raccoon. I did my best 14 year old girl scream and it ran off.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    Last year was drifting off and could hear something approaching through the woods. It was autumn and the leaves were thick.

Crunch. Crunch. Slowly. Crunch. Was convinced it was a deer. Then a fox. Then wolf and finally a bear. A grizzly bear.

Then it sped up and ran right under me.

I was freaked out to say the least.

Next morning I was brewing up some hot cocoa. Heard the noise again. Look... and it was a mouse. LOL

I did have something 'brush' under me one evening. I'm guessing it was a raccoon. I did my best 14 year old girl scream and it ran off.
    Not sure if Raccoons went under my hubby's hammock or what, but I heard all this noise on the matt he has under his hammock, then I heard him yell out. I asked if he was ok, I couldn't see him, and he didn't answer. So I asked again. he said he was ok, but his hammock wasn't. He told me something woke him up, he didn't know where he was, and felt like something was coming down over him, so he kicked his way out of the hammock, right through his bugnet. After he got up, he discovered raccoons in camp. I think a few may have gone under him and awakened him.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    All I have had was a field mouse under the tarp with my girlfriend and I, it was so loud in the leaves just inches beneath us, she was bothered and I laughed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast