Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aero-hiker View Post
    I worry about the point where your SLS (red) exits the WhooCR burry. If the lines were parallel, it wouldn't bother me, but since they diverge, individual strands of the WhooCR Dyneema are getting stressed much more than the other ones and this stress concentration is a likely point of failure. (The burry exit is a three way junction.)
    Here, you mean?

If you think about it, the part coming out of the bury and going horizontally (the ridgeline), is not under and great load. In fact if you line going to the tree is 30° and your hammock sag is also 30°, then the load on the ridgeline will be zero. In that case, all of the load will be going straight down the line to the hammock.
    Of course, if you pull your tree lines bang tight, with an angle significantly lower than the hammock sag, then yes, that 3-way pull could be an issue.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Fair :-) if that loop (whoopie sling portion) stayed that small you could just put the soft shackle through the loop AND over the ridge line, but that defeats the purpose of the adjustability of the whoopie

Hello Gadget,
    I have a DD Jungle Hammock I bought a few years ago and this year I finally have an opportunity to use it more. My focus has been to streamline the setup so the hang is as consistent as possible each and every time. I came across your videos on the Whoo-CR and the SLS and started to make my own per your instructions. I have run into a bit of a problem: I am using the 7/64 Amsteel for both the constrictor and the SLS and I am having trouble fitting both diameters through the Whoopi constrictor section (11"). I was concerned about this ahead of time but was hoping the Amsteel would expand large enough to accommodate the two runs. I have literally spent hours trying to fish both through; one before the other, one after the other, both at the same time, from different directions, etc... but nothing seems to work. I did think of using a smaller diameter for the SLS but it obviously needs to have the strength to hold me in the hammock plus a safety factor so I wasn't eager to swap that part just yet. I haven't researched any alternatives but wanted to see what your thoughts were before I went that route. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If trying to pull two cords through a sheath cord: try and pull one cord through and then cheat by splicing some zingit into first buried cord--then pull the zingit through by hitchhiking with larger cord. Now you have two cords buried--one full size and one small--disconnect the two inner cords and attach your second full size cord to zingit (possibly by splicing) then use zingit to pull second larger cord through bury.
    Good luck
    I've never tried this--
    Phantom guessing again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And I watched SargentRock in one of his splicing videos and possibly someone else too--spyderline was being spliced and it was a real tight squeeze--he tapped the line with a rubber mallet to help ease the inner bury through outer or sheath cord.
    So besides keeping the sheath scrunched up so it will be as loose inside as possible--they tap the outer cord at the bind or bulge with rubber mallet to help move splice through to its conclusion.
    Again good luck and maybe Gadget has some real life insight to solving this--since he has done it.
    One time I spliced a really big fat spyderline inside some 1/8 amsteel--the inside spyderline was much larger diameter than outside 1/8 amsteel.
    This was to see if I could do it--and I did--and to see how it would work for UCR. Well technically, it worked and held really well, it was hard to slide the UCR for adjustments but the holding power was phenomenal. I abandoned this project because the fat spyderline I was using would have defeated purpose of UCR--which is to be lightweight and compact.
    Out of a thousand ideas--I'm lucky if even one idea flys. But everything we have today was once just an idea.

Images
    Sorry, I'm not ignoring you here. I'm just waiting for a friend to bring my DD hammock back, so that I can do a video on it.
    I have changed to a simpler system now. That was a great system to experiment with, enabling lots of different hangles, but too many variables for a simple hang once you are dialed in.
    I take it you watched my video on how the thread it? It's not Amsteel I am using, but another brand of 2.5mm Dyneema. But I do have some 7/64" Amsteel from Dutch, so perhaps I'll do another with that to demonstrate.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Oops, Phantom being lazy, after watching your video and pictographs, I see better now.
    Thanks Gadget

After reading so much great content on here I set out to design my SLS set up. My design requirements were:
    1) An approach that actually pulled my tarp TIGHTER when I got into my hammock - I was so sick of floppy tarp syndrome

2) I wanted to be able to hang between trees up to 25' apart reliably

What I've finally settled on is:
    1) an amsteel UCR ridgeline between my hammock carabiners to set my sag

2) 1" poly tree straps with a descender ring figure-8'd into the middle and long enough tails to go around an average tree 2x to spread the pressure (a tree has to be bigger than about 5' around for me to have to only tie it in the back).

3) about 65-70' of 1/8" amsteel with fixed eye that attaches at one end of the hammock and goes up to the near tree, across to the far tree as a tarp Ridgeline and then back to the other sidebof the hammock where I have a UCR tail for the other side of the hammock

4) two of the smallest s-biners on prussiks for my top ridgeline just to hold my tarp (Chill Gorilla Fortress) where I want it

I keep my tarp just a bit loose when I put it up and when i get into my hammock it pulls everything nice and tight instead of creating sag. The long rope with UCR is the best yet for accommodating the longest reach possible and right now I'm finding my only limiting factor is the stretch (or whatever you want to call it for amsteel, but that first night always drops me a bit) from the distance, but I always string my line straight across (no load) and usually wake up at about 30* on the ropes. Eventually ill probably shorten the extra line to just what is practical for a head-height hang to not wind up on the ground in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123