Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    At full length around 30 ft, how much sag and distance to the ground do you get in the hammock when you're in it?
    The trees today were 22' apart, which gave me 2 - 3' spare at each end (given a 25 -30 degree suspension angle). The tree straps were pretty much as high as I could reach. If I needed to go higher I could have pushed them up with a hiking pole.

I've tried the long line with alpine butterfly loops, but could not get the anchor ends high enough on trees in camping instances to keep my rear end off the ground.
    Well, plant your trees closer together! LOL

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Very creative idea Gadget, you are definitely an “outside the box thinker”.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    GadgetUK437. The reason I was asking about two cords both going through the same bury--and if while under load if two cords were being pulled in opposite directions--is that recently(10 years or less) a Mr. Dahm presented his new knot to International Guild of Knottyers. Mr. Dahm called his new knot a simple hitch a la Gleipnir. His knot has a two ends of a cord passing through one or more twisted loops. Some variations of his new knot have amazing holding power. I think some of it is because the same cord enters the loops and pass each other in opposite directions. When pulled from both ends the cord ends are trying to pass one another in opposite directions making increased friction resistance in their traffic jam on a narrow street. I want to see a video of your new suspension. And I still wonder if the UCR and whoopie are pulled in opposite directions inside bury. And if not I wonder if there is a way to flip your new suspension so that the two inside cords are being pulled in opposite direction inside bury when bearing weight. I think Mr. Dahm is British. Bravo to you and your new suspension.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Very creative idea Gadget, you are definitely an “outside the box thinker”.
    There's a box??
    LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I still wonder if the UCR and whoopie are pulled in opposite directions inside bury. And if not I wonder if there is a way to flip your new suspension so that the two inside cords are being pulled in opposite direction inside bury when bearing weight.
    Well, thinking about it, the two lines inside the bury ARE pulling in different directions!
    When the hammock is loaded, the SLS will be trying to pull through the WhooCR sheath (I guess I get naming rights?) towards the tree, and the buried part of the adustable loop line is trying to pull through it towards the hammock. The sheath of the WhooCR is the other part of the loop, and that is pulling towards the hammock.
    (I think illustrations may be required)

Images
    Perhaps a labelled diagram of the Whoo-CR might help;

First I make a normal whoopie sling, but with an abnormally long fixed tail of 18" (to make the UCR constrictor later), the constrictor length of the whoopie is 11".
    The adjustable loop of the whoopie is as long as you want it, I made mine 18".

Onece the whoopie is made, put your burying tool down the fixed tail (leaving 9" of tail to make the prussik) AND the whoopie constrictor, emerging at the same place as the whoopie does. Make sure the tool does not snag the previously buried line, slide the buried whoopie line up and down as you go, to help things along.
    Attach the SLS line to the burying tool, and pull it back through the whole bury, it takes a bit of wiggling to get the SLS through the already occupied bury, easier if you taper the SLS end you are pulling through and keep the constrictor sheath well bunched up.

Hammock
    DIY 10ft dbl layer 1.1RS
    Tarp
    Hennesey 12x10 hex
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great new method GadgetUK437! Very interesting idea! Thanks for the videos and diagram brother!
    “A taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper” - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Suspension
    DIY UL UCR
    Cool idea, GadgetUK437!

It's a good thing you're making your WhooCRs out of Amsteel/2.5mm dyneema, because I worry about the point where your SLS (red) exits the WhooCR burry. If the lines were parallel, it wouldn't bother me, but since they diverge, individual strands of the WhooCR Dyneema are getting stressed much more than the other ones and this stress concentration is a likely point of failure. (The burry exit is a three way junction.) Hopefully with 7/64 Amsteel (and you look a tad bit lighter than my 210 lbs/15 stone mass) you won't run into any trouble, but try to hang somewhere that won't impale you if the suspension fails!

I've been very attracted to the use of UCRs and spliced in lines to make some sort of SLS-like system. My current thinking is to have a structural ridge line made of zing-it in the center (perhaps adjustable but probably fixed length) which is then spliced into DynaGlide (DG) for the end pieces, which act as UCRs. Then the end section/UCR will have an additional short line spliced on with a small eye splice. The splice will be made around a very small stainless descender ring, which the RL also runs through. These descender rings will be where I soft shackle the gathered end hammock. Their purpose is to ensure that I minimize the wear when the soft shackle is clipped to a transverse line, and to ensure that the short line with the eye splice attaching to the hammock stays nearly parallel with the with the other lines, so as to reduce the stress on any locked brummels or bury exits. I have an order in with Dutch, so in a week or two I should be able to post some photographs if anyone is interested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast