Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

BWCA: Poplar to Winchell loop -with a few pics

Spent all of last week in the BWCA. It was the first big trip in my hammock. It performed just as I expected. Flawless. My trip partner was secretly envious of my set-up....after ribbing me for the last year for doing something so silly as buying a hammock.
    We started from Rockwood Outfitter on Poplar lake and made our way down to entry #47. Our route took us through Lizz, Caribou, Horseshoe, and finally to Gaskin lake on our first day. The wind was a big presence. Finding a good spot to hang at that site was tricky, but I got creative and made it work. We brought a couple of 10 oz. ribeyes for dinner. We ate REAL well.
    On day 2 we set out mid-morning and made the portage into Winchell lake and paddled against a stiff wind. We found a nice East facing site on the West end of Winchell that provided a much needed break from the wind. This site was an improvement over the night before, but still found it not ideal for my hammock. There were a plethora of trees, but either they were too close, or the more common issue: there would always be a pest of a tree just to one side of the other which made deploying the tarp frustrating. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful site and was one of our favorites on the trip. Dinner was some home dehydrated spaghetti, meat sauce, garlic fry bread, and a small box of wine. Delizioso!
    Day 3 sent us North into Omega lake and then East into Henson lake. The wind.never.stops. blowing. But, the sun was shining and it was gorgeous. Hard to complain when surrounded by all that beauty. We arrived to our site early in the afternoon. A slip of a hand left us with just one fishing pole, so that part of the trip has now changed drastically. We roll with the punches and trudge on. Someone (me) forgot one of our trail meals back in the pickup, so we ate a pack of au gratin potatoes, toasted bagels that we turned into garlic toast, and summer sausage. The wind finally dies down, but the cold rolls in. No mind, my Hammock Gear incubator 0 does it’s job effortlessly. It got down to 37°. I got hot at times; My ground-dwelling trip partner, not so much.
    Day 4 kept us moving easterly as we moved through Henson into Pillsbery and then into Allen lake. We sailed right to the eastern end and set up camp by 1 p.m. This was my favorite site of the trip. A little smaller than other sites, but a perfect hang spot to look out over the lake. I propped my tarp up into porch mode and relaxed the afternoon away. Dinner presented a challenge as we realized our reserve pan oil was in the truck with the missing trail meal. DOH! We ate dehydrated hash browns. We doctored them up pretty well with some seasoning and followed them with dehydrated apple crisp. Overnight temp dipped down to 33°.
    Day 5 Continued East into Horseshoe lake and North into Caribou. The portages the whole trip were relatively easy with nothing noteworthy popping up. Today’s route took us back through portages we had already conquered on our way in. We spent the day checking out all the sites on Caribou. Clouds were moving in and with the wind still blowing hard we wanted to make sure we had good protection. Many sites along our travel were positioned out on points with wide open visibility. Great if the weather is calm, but leaves you totally exposed in not so nice weather. We ended up settling on the site on the Northeast corner of Caribou and hunkered down. Just as I got the last of my gear out of the back sun started beating on my back. I look up and the clouds were gone. I was ready for the worst, but glad I didn’t have to break out the Frogg Toggs. Dinner was Packit gourmet Texas State Fair Chili. Man-o-Man! That stuff is great! The temp while we were cooking dinner dropped suddenly. It was 40 degrees while the sun was still out. I predicted an overnight low of 27, but it leveled off at 31°. The ground dweller cussed as he entered his tent. I smiled and laid back into the hammock, pulled up my top cover and was lulled to sleep by a howling wolf. A wonderful way to cap a trip. A true gift from Mother Nature.

Here are a few photo’s; I am going to attempt to splice together some video in the coming weeks:

map.jpg

Tight hang on Gaskin Lake
    20150927_141616.jpg

2QZQ UQP saved the day with all of the wind we faced!
    20150930_085349.jpg

Spaghetti , aglio pane fritto , vino
    20150928_174114.jpg

Fog greated us every morning
    20151002_073555.jpg

Your humble author
    20151001_170446.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6oz HyperD XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HexFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MarlnSpke
    Nice! That is some mighty fine trail eaten! What tarp is that you're using?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WBO Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Straps / whoopies
    Images
    Nice trip report! Beautiful area up there. I have camped around that area myself! Used Rockwood Outfitter too....Very nice people!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
    Nice! That is some mighty fine trail eaten! What tarp is that you're using?
    It was stick to your ribs type of eatin'! My tarp is a DIY Silpoly. I used the plans from DIYgearsupply, but stretched it to 12' long and no cat cuts. In hind sight I would have followed the plan to the T. 12' is too long, and Silpoly needs cat cuts to keep it tight. It keeps the rain off, though, so it has that going for it.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by androidm View Post
    Nice trip report! Beautiful area up there. I have camped around that area myself! Used Rockwood Outfitter too....Very nice people!
    Very nice people! Mike is very knowledgeable and very helpful. We normally use Sawbill, but threw a dart at the map this year and got real lucky.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great report. And the photos weren't to shabby either.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Great report. And the photos weren't to shabby either.
    Glad you enjoyed. My smartphone tries really hard to compensate for what a poor photographer I am.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    I hope you might still be around to answer a couple questions.

First, I'm considering paddling in this area in the near future. Three options I'm considering are as follows:

1) Cross Bay to Poplar. This route generally runs west to east, with the prevailing winds. Winchell and Gaskins are two lakes that I really want to see no matter which route. Poplar seems a convenient place to end. I assume Rockwood would be a good outfitter to use, and they could shuttle us to the entry point and be our ending point on Poplar.

2) Poplar to Winchell, out-and-back. In through Lizz, down to Winchell as you did.... Maybe two nights on Winchell and back out the way we came.

3) The loop you did.

What did you think of the northern lakes (Omega, Hensen, Meeds)? This would help me decide between the out-and-back and the loop.

Was Winchell fantastic? Some seem to think it's one of the very best lakes in the park!

Thanks for your feedback.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Wow... great pic!

Thanks too for the trip report. Other than a little wind & cold, it sounds like you guys had pretty decent weather all around. I've always wanted to do a canoe or kayak trip since you can pack a few more conveniences & luxuries to make an outing a little more "civilized". Don't think I've ever had grilled steak & wine on the trail before!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I highly recommend the loop that we did. Though an in and out to Winchell wouldn't be bad, either. You really can't lose in that area.
    Winchell is very nice. Hard to pick an absolute favorite of mine up there but it'd be up there. We camped on the point closest to the Omega portage, that is definitely one of my all time favorite camp sites.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingKansas View Post
    I hope you might still be around to answer a couple questions.

First, I'm considering paddling in this area in the near future. Three options I'm considering are as follows:

1) Cross Bay to Poplar. This route generally runs west to east, with the prevailing winds. Winchell and Gaskins are two lakes that I really want to see no matter which route. Poplar seems a convenient place to end. I assume Rockwood would be a good outfitter to use, and they could shuttle us to the entry point and be our ending point on Poplar.

2) Poplar to Winchell, out-and-back. In through Lizz, down to Winchell as you did.... Maybe two nights on Winchell and back out the way we came.

3) The loop you did.

What did you think of the northern lakes (Omega, Hensen, Meeds)? This would help me decide between the out-and-back and the loop.

Was Winchell fantastic? Some seem to think it's one of the very best lakes in the park!

Thanks for your feedback.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast