Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmm... Maybe this is why I started yelling at the kind video guy who was trying to teach me trucker's hitch this weekend.
    One at a time you say... that's brilliant!

Ok - this is becoming more manageable. I appreciate your advice greatly!
    Juli

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Not to confuse you more, but it is good to know trucker's and truckie hitch difference.

Hammock
    DIY 10ft dbl layer 1.1RS
    Tarp
    Hennesey 12x10 hex
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Some great advice here already! From my experience I can tell you that you've come to the right place for any hammock related questions.

My $0.02: the cinch buckle is super simple and no knots. I've never used it on my rig but I have used ascender rings as ring buckles (same concept) on hammocks I've made for friends of mine who are knot noobies. I remember learning how to use ring buckles in elementary school gymn class for flag football and such. Super easy!

Thanks for hipping me to the Truckie Hitch 99Star! Definitely switching from the trucker's hitch.
    “A taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper” - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Knot-head, noob, or knot-free...
    What probably needs to be mentioned real quickly is the fact that knots are always there. No matter how many yards of ultra strength, Micro nano, paraspetrumdynamotic cord you have, how much ultralight titanium-molybdenum-unseenium bling you buy, you are ALWAYS going to find yourself in a situation where you need to tie a knot.
    Your bling is the wrong size for the line you have. You need to tie two lengths of super cord together. Something falls apart, and it has to be tied up.
    Knowing a few basic knots can save your *** in the worst case scenarios. In the best case scenarios, knowing a few basic knots, [and a few more that are just plain cool], you can accomplish something you wouldn't have otherwise be able to do... jury rig something handy that nobody has made bling for yet... tweak something until it is abso-positively-genuine PERFECT for YOU.

But you have to know what a good knot for the chore is and how to tie it right, or you are SOOL...

Learn some, use some.
    Heck, create a new one... like that ultra-nifty Farramond Hitch I just found a couple of weeks ago that's way handier than a plain prussic.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Welcome to a fellow Mass... well, you know

You really can't go wrong with Dutch's hardware. I have Stingerz that I use on my tarps in lieu of a continuous ridgeline. I have Fleaz and Wasps and Flyz. All reduce the need for knots. Fact is, unless the weather is really unruly (high wind, heavy snow, etc.) you can muddle through without real knots - just wrap and pull enough and eventually the cord will be made fast. All tying knots the "correct" way does is make things easier to take apart and make things more likely to stay fast when under high stress. Heck, for most of my younger life I square-knotted everything and then just cut the end off the rope every time I wanted to untie something ... cord is cheap!

In my 25+ years of camping there are a few things that I would suggest mastering though; they'll make hammocking much easier.

1. The timber hitch. Not really a knot but a lashing. Used to secure cord to a round (or nearly round) object like a tree, branch, post, etc. Extremely useful for tying out a tarp to trees or branches.
    2. The Lark's head. (Also known as the Cow Hitch.) Make a loop in the end of a cord (with an overhand loop). Pull the long end through the loop. Do this around the ring on a tarp or a branch and viola - very strong attachment.
    3. The Marlinspike hitch. Used for some hammock suspensions (whoopie slings with toggles) and I use this all the time to attach my tarp tie-outs to stakes when there is no convenient branch or tree. With some Dutch Flyz or Tarpworms on the tarp tie-outs no other knots are needed for a perfectly tensioned tarp.
    4. The slippery half-hitch. A loop around something with the end tucked up into the loop but left hanging. A single tug pulls it out. This is an important safety backup for webbing suspensions. You've also tied this thousands of times (especially if you have kids). Most shoes are tied with two slippery half-hitches.

I never really tie anything else anymore. Good luck. See you on the trail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

I love knots. Really. But I avoid using them as much as possible with Zing It. Hardware and Zing It is so much easier to deal with for most tarp rigging. And I assumed that's where most of this was heading.

Can't disagree about the value of knowing at least some basic knots because you never know when one might truly turn a bad situation around.

Hammock
    DIY 10ft dbl layer 1.1RS
    Tarp
    Hennesey 12x10 hex
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dutch makes some great bling and its fun to and easy to use. However knowing a few knots for emergencies is a good idea. Plus knots a fun hobby. Once you've mastered a knot its pretty easy to remember. Most of us mastered the shoelace bow as toddlers and I doubt we'll ever forget how to tie our shoes.
    “A taste for the beautiful is most cultivated out of doors, where there is no house and no housekeeper” - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Paging @Dutch

If he doesn't reply to the thread, you can also shoot him an email - go to his site, scroll down & you'll see the Contact Us button.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie8 View Post
    I gotta face it. I just CAN NOT tie knots. I have watched the videos. Bless Shug and the rest for trying to teach me. I simply have a knot tying disability.

The good news is I have 3 teenage boys I - can pass my old gear to them and buy new stuff with lower guilt.

I am upgrading to a BB XLC and superFly with UQ and I am not sharing!
    My goal is to be independent with my set up - no knots, no help from the kids.

From the videos I think the Dutchware looks intuitive and I can manage it better. Am I on the right track switching to hardware? (Weight is not my concern - I can still throw stuff in my kids packs without them catching on

Question is Exactly what hardware should I buy to set up my new rig, including tarp?
    thank you!
    Julie
    Here is what I use with the most regularity for my hiking rig. This is what I have found is the easiest and fastest set up.

Hammock- Whoopie hook suspension only I use 4 foot kevlar huggers. I don't use Dutch Clips for this suspension.
    Quilt-quilt hangers and ridgeline quilt hooks I used different colors to show which is head end.
    Tarp-Tarp Flyz with lash it. Sometimes I use stingerz if I want to remove them but Flyz are still my favorite. Hook worms on the tie outs with lawson reflective cord. I tie the cord to the stakes so I can't lose them and the line gets packed separately.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast