Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My costco throw mod

So after buying 3 costco down throws i wanted to make a 30ish degree UQ and a summer TQ. Long story short is i seamripped the horizontal baffles out of 2 throws, harvested the down from one and put it into the now long sewnthrough baffle of the other. Then i'd seamrip the verticle baffle in order to get that down(suprisingly a lot of down is caught between the stitching. all in all about 4-5 hours work and i still have to add grosgrain/shock cord etc once i get my dutch order.

size is 44X69 inches (i took the outside baffles and distributed the down to the center, thinking i'd still have 50 inches but by increasing the volume of the baffles i shortened it by 6 inches )

IMG_20151004_135613255.jpg

IMG_20151004_135658644.jpg

Now im left with 4 baffles by 60 inches which im planning on sewing onto the bottom of my last throw to make a TQ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler Double-Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Costco Throw UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow! You did it! That's a TON of work, so good for you. I just finished cleaning up my house from the Costco down that has been floating around for the past week. I'm sure I'll be seeing faint somethings out of the corner of my eye for months. How did you keep the mess-factor at a minimum? Did you wet it?

My UQ is 2 layers: 40" x 60" outer layer and 30" x 60" inner layer. Today I found that to be fine in 50 degree weather. I will test it this week for lower temps which we are getting here in the PNW. I wonder if there's a difference between two layers of the purchased throw vs. a single layer with double-down. Let us know your results

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Enigma
    Suspension
    Hybrid Straps, BH
    Great job. And we're approaching the season to try it out. I'll be interested to see how it does in the colder weather. Standing by for a field report.
    RB
    https://lighterpack.com/r/axwxk6

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the report. Let me ask, is the baffle stitching still sewn through both sides of the fabric (making a cold strip)? If so, I'm wondering what you might think of just sewing two of the throws together. A little more weight, but I wonder if a lot more warmth.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by GingerR View Post
    Wow! You did it! That's a TON of work, so good for you. I just finished cleaning up my house from the Costco down that has been floating around for the past week. I'm sure I'll be seeing faint somethings out of the corner of my eye for months. How did you keep the mess-factor at a minimum? Did you wet it?

My UQ is 2 layers: 40" x 60" outer layer and 30" x 60" inner layer. Today I found that to be fine in 50 degree weather. I will test it this week for lower temps which we are getting here in the PNW. I wonder if there's a difference between two layers of the purchased throw vs. a single layer with double-down. Let us know your results
    I've been studying a lot for exams coming up this week so i'd study for 2 hours work on the quilt for an hour study for 2 hours work on the quilt for an hour. So all in all while it was a decent amount of work by the end it went pretty fast once i got in a groove. No i basically shook all the down into the bottom of the long "baffle" ripped the seam out the slowly and carefully pulled the down from one quilt and put it into a funnel into the other quilt. a little messy but nothing crazy as long as i was careful.

Yea i think i read people had used single layers into the lower 50's and thought it might be ok high 40's if you were a warm sleeper. i'm hopin for mid 30's.. but the baffles are sewn through so it might need an underquilt protector we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Thanks for the report. Let me ask, is the baffle stitching still sewn through both sides of the fabric (making a cold strip)? If so, I'm wondering what you might think of just sewing two of the throws together. A little more weight, but I wonder if a lot more warmth.
    Yea still sewn through both sides. I'm hoping it will get to mid 30's which outside of deep winter should do me good. If not I might try an underquilt protector and if all that fails i will probably re-harvest the down and try my hand at an actual baffled quilt. I'm not the handiest with a sewing machine so its all a bit of a learning process.

Nice job. Do the stitch holes from the removed thread, seal up? Is the down trying to sneak out of those holes? Thanks.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Nice work, not sure if it was you who was asking, but I read another post where someone mentioned doing something similar. I thought it sounded like too much work for the reward, but looks like you pulled it off without too much trouble. Well done.

Hope it serves you well.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by michgan241 View Post
    I've been studying a lot for exams coming up this week so i'd study for 2 hours work on the quilt for an hour study for 2 hours work on the quilt for an hour. So all in all while it was a decent amount of work by the end it went pretty fast once i got in a groove. No i basically shook all the down into the bottom of the long "baffle" ripped the seam out the slowly and carefully pulled the down from one quilt and put it into a funnel into the other quilt. a little messy but nothing crazy as long as i was careful.

Yea i think i read people had used single layers into the lower 50's and thought it might be ok high 40's if you were a warm sleeper. i'm hopin for mid 30's.. but the baffles are sewn through so it might need an underquilt protector we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by michgan241 View Post
    Yea still sewn through both sides. I'm hoping it will get to mid 30's which outside of deep winter should do me good. If not I might try an underquilt protector and if all that fails i will probably re-harvest the down and try my hand at an actual baffled quilt. I'm not the handiest with a sewing machine so its all a bit of a learning process.
    I think to gingerR's and rainman's point, (unless I am understanding it wrong) that although you are getting more warmth in a single baffle, less weight by having less fabric, and more flowing down... Could it also be a hinderance to have a single layer/double filled quilt, vs a double layered/single filled quilt, because maybe there will be less effect from cold spots due to sewn through baffles with the redundancy of multiple layers. I am just clarifiying what I think their points and questions are, and I am curious about this myself, as I am also playing with these throws... In fact, I was playing with a simple folded over throw making a 60x35 UQ.

Having said all that... This looks awesome and I think that so far, this is the most impressive thing I have seen come out of these coscto quilts
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Nice job. Do the stitch holes from the removed thread, seal up? Is the down trying to sneak out of those holes? Thanks.
    initially they hung around, but i threw it into the dryer with some tennis balls to distribute the down and fluff it up a bit and they are more or less sealed. No down was leaking when i pulled it out and just double checked, it looks good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast