Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel

Costco Down Throw Top Quilt

I bought 6 of the Costco down throws to make top quilts and underquilts for me and my 2 kids. This is how I decided to make my top quilt.

Since these throws are only 60"x70" and I'm 6'1", I was worried about shortening the quilt much by trying to add the foot box. I started playing around clipping the quilt in various configurations to see what would be best. It seems like some have decided to remove a row of squares from one quilt and add them to another to make a top quilt but I didn't want to have to purchase any more quilt to do this. This is what I came up:

2015-10-01 14.44.17.jpg
    2015-10-01 14.44.28.jpg

I spread the quilt out and decided to use it diagonally to get the maximum length. I folded one corner in by three squares then brought the sides in to match it. I clipped the edges together on each side of the triangle. I then joined the 2 sides together for the length of 3 squares. I borrowed my daughter's hammock in her room to check it out. It seemed to work very well. I folded the top corner down and under to keep it from hitting my face. My shoulders fit will in the angled top as well and had good amount of room to tuck the quilt under if necessary. The best part is that the center is really wide. There is plenty of room to move and even roll over on my side. I decided to move forward and inject some thread.

2015-10-01 22.42.36.jpg
    2015-10-01 22.42.52.jpg

This is what it looked like when I finished. I haven't tried it out yet but I think it will be great. Although, I'm very new to all of this and have nothing to compare it to. The price was definitely right and it seems to be pretty warm.

Thanks to all of you here. I've been hanging out for 4 or 5 months now and every question I could think of has been answered already. I think this is my first post and hopefully there will be many more as I move forward.

Bobby

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Very creative. What's the length now?
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    AHE 3S TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Excellent idea!!! I have a couple of these and have been playing with configurations as well for a TQ and haven't come up with one I like yet so I'll have to look into this.
    Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Dbl Wide Hex
    Insulation
    Inc 0, Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Tree straps, cb
    I am curious to see what temp this 700 fill will go to. If someone finds out, please let us know.
    Slider1
    Survival gear...ten White Castle hamburgers and my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Very creative. What's the length now?
    From the tip at the top, to the bottom of the footbox, it's about 75" long. Since I fold the tip down a little bit, it ends up being about 68"-70".

Bobby

Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by JPFREEK View Post
    Excellent idea!!! I have a couple of these and have been playing with configurations as well for a TQ and haven't come up with one I like yet so I'll have to look into this.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks. It's the least I could do for all that I've learned from everyone here. I'm just happy to see that someone likes my idea.

Bobby

Hammock
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    Costco Down Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider1 View Post
    I am curious to see what temp this 700 fill will go to. If someone finds out, please let us know.
    The general consensus from this thread is that they are good down to about 50 degrees. If you are a warm sleeper, you might be good down to the mid 40s. There are a couple of accounts in that thread of folks testing them. Its a long thread but well worth the read if you are seriously thinking about these.

Bobby

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is another idea. At 60" wide, that is more width than is typically needed for a top quilt. Just look at the specs for top quilts from the various vendors here. Clipping off 1 or two columns of the quilt to reduce its width to 50" or so and then adding the clipped off squares to the bottom of the quilt to increase its length.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    NeoAir All-Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Here is another idea. At 60" wide, that is more width than is typically needed for a top quilt. Just look at the specs for top quilts from the various vendors here. Clipping off 1 or two columns of the quilt to reduce its width to 50" or so and then adding the clipped off squares to the bottom of the quilt to increase its length.

Cheers

Brian
    Yup, that's pretty much my TQ plan, except I plan to use the clipped off squares to make a footbox. With plenty left over for a down hat or something.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I bought 3 today.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast