Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

AR Eagle Rock Loop

any suggestions on backpacking the Eagle Rock Loop in AR? I'm planning a CCW hike in late Oct or early Nov, starting at the Albert Pike Trailhead. If anyone has done this trail recently and has any suggestions, helpful tips, etc, let me know. If anyone has an inclination to go, let me know, right now the dates are tentative. It's a 26.8 mile loop, here's a link to the website
    http://www.duprephotography.com/ERL/index.html
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong. John Gierach

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've not done it in over 10 years, but I loved it. We started at the northeastern part of the loop and hiked it around clockwise. I loved it, especially the Winding Staircase portion.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Not sure if you are aware but Albert Pike is closed to overnight parking. I always like to start at the Blaylock TH and go CCW. It splits the mountains on the Athens-Big Fork section so you don't have to tackle them all in one day.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I saw that Hambone, looking at the trail maps, there appears to be a parking area just north of Albert Pike at forest service road 512. It's says there is parking available there. Anybody have confirmation of this?
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong. John Gierach

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    There are some places to park along 512. But they are more the pull off type places. Also, you will have a hike over to the trail (get the maps). You could consider the Little Mo trail head. While that can't be used over night, there is also a "pasture" type lot right off it and you can park in there. The Winding Stair trail head is another place and also has parking and is just about 10 minutes driving from Albert Pike. If you don't have the water proof maps yet, get them.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by tdecell View Post
    I saw that Hambone, looking at the trail maps, there appears to be a parking area just north of Albert Pike at forest service road 512. It's says there is parking available there. Anybody have confirmation of this?

There is a small parking area just after you cross the bridge on FR 512 where the LMT crosses. It is just outside of Albert Pike which means it gets quite a bit of traffic through the area. I've never been too keen to leave a vehicle there overnight. Not that I know of there being any problems there, just my own worry.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Also CLICK THIS for Backpacking Arkansas. There is an entire sub-forum just for the ERL. You also need to be aware of the river crossings over the Little Mo, at the Winding Stair area. There is a water gauge at "Langley" and the rule of thumb is, if it is over 4.5 feet, then it is too dangerous to be around the Little Mo where the two crossings are. All that information is in the Backpacking Arkansas link.
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    none yet..
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    rhjanes, thanks for the info. I'll keep looking to find a parking area to start. I did find the backpackingarkansas.com site. A LOT of really good info there. I do plan to get the maps from Charlie Williams. Looking to be a nice hike. Just need to pick a good weekend with good weather. Thanks y'all!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Like Hambone, I parked at the Blaylock trailhead except I went clockwise. I had no problems parking there. Your timing should be great for fall leaf color.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I think Gimpy and I camped at the Blaylock parking area, but it was a weekday so we thought it would be OK as far as no drunks. There was an elderly gentleman camping who pointed out a nice camp area to us as we were thinking to camp in the woods a bit. That rock lot is nice. Good place to park. But is next to the creek and not as large as say Winding Stair (which also has a privy). Last I was in Winding Stair lot, there was like two horse trailers parked in there, my F250 Crew Cab, and maybe 8 other cars and plenty of room for more.
    Call me Junior

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast