Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    What is your material of preference and does it pack down well?

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    What is your material of preference and does it pack down well?
    Right now my tarp material of preference is SilPoly 2nd Gen, It packs down really well, (a full 12' hex tarp weighs 15 ounces, and packs down to about the size of a soft ball) and is an absolute dream to work with. It doesn't slip when sewing, it doesn't stretch when sewing. It's also really strong. At the Maine Lighthouse and Lobster Hang, one of my neighbors in the campground cut through our site, and tripped on a guyline. The 1/2" webbing I used on the tieout ripped out, leaving the stitching and the Silpoly body 100% intact. I could not be happier with this fabric.

The Silpoly PU4000 is the same base fabric (I believe) with a slightly thicker coating. Everything that I said about the Silpoly applies to this fabric as well. Slightly heavier (.16 oz/yd˛ more) but still no stretch and strong.
    Last edited by hk2001; 10-03-2015 at 14:47.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I second hk2001's choice. I also like the fact that you don't have to use cat cuts which makes tarp making, so much easier.....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Thanks HK2001, I really appreciate your input and FJR pilot for your acknowledgement also. Now, I have never made a tarp before, but considering that PU4000 doesn't slip or stretch when sewing I think I will order some PU4000 and make a tarp. I'm not very experienced at sewing, but I'm getting better. I have several machines (kind of got on a sewing binge a couple of years ago) bought a Singer 403A in cabinet, really good buy, didn't even know how to thread it ($35.00). It works great. A long arm (really short) Jeans Machine, by White. A Thompson walking foot (older mch.) And my last sewing machine, a real treasure (Singer 221 featherweight made in the fifties) not a scratch on it, cam in the case w/all attachments for it and the key to the locks. Bought from a sewing machine shop from a young man that needed to sell it. It was his friends grandmother who has stored it for a long time. It had that old-old storage smell and my wife wanted me to get rid of it, but after more than a year, it doesn't smell to bad now! I kinda liked that smell. Kinda got off the subject, didn't I? I'm not sure which machine to use. The 301A sews well and has the cabinet. The long (short) arm mch. sews well, but at it's widest thread setting, they are to close together. The walking foot is for the big stuff, so it's out. The only machine left is the 221 featherweight. It's a dream, I know why quilters love this machine, it sews a beautiful straight stitch, you can see the feed dog moving in a more effective motion, feeding the fabric with seemingly a greater degree control. I love that machine. Now what do you recommend as to the type seam to use for the ridge line and edges of the tarp, the pulls and how would you do the doors? Did I leave something out?

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Thanks HK2001, I really appreciate your input and FJR pilot for your acknowledgement also. Now, I have never made a tarp before, but considering that PU4000 doesn't slip or stretch when sewing I think I will order some PU4000 and make a tarp. I'm not very experienced at sewing, but I'm getting better. I have several machines (kind of got on a sewing binge a couple of years ago) bought a Singer 403A in cabinet, really good buy, didn't even know how to thread it ($35.00). It works great. A long arm (really short) Jeans Machine, by White. A Thompson walking foot (older mch.) And my last sewing machine, a real treasure (Singer 221 featherweight made in the fifties) not a scratch on it, cam in the case w/all attachments for it and the key to the locks. Bought from a sewing machine shop from a young man that needed to sell it. It was his friends grandmother who has stored it for a long time. It had that old-old storage smell and my wife wanted me to get rid of it, but after more than a year, it doesn't smell to bad now! I kinda liked that smell. Kinda got off the subject, didn't I? I'm not sure which machine to use. The 301A sews well and has the cabinet. The long (short) arm mch. sews well, but at it's widest thread setting, they are to close together. The walking foot is for the big stuff, so it's out. The only machine left is the 221 featherweight. It's a dream, I know why quilters love this machine, it sews a beautiful straight stitch, you can see the feed dog moving in a more effective motion, feeding the fabric with seemingly a greater degree control. I love that machine. Now what do you recommend as to the type seam to use for the ridge line and edges of the tarp, the pulls and how would you do the doors? Did I leave something out?
    do you have facebook? While I didn't do a write up, I took dozens of pictures while making a RBTR hex tarp kit. Posting pictures here on hammock forums is tedious. The uploader is archaic, and your limited in the number of pics per post. So I just slapped them all on facebook and they got shared into the various hammocking groups. That will answer most of your questions.

I haven't made a winter tarp in years. I find I don't use doors enough to justify it. However, I have made add on doors in the past.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6 9'8"
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    Amsteel 7/64"
    [QUOTE=hk2001;1522668]Sadly, the testing done here really doesn't yield any usable results. I've got years of experience working quality control for various fabric mills and printing plants, and the one thing I can tell you: A localized test like this is meaningless without consistent testing.

For instance, the tester suggests that he was pulling on the fabrics to simulate a high pressure area (IE an Elbow) pushing on the fabric. The problem is, the forces of something like an elbow pushing on the fabric like that is much different than the forces exerted by grabbing and pulling. Not only that, but the overall affected area is greater with the elbow.

I agree with most of that, however, lying diagonally would exert force very similar to what he described as "Pulling against the grain." I ordered some Hexon 1.6 for a SL hammock and, having now read this, I think Hexon IS better suited for diagonal sleeping. That being said, I will try out some HyperD 1.6 and see which I prefer comfort-wise.

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Thanks for all the input guys. I made my diy top and bottom quilt with some Ripstop from Joanne's fabic. It's a little stiff ,but I'm happy with it's performance for a first time job and new hanger. Truth is I didn't even know these other fabrics existed till recently. When I make my own hammock(soon) I'm gonna buy both Hexon 1.6 and hyper D 1.6 make two and see what I like best. Give other one to son. Thanks again for posting recommendations. I was lost in choices.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    Right now my tarp material of preference is SilPoly 2nd Gen, It packs down really well, (a full 12' hex tarp weighs 15 ounces, and packs down to about the size of a soft ball) and is an absolute dream to work with. It doesn't slip when sewing, it doesn't stretch when sewing. It's also really strong. At the Maine Lighthouse and Lobster Hang, one of my neighbors in the campground cut through our site, and tripped on a guyline. The 1/2" webbing I used on the tieout ripped out, leaving the stitching and the Silpoly body 100% intact. I could not be happier with this fabric.

The Silpoly PU4000 is the same base fabric (I believe) with a slightly thicker coating. Everything that I said about the Silpoly applies to this fabric as well. Slightly heavier (.16 oz/yd˛ more) but still no stretch and strong.

Thanks hk2001, I'm currently looking at RSBTR for a big winter tarp. Have you done any testing of the new Membrain fabric? It looks like a great tarp material, but I haven't found any test results or user comments.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...It had that old-old storage smell and my wife wanted me to get rid of it, but after more than a year, it doesn't smell to bad now!...
    The Singer 221 has a replaceable felt, oil pan drip pad that is the most likely source of the odor. They only cost ~$4.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123