Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images

Post Fabric Test Results

I ordered 5 sample fabrics to test for my upcoming DIY Hammock. Here are the fabrics that I tested:

• Ripstop Nylon 1.9
    • HyperD 1.6
    • HEX70 2.1
    • Hexon 1.6
    • Hexon 2.4

Softness

The first test was softness. I performed a blind test by rubbing each fabric on the back of my hand. I repeated this test three times. Below are the results (1 is the softest, 5 is the roughest).

1. HyperD 1.6
    2. Hexon 1.6
    3. Ripstop Nylon 1.9
    4. Hexon 2.4
    5. HEX70 2.2

In general, fabric softness was strongly associated with its weight (e.g. 1.6oz/yd). The exception was HEX70, which was especially rough. The ripstop lines on the HEX70 seemed to be raised more than the other fabrics, which seemed to be responsible for the rough feel.

Strength (localized)

The second test was localized strength. For this test, I grasped the fabric using my thumb and index finger with both hands. I began with the side of my thumbs touching, then pulled and rolled my hands apart about 1 inch while grasping firmly. This test is intended to simulate a localized load, such as a heel or elbow jabbing into the fabric. All of the fabrics performed well when my pull was oriented with the grain. They all became permanently distorted to some degree when my pull was oriented against the grain. My rating was determined by how well the fabric stood up to this test. I repeated these tests no less than three times for each fabric. Below is the results (1 is the strongest, 5 is the weakest).

1. Hexon 2.4
    2. Hexon 1.6
    3. Hex70 2.2
    4. HyperD 1.6
    5. Ripstop Nylon 1.9

The ripstop on the Hexon 1.6 and 2.4 performed significantly better than the others. With the other fabrics, strands began to pull apart across multiple adjacent ripstop cells. Additionally, each individual cell would collapse or expand - affecting (weakening) the adjacent cells. With the ripstop on the Hexon fabrics, the strands only pulled apart within individual cells (though the same pattern existed through all of the cells that pressure was being applied) and each cell was able to maintain its original shape and size.

Summary

If your priority is softness, HyperD is for you. If you desire the best localized strength, the Hexon fabrics are the way to go. And for those that want the most well rounded fabric, you cannot go wrong with Hexon 1.6. As for my upcoming DIY Hammock? I will be using Hexon 1.6.

Photos

Hexon 1.6
    Hexon 1.6.jpg

Hexon 2.4
    Hexon 2.4.jpg

HyperD 1.6
    HyperD 1.6.jpg

Ripstop Nylon 1.9
    Nylon 1.9.jpg

HEX70 2.2
    HEX70 2.2.jpg

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    great post, sir! this is what we needed to be able to fully tout the hexon as the best. thanks man!! now you should do a lil test with some hexon 1.0 and add its data in the tables,as im not sure which of the two i want to purchase 11 yards of to make 3 hammocks for some family who has seen the light.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 1.6 Hex
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Toggles
    Excellent explanation of the different fabric properties. I will be referencing this when I go to purchase for my DIY project.

Thanks!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I feel like unless you're building a pack (for which HyperD 300 is best, in my opinion) you're not gonna see forces like what was applied by your fingers - the forces are far more focused from your fingers than it would be from a knee or elbow which applies force over a considerably larger area. The best test for tensile strength on the fabric itself as applicable to hammock making is to actually make a hammock (basic, doesn't have to be anything magical or special) and load it up with bags of mulch or soil until you've reached the breaking point...if you reach the breaking point.

I know definitively that all of the fabrics tested are good AT LEAST up to 400 lbs. in hammock building applications.
    Last edited by Gresh; 09-29-2015 at 09:39.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling/spik
    Thank you for the info. This is a great DIY guide for the material.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    The forces are far more focused from your fingers than it would be from a knee or elbow which applies force over a considerably larger area.
    Another example, if you don't like those, would be if your hammock got snagged on something while pulling on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    The best test for tensile strength on the fabric itself as applicable to hammock making is to actually make a hammock (basic, doesn't have to be anything magical or special) and load it up with bags of mulch or soil until you've reached the breaking point...if you reach the breaking point.

I know definitively that all of the fabrics tested are good AT LEAST up to 400 lbs. in hammock building applications.
    Yes, that is why I do not speak to the advertised fabric weight rating. I will trust the vendors' ratings there.

Something I find interesting about the test results is how the fabric is poised to perform after the immediate damage occurs. We are able to see how the distortion patterns impact the potential for continued damage (how well the ripstop can stop the rip).

All but the Hexon 1.6 and 2.4 fabrics distorted such that the adjacent cells are weakened - primed for continued failure. We also see that the strand separation continues through adjacent cells - new leverage / snag points to continue the rip from. Because damage creates a domino effect of adjacent cell distortion/weakening and pulled strands are able to continue through the ripstop, continued damage is at best slowed down once the initial damage occurs.

With the Hexon 1.6 and 2.4 fabrics, the ripstop cells remained in tact and pulled strands do not continue through the ripstop. Because the integrity of the ripstop remains intact, the damage is contained and any continued damage would require another significant incident.

To really get a sense of my meaning, I encourage you to take a look through the photographs of the resulting damage and examine the ripstop cell structure and the characteristics of the pulled strands at the damage sites. You can clearly see how the Hexon 1.6 and 2.4 fabrics contain the damage and the others do not.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That was a very interesting read. Thanks for the test and the results!
    I keep learning and will never know enough.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    great post, sir! this is what we needed to be able to fully tout the hexon as the best. thanks man!!
    Sadly, the testing done here really doesn't yield any usable results. I've got years of experience working quality control for various fabric mills and printing plants, and the one thing I can tell you: A localized test like this is meaningless without consistent testing.

For instance, the tester suggests that he was pulling on the fabrics to simulate a high pressure area (IE an Elbow) pushing on the fabric. The problem is, the forces of something like an elbow pushing on the fabric like that is much different than the forces exerted by grabbing and pulling. Not only that, but the overall affected area is greater with the elbow.

To properly test the tensile strength of any of the fabrics requires a pretty specialized machine, but the jist of it is that you need to be able to compare how much force is put on each fabric to get the results. For arguments sake, take the tableclothfactory table cloths that a lot people used before the introduction of these high tech fabrics. I can grab on to them as troyji did, and pull them apart to the point where I can read through them. Yet I've seen people pushing 300lbs in them. Why? Because one test does not equate to the other. The way the forces stress the fabric are completely different. The tablecloths lack a ripstop grid of any type, so the threads can move more freely. That doesn't mean it fails as a hammock.

The other question when it comes to hammocks is comfort. The OP has proven that on a small scale the Hexon stretches less. From that, it could be fairly assumed that on a whole, the hammock will remain stiffer. Unlike tarps, some stretch in a hammock body is a good thing. It translates a lot to the comfort of the lay, and the hammocks ability to conform to the user.

I can tell you I own hammocks made out of nearly every fabric on the market HyperD in all forms, PolyD 1.4, Argon 1.6, Nylon D 1.6, Epsilon Multicam (1.55) and various other fabrics. My first HyperD 1.6 hammock has over 100 nights in it, with me (ranging from 230-270lbs) and gear. I've pushed that hammock over 400lbs chilling out in various places with my wife in the hammock with me.

That being said, I was able to lay in a hammock made of Hexon (I don't know which weight) at the Maine Lighthouse and Lobster Hang, and I didn't like it. It felt much stiffer than any of the other dozen or so materials I have hammocks made out of.

Take my QC experience as you will, but saying these results instantly give Hexon the title of the best is a highly inaccurate and overly biased statement.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Found a couple of relevant videos on the testing procedures for fabrics. I'd be interested to see all of these go through something like this, especially that medieval torture test there in the third video.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    Sadly, the testing done here really doesn't yield any usable results. I've got years of experience working quality control for various fabric mills and printing plants...
    The usefulness of these tests is a matter of opinion. In reality, there are a bunch of new DIY fellows around with minimal test results available to help guide their decision on what type of fabric they might wish to try first. The two main criteria I worry about myself are 1) how soft the fabric is to the touch, and 2) how does the fabric hold up if I were to damage it by accident. To be fair, I don't need fancy machinery to tell me how soft the fabric is to the touch, nor to observe how the fabric distorts when moderate pressure is applied. I found that these two tests helped in my decision making, but I understand if you prefer something more scientific. I described my methods in detail as full disclosure to the reader, after all.

To properly test the tensile strength of any of the fabrics requires a pretty specialized machine... The way the forces stress the fabric are completely different. The tablecloths lack a ripstop grid of any type, so the threads can move more freely. That doesn't mean it fails as a hammock.
    I completely agree... which is why I make no claims about tensile strength, compression strength, or weight capacity. The tests required are beyond anything one can perform from their home with 6"x6" fabric samples. I defer to the vendors' specifications for this.

I can tell you I own hammocks made out of nearly every fabric on the market HyperD in all forms, PolyD 1.4, Argon 1.6, Nylon D 1.6, Epsilon Multicam (1.55) and various other fabrics. My first HyperD 1.6 hammock has over 100 nights in it, with me (ranging from 230-270lbs) and gear
    I would love for you to give your feedback in this thread about your experience with each (your opinion is satisfactory, no scientific method required). I anticipate that the other readers would appreciate your feedback as well.

That being said, I was able to lay in a hammock made of Hexon (I don't know which weight) at the Maine Lighthouse and Lobster Hang, and I didn't like it. It felt much stiffer than any of the other dozen or so materials I have hammocks made out of.
    I have heard differing opinions on comfort of the Hexon, as one would expect - though the majority seem to love it. Unfortunately, I cannot gauge this until I actually get to lay in one - and we all know comfort comes down to personal preference.

Take my QC experience as you will, but saying these results instantly give Hexon the title of the best is a highly inaccurate and overly biased statement.
    I would agree - which is why I have not made said claim, myself. Of the two criteria I tested (softness to the touch and how the fabric/ripstop hold ups to moderate pressure) with the procedure I performed and ranked them by (which is describe in detail for reference) the Hexon fabrics came out on top.

I invite you to redirect your passionate energies to help us improve our understanding of the various fabrics available to us. Sincerely.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast